Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Terror threats in UAE

Terror threats in UAE

Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Terror threats in UAE

Everything is a potential threat in this country... so I think the keep an eye on everything and everyone...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/...ex.html?hpt=T2
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I always thoought DH stood for my dick of a husband- no?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I always thoought DH stood for my dick of a husband- no?
I think you're confusing form over function.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:09 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
As a salutary point regarding risk and our (human-kind's) inability to measure it properly:
After the London tube bombings, a lot of people started to drive to work rather than take the tube. As a result, significantly more additional people died from car accidents in the year after the bombing than died in the actual bombing. In other words, the chances of dying from a terrorist assault on the tube are waaay smaller than the chances of dying in a car accident. People just have difficulty processing risks properly.

One of the biggest causes of injury in oil companies (with which I have a certain familiarity) is not exploding oil rigs, but car accidents (and having things dropped on you, sadly).
Given that the UK has over 60 million people it's probably not statistically significant that there were more fatalities on the road in the year following the train and bus attacks where something like 30 people died.

More people died in a single month on the UAE roads than died in the train and bus attacks on London....

N.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:48 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in the West End of London in the early 90's during the IRA bombing blitz they had.....

I worked in Saudi from 2001 - 2006, starting there a month before 9/11...

Here is a piece of piss, quite frankly..

PS. Ronnie, my Mrs won't watch The Kingdom. Ever since I said it was a pretty good portayal of life in Saudi at that time...
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Given that the UK has over 60 million people it's probably not statistically significant that there were more fatalities on the road in the year following the train and bus attacks where something like 30 people died.

More people died in a single month on the UAE roads than died in the train and bus attacks on London....

N.
I know what you mean, but I believe I read that the increase was statistically significant and specifically related to London (with a lower population).

[start pseudo-statistic wafflery]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2778797/ suggests that the avoidance of public transport was clinically significant. Not sure if this in turn implies that the increase in car accidents related to avoidance of public transport would also be significant.

[/end pseudo-statistic wafflery]
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

but weren't there more accidents on the roads with cyclists straight after the tube bombings as everyone jumped on their bikes rather than use public transport- I know this as I was driving in London at the time and had near misses with psycho cyclists pretty much on a daily basis!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:20 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

but weren't there more accidents on the roads with cyclists straight after the tube bombings as everyone jumped on their bikes rather than use public transport- I know this as I was driving in London at the time and had near misses with psycho cyclists pretty much on a daily basis!
Is there another kind???

(Cue Commander!!!)
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:52 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
I know what you mean, but I believe I read that the increase was statistically significant and specifically related to London (with a lower population).

[start pseudo-statistic wafflery]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2778797/ suggests that the avoidance of public transport was clinically significant. Not sure if this in turn implies that the increase in car accidents related to avoidance of public transport would also be significant.

[/end pseudo-statistic wafflery]
Indeed...Greater London's population interestingly is about the same size as the entire UAE. Am sure the accident rates in London don't even get close to what they are in Dubai alone....

N.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

made in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nice

Certainly an interesting question, although I have to say having moved here only 8 weeks ago (so limited exp so far) I generally feel safer here than at home. I have no fear of being set upon as I walk home from the local and having my head caved in by a gang of mindless idiots. Nor do I fear a trip to the shops where I am continuously harassed by the same mindless idiots or homeless smack heads (I have no problem with the homeless who genuinely need help, and i think more should be done to help them)

As far as the terror situation I figure we are at risk where ever we are these days, just a little common sense can minimise that risk.

I do originate from Salford so you can understand the mindless idiot situation 99% of people from salford are the salt of the earth shame about the other 1%
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made in manchester
Certainly an interesting question, although I have to say having moved here only 8 weeks ago (so limited exp so far) I generally feel safer here than at home. I have no fear of being set upon as I walk home from the local and having my head caved in by a gang of mindless idiots. Nor do I fear a trip to the shops where I am continuously harassed by the same mindless idiots or homeless smack heads (I have no problem with the homeless who genuinely need help, and i think more should be done to help them)

As far as the terror situation I figure we are at risk where ever we are these days, just a little common sense can minimise that risk.

I do originate from Salford so you can understand the mindless idiot situation 99% of people from salford are the salt of the earth shame about the other 1%
That's not even relative , you're now living in a socially engineered society which has zero relation from the culture that you have just come from.

Don't think it's crime free in this part of the world , you've got it all here , you just got lucky because your ethnically higher up the ladder...!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:13 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Is there another kind???

(Cue Commander!!!)
Cycling is not for everyone, granted. saying that in 2 years it has dropped me 4 inches around the waist and over 15KG's.

Still, ill not get upset at Kitty's continual attempt at belittling cyclists.Im sure its something she aspires to deep down.

Last edited by commander; Jul 29th 2010 at 12:46 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

honestly I'm not belittling cyclists, I like cycling -a nice shopper cycling througha park on a summers day is lovely, although am not very steady or confident on ones that aren't fixed to the gym floor. May have something to do with nearly getting hit by a bus as a kid when it overtook me with only a teeny gap- scared the crap out of me! I used to love bmxing though, although didn't have any special tricks other than bunny hops.

My problems are based on my experiences,

1) cyclists in london cut you up and kick your car and generally ride like lunatics who have a blatant disregard for the rules of the road. (whether you are driving or a pedestrian- cyclists verge on being a menace)
2) I am sure cyclists in London have several near misses on pretty much a daily basis so am sure its not that safe
3)cyclist couriers are plainly mad
4)bums in lycra are distracting

So see I don't hate cyclists you just take me all wrong!

Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:38 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

honestly I'm not belittling cyclists, I like cycling -a nice shopper cycling througha park on a summers day is lovely, although am not very steady or confident on ones that aren't fixed to the gym floor. May have something to do with nearly getting hit by a bus as a kid when it overtook me with only a teeny gap- scared the crap out of me! I used to love bmxing though, although didn't have any special tricks other than bunny hops.

My problems are based on my experiences,

1) cyclists in london cut you up and kick your car and generally ride like lunatics who have a blatant disregard for the rules of the road. (whether you are driving or a pedestrian- cyclists verge on being a menace)
2) I am sure cyclists in London have several near misses on pretty much a daily basis so am sure its not that safe
3)cyclist couriers are plainly mad
4)bums in lycra are distracting

So see I don't hate cyclists you just take me all wrong!

aww bless, well i am not a commuter cyclist and i wouldnt live in London if you paid me.

I ride in big groups in the country (or desert here). Why dont you get some designer spandex looked out and we'll take you for a group ride

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.