British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   .....is there anything to buy that's re-sale in abu dhabi ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/there-anything-buy-thats-re-sale-abu-dhabi-551764/)

the big nowhere Jul 28th 2008 4:22 pm

.....is there anything to buy that's re-sale in abu dhabi ?

trekked through tons of sites and not really finding anything on properties for sale that are 'constructed'..........seriously considering an offer of 65,000 a year all in + flights,bonus etc.....but can't find anywhere to live....would look at apartments as well as villas............any help appreciated............cheers

niddy Jul 28th 2008 4:27 pm

Re: .....is there anything to buy that's re-sale in abu dhabi ?

You can buy resale at absurd prices now. But, nothing in Abu Dhabi has been fully constructed and ready to move in. Some developments are supposed to be ready by late 2009, but around here that probably means mid 2010. Most stuff in Abu Dhabi will be ready in 2011 and beyond.

Eva Jul 28th 2008 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by the big nowhere (Post 6619607)
trekked through tons of sites and not really finding anything on properties for sale that are 'constructed'..........seriously considering an offer of 65,000 a year all in + flights,bonus etc.....but can't find anywhere to live....would look at apartments as well as villas............any help appreciated............cheers

No. Nothing habitable till 2010.Guestimates on some projects i.e Al Reem, Sky Tower & Tala(I think...) handover September 2009 but....you will know about timelines already.Plenty of stuff on seconday market but still to complete.

I am assuming you are expat?

busybee2 Jul 28th 2008 4:32 pm

the ads say late 09 but it really means at least 2010, al reef is DONT delayed so believe 2009 for that one.

Eva Jul 28th 2008 4:35 pm

[QUOTE=the big nowhere;6619607]trekked through tons of sites and not really finding anything on properties for sale that are 'constructed'..........seriously considering an offer of 65,000 a year all in + flights,bonus etc.....but can't find anywhere to live....would look at apartments as well as villas............any help appreciated............cheers

Sorry, 65,000 what per annum?

busybee2 Jul 28th 2008 4:47 pm

i think it must be gbp a year.

niddy Jul 28th 2008 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 6619637)
the ads say late 09 but it really means at least 2010, al reef is DONT delayed so believe 2009 for that one.

What do people think about Hydra Village and Al Reef villas and townhouses btw?

busybee2 Jul 28th 2008 4:51 pm

have heard people say stay away from hyrda, and al reef is right at the end of the runway.

Eva Jul 28th 2008 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by niddy (Post 6619699)
What do people think about Hydra Village and Al Reef villas and townhouses btw?

I'd say you really need to know what you were getting.Not like at home where the plans are sumbitted and the development reproduced to the exact renderings.I hear many are unhappy with Hydra in that their vista and opwn space has been considerably altered in favour of more units...

The Mediterraen models of homes on Al Reef are nice looking units-again in the renderings. They will have to be well constructed due to proximity of airport. Cavaet Emptor.................

niddy Jul 28th 2008 4:59 pm

Yep, thats my sense as well. It is buyer beware, and to make matters worse buyers definitely don't have the same types of legal protections here.

the big nowhere Jul 28th 2008 5:04 pm

[QUOTE=Eva;6619645]

Originally Posted by the big nowhere (Post 6619607)

Sorry, 65,000 what per annum?

hi.........65,000 dirhams per month.....but bonus would only be 10-12% ish.......but of no use if nothing to buy...........does this mean most rent....if so where are the best area's to rent....we are family of 4......many thanks...

twinkle-star Jul 28th 2008 5:06 pm

Most people rent out here you come out here first and then find an apartment to rent while here you can then look around for somewhere to buy!
Lots of people do the hotel stay before they move into an apartment here as you need to grab the apartment as soon as you see it!

Eva Jul 28th 2008 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by niddy (Post 6619741)
Yep, thats my sense as well. It is buyer beware, and to make matters worse buyers definitely don't have the same types of legal protections here.

Puts me off greatly. No proper disposition, no Land Registration(although apparently that is changing). No sense of proper contract, warrandice,planning regs. Build quality is something I wonder about when you actually stand and watch on site progress.

That said I think there is still a very brief window for a quick flip...... the pain of it though in terms of admin doesn't interest me as I think the days of the big returns are over.

Eva Jul 28th 2008 5:41 pm

[QUOTE=the big nowhere;6619757]

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 6619645)
hi.........65,000 dirhams per month.....but bonus would only be 10-12% ish.......but of no use if nothing to buy...........does this mean most rent....if so where are the best area's to rent....we are family of 4......many thanks...

Currently its not so much about the best places to live as the availability-there is no such thing as luxury of choice in AD at the moment .

Forget your bonus in your calculations as that only usually translates into real money at end of Contract

Off the top of my head......you are looking at upwards of 250k + 5% Commission for suitable home.Remember the 250k will probably be subject to 5% rent increase at renewal.
If proximity of amenities & city life appeals -on island therefore you are talking apartments-still + 200k;for a really good one -4beds +facils and parking:could be over 300k.
If you don't mind lesser amenities and prefer more space...then Khalifa City A
Have you tried Al Ghanem Estate Agents? National company with many properties in KCA. Also try Burooj, First Gulf Bank(Green Emirate) and NBAD
You only need to be lucky once.

the big nowhere Jul 28th 2008 5:56 pm

[QUOTE=Eva;6619865]

Originally Posted by the big nowhere (Post 6619757)

Currently its not so much about the best places to live as the availability-there is no such thing as luxury of choice in AD at the moment .

Forget your bonus in your calculations as that only usually translates into real money at end of Contract

Off the top of my head......you are looking at upwards of 250k + 5% Commission for suitable home.Remember the 250k will probably be subject to 5% rent increase at renewal.
If proximity of amenities & city life appeals -on island therefore you are talking apartments-still + 200k;for a really good one -4beds +facils and parking:could be over 300k.
If you don't mind lesser amenities and prefer more space...then Khalifa City A
Have you tried Al Ghanem Estate Agents? National company with many properties in KCA. Also try Burooj, First Gulf Bank(Green Emirate) and NBAD
You only need to be lucky once.

hey thanks for that....will check out the sites....understand the bonus comments,but it's guaranteed and paid as a monthly amount....min 10% and maybe up to 12% so i thought not too bad.........but is it on the low side as have been offered a full time position and so maybe bonus' are higher on shorter term contract work ? many thanks.