Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Are there problems with shipping DVDs, CDs, Books etc. to Abu Dhabi?

Are there problems with shipping DVDs, CDs, Books etc. to Abu Dhabi?

Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:36 am
Just Joined

DutchNibbles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are there problems with shipping DVDs, CDs, Books etc. to Abu Dhabi?

Hi,

First time posting and any help would be appreciated.

I have read that it is very likely that boxes containing CDs, DVDs, Books, Games etc. will be inspected and items maybe confiscated (destroyed) or sent back to origin.

Does anyone have any experience of items being confiscated and what are the items I should be aware of? I have a large collection of the above; music is hip-hop/rap, latin, jazz, dance/house, rock etc. (a wide range) and the same for movies, action, drama, horror, sci-fi. Games are things like Batman: Arkham Asylum, GTA, Uncharted, Dead Space, Rock Band...

Are there any particular artists, albums, titles that are more likely to cause offence and be taken away and that I should simply remove and not ship?

As an added thought, are there any regulations or checks on Hard Drives and home computers, as many of the cds have been ripped to MP3?

Thank you for the help.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there problems with shipping DVDs, CDs, Books etc. to Abu Dhabi?

Might get some luck searching out past threads on the topic as I'm pretty sure it has come up a few times, one fairly recent, thought I think that was else where in the UAE.

Welcome to BE though
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there problems with shipping DVDs, CDs, Books etc. to Abu Dhabi?

never heard of any problems - daft things like books on wine, "marital aids" and items made in Israel being confiscated from luggage at the airport but not from shipments, they probably can't be arsed to check

just don't pack any "Frankie Vaughan" or candles ( they melt while they sit on the docks)
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I don't think anything in our container was checked when it came in last autumn - certainly there were no signs of anything being opened. I'd be amazed if they ever got as far as checking hard-drives etc. I've heard rumours of DVD boxes occasionally being rummaged, but I don't think I've ever heard of anything being confiscated.

Agree with comments about candles etc melting. Also the heat seems to discolour some light coloured plastic - radios, computer speakers & monitors, and a number of other white or cream-coloured plastic-encased electronic items all came out of the container with a nasty discolouration (though they still worked fine). Anything which won't stand 50+ degrees heat, while sitting in a metal box in the direct sun, shouldn't be shipped.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

They went through and opened every single box in our shipment, broke a load of CD cases and confiscated madame's toys...
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
They went through and opened every single box in our shipment, broke a load of CD cases and confiscated madame's toys...
They must have thought you were a particularly dodgy person...! I can't find anyone amongst my colleagues (I've just asked a few in the office who moved here after me) who had their container checked, at least as far as they could tell.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:06 am
Just Joined

DutchNibbles is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.

It seems then, that there is a low chance of them checking. I guess I can use my own caution if there are any items I am particularly concerned about and I would rather keep and not risk being taken away or damaged. My wife has a collection of vinyls with some rare examples and it would be bad if they removed or damaged any of these!

Great information about candles and light coloured plastics. I would have never thought about that.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:20 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I'd known about the candles... Bloody mess that was. if I'd packed up the house I'd have left them anyway, but the husband did it.

Funnily enough our leather sofas didn't handle the hot container very well and started cracking and peeling after their seven week ordeal in a giant metal box. Might be something to think about if you have an expensive one - mine were shipped in August/September and then left on the dock for a week while my company arsed about not paying the shipping company.

Our packers didn't take our indian god collection but that was it. Even a book called "The God Delusion" slipped through. Nothing appeared to have been opened.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:35 pm