IT Testing Jobs

Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:13 am
Just Joined

olithedrummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Testing Jobs

Hello

I'm new here and hope someone can help me. I am an experienced IT Project Test/Quality Assurance Test Manager with over 15 years experience in Financial Services and my Wife and I (shes a legal secretary) are looking at Dubai for a life change. However I have searched many agency websites and cannot find a single Testing role amongst them. Plenty of development/BA roles but no Test roles!

Does anyone have any idea why this is?

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

Thanks

Oli
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:33 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Testing Jobs

Originally Posted by olithedrummer
Hello

I'm new here and hope someone can help me. I am an experienced IT Project Test/Quality Assurance Test Manager with over 15 years experience in Financial Services and my Wife and I (shes a legal secretary) are looking at Dubai for a life change. However I have searched many agency websites and cannot find a single Testing role amongst them. Plenty of development/BA roles but no Test roles!

Does anyone have any idea why this is?

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

Thanks

Oli

Firstly, Welcome to the forum.

Unless you work in an EXTREMLY niche field you had little to no chance of getting IT work in Dubai...sorry

There is the odd Oracle and SAP role, apart from that, all your generic support,development,testing,project,ops,managerial type jobs are done by asians for the kind of money you would not get out of bed for.
(just trying to keep it real !....)

These Asians also come more highly qualified than most IT Directors in the uk, and work harder than most.
I personally have known people try for many years to find a job, and then refuse because the salary will not sustain them.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=jobs

I hope that you prove me wrong and secure something. If you want it bad enough something WILL turn up, but its all about perseverance with patience and a lot of luck.!!

Rgds
JD
Old Nov 11th 2005, 9:00 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Firstly, Welcome to the forum.

Unless you work in an EXTREMLY niche field you had little to no chance of getting IT work in Dubai...sorry

There is the odd Oracle and SAP role, apart from that, all your generic support,development,testing,project,ops,managerial type jobs are done by asians for the kind of money you would not get out of bed for.
(just trying to keep it real !....)

These Asians also come more highly qualified than most IT Directors in the uk, and work harder than most.
I personally have known people try for many years to find a job, and then refuse because the salary will not sustain them.

I hope that you prove me wrong and secure something. If you want it bad enough something WILL turn up, but its all about perseverance with patience and a lot of luck.!!

Rgds
JD

I don't think there is anything wrong with starting with a low salary and working your way up...

There's always a starting point
Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:18 am
Just Joined

I have been out to Dubai on 4 occassions in the past and met a lot of great people who offered me all sorts of advice, some positive and some negative but the key thing seemed to be about Networking. If you can make contact with a senior person at an organisation they can help you find a role.

I have no issue with starting low and working my way up. I am certainly good enough to do my role (I've been contracting in the UK for 6 years with some of the biggest Blue Chip organisations) and you don't stay in contracting at this level without proving you can do the job. Sorry if that sounds bug headed - was not intended to. The point is I am a hard working, driven person who would like the chance to work in Dubai!

I will keep doing what I am doing and hopefully someone will show some interest. Thanks for your advice everyone, please keep it coming.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 5:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I have been out to Dubai on 4 occassions in the past and met a lot of great people who offered me all sorts of advice, some positive and some negative but the key thing seemed to be about Networking. If you can make contact with a senior person at an organisation they can help you find a role.
welcome to the forum....and check out the links in the FAQ's...there's plenty of agencies to try out, at least give leads to what's what in the area...
Old Nov 12th 2005, 5:47 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

one thing in your favour is that there is a huge shortage of good legal secretarys in town so if your wife gets in touch with the big boys like allen and overy, clyde and co. etc she would probably get a job in a matter of weeks if not days
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone for all you responses, really appreciate your help and guidance.

If my wife were to secure a role would I be able to come out with her and then look for work? I have read differing views on this subject. In the meantime if anyone working for an IT company is reading this - please get in touch!!

Thanks

Oli
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Thanks to everyone for all you responses, really appreciate your help and guidance.

If my wife were to secure a role would I be able to come out with her and then look for work? I have read differing views on this subject. In the meantime if anyone working for an IT company is reading this - please get in touch!!

Thanks

Oli
Of course you can come,but on a visit visa,while she enters on an employment/resident visa sponsored by her employer.You can have 60 to 90 days to set yourself up.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Many thanks Shoushou. Will see what we can do.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Many thanks Shoushou. Will see what we can do.
Dont mention it Oli...Hope to see you soon in sunny country...
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:00 am
Just Joined

We are both working hard to secure something so hopefully with all the great advice we have got from here we will soon be out in Dubai, but like I say if anyone has any specific contacts etc then please let me know - better to have too much info than not enough!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are both working hard to secure something so hopefully with all the great advice we have got from here we will soon be out in Dubai, but like I say if anyone has any specific contacts etc then please let me know - better to have too much info than not enough!
Unfortunately,I have nothing to do with IT.Maybe some of the others can help in this regard.But it is very tough,especially with the Subcontinent contingent who will be more than happy to do the job for much less than what the job deseves as a salary.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Sometimes I could kick myself for not taking the offers I had 4/5 years ago!! However I would not have met my beautiful wife if I had done so!! It seems that Dubai has a new approach to employment, a few years ago you could meet someone at a dinner party, who knew someone who may be looking and within a day or two you were talking roles and prospects. Maybe I need to come out and do some hard networking!

I believe my management skills could easily transfer industries.....maybe thats the way to go! I know what you mean about IT and the sub-continent....it is getting that way in the UK also.

Really appreciate your time and comments.

Oli