Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is there a Sale of Goods Act in the UAE?

Is there a Sale of Goods Act in the UAE?

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there a Sale of Goods Act in the UAE?

So, I bought my husband an iPhone 4 yesterday. When we got it home and plugged it in to charge it, it was clear that it was not charging. We followed all the online advice we could find, but still, it's not working. It is not charging. At all. Through computer or wall with any charger. There is clearly something wrong with it. So...

We took it back to the shop I bought it from (mobile phone shop in Dubai Mall). I had my receipt, etc. They told me that they would not exchange it or give me my money back as "it's Etisalat's problem as the Warranty is with them". My husband went mental at them, but to no avail. So we went to Etisalat who at first told us it was nothing to do with them and took us back to the shop to explain this to the shop, then told us that we have to ring 101 to lodge a complaint, then wait for IT to call us, who will then email me a Reference Code which I then have to take to the shop where I bought it, the shop then has to email that code back to Etisalat who then approve it and email it back to the shop. Who can then give us a replacement unit.

Having lived here for a while, I can only guess how long this will take. It is a complete PITA. Also, I know that that was the last one of that model in the shop.

Has anybody been in this situation before and can offer advice? I just want my money back so that I can go and buy another phone from somewhere else.

Thanks.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:24 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a Sale of Goods Act in the UAE?

Is this any help?

http://www.consumerrights.ae/
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
ring 101 to lodge a complaint, then wait for IT to call us, who will then email me a Reference Code which I then have to take to the shop where I bought it, the shop then has to email that code back to Etisalat who then approve it and email it back to the shop. Who can then give us a replacement unit.

That's correct....I had an iPhone replaced by Carrefour earlier this year and had to follow this procedure. It took a couple of days to sort out.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - really helpful
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 2:41 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

So, I bought my husband an iPhone 4 yesterday. When we got it home and plugged it in to charge it, it was clear that it was not charging. We followed all the online advice we could find, but still, it's not working. It is not charging. At all. Through computer or wall with any charger. There is clearly something wrong with it. So...

We took it back to the shop I bought it from (mobile phone shop in Dubai Mall). I had my receipt, etc. They told me that they would not exchange it or give me my money back as "it's Etisalat's problem as the Warranty is with them". My husband went mental at them, but to no avail. So we went to Etisalat who at first told us it was nothing to do with them and took us back to the shop to explain this to the shop, then told us that we have to ring 101 to lodge a complaint, then wait for IT to call us, who will then email me a Reference Code which I then have to take to the shop where I bought it, the shop then has to email that code back to Etisalat who then approve it and email it back to the shop. Who can then give us a replacement unit.

Having lived here for a while, I can only guess how long this will take. It is a complete PITA. Also, I know that that was the last one of that model in the shop.

Has anybody been in this situation before and can offer advice? I just want my money back so that I can go and buy another phone from somewhere else.

Thanks.
Layla,

Drop me a PM with your email and the details of the company you bought it from. I'll see if I can chase it up as a story on Sunday. Even just a phone call letting the store know that I'm chasing a story might be enough to spook them into doing what they should be doing.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Thanks.
FFS, talk about bureaucracy. I am surprised they dont ask you for a letter from your employer stamped by the Ministry of Labour together with your shoe size.

Try calling that number on the website and see what is their take on it.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 8:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
UAE Federal law no 24 was enacted in 2006 to protect consumers. In your case the store is legally obliged to repair, replace or refund.

I write the consumer advice column in The National newsaper so let me know if I can help. I can chase for you and name and shame if they don't comply with the law.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
UAE Federal law no 24 was enacted in 2006 to protect consumers. In your case the store is legally obliged to repair, replace or refund.

I write the consumer advice column in The National newsaper so let me know if I can help. I can chase for you and name and shame if they don't comply with the law.
Thanks Meow, I will - much appreciated
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

how you getting on with this out of interest?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for asking, Scamp. We had a call from the shop this morning telling us that we need to get a new SIM card before they can give us a new phone, as the old one was assigned to the phone that isn't working. So, ma'amsir, you need spend only 40 dirhams ma'msir, to purchase a new SIM card. My husband argued that he has had the old SIM card for 4 years and does not want to change his number. Their answer? It’s only 40 dirhams ma’amsir.

I mean, what the actual f***?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 10:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for asking, Scamp. We had a call from the shop this morning telling us that we need to get a new SIM card before they can give us a new phone, as the old one was assigned to the phone that isn't working. So, ma'amsir, you need spend only 40 dirhams ma'msir, to purchase a new SIM card. My husband argued that he has had the old SIM card for 4 years and does not want to change his number. Their answer? It’s only 40 dirhams ma’amsir.

They are talking nonsense.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 10:31 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Since when can a SIM card be 'assigned' to one phone and only THAT phone??

Agreed, bunch of f@#kwits...
Old Dec 6th 2011, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Honestly, I've just about had it with this place...
Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Honestly, I've just about had it with this place...
Just take the old one and pretend it's the new one?

Can't you just turn up and take the phone? What it's to do with the phone seller what sim you use?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
Just take the old one and pretend it's the new one?

Can't you just turn up and take the phone? What it's to do with the phone seller what sim you use?
They've got the old phone. They will not give us a new phone until they get a new SIM. Actually, even then I doubt we will get a new phone as I know for a fact that they have none in stock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.