Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Terror threats in UAE

Terror threats in UAE

Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Terror threats in UAE

Hi all,

I was just reading 7days this morning. They have an article on the terror threats to the UAE how we are in a high risk area. I am pretty used to living in slightly dodgy areas, coming from an army town there were several bomb attacks during the IRA terror campaign, regular bomb alerts at school etc and then having lived in London during the tube bombs etc. I am of the thinking that when your time is up your time is up so theres little point trying to avoid these things when you could well get hit by a bus tomorrow. However putting yourself in harms way isnt a great idea either.

So I was wondering how everyone else feels, would you be concerned enough to leave and return somewhere safer? Or would you stay here no matter what?

I imagine London is also on the high risk areas so you can't win no matter where you go. Do you think the Uk have better policing for this type of thing and are you just not bothered at all by it?

Kittycat
xxx

Last edited by kittycat1; Jul 26th 2010 at 4:08 am.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror threats in UAE

The UAE has been classed as a high risk area for many years.

This place has so many plain clothes police and security you would likely be quite surprised.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:38 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

As high profile as Dubai is, there are very very few groups who would benefit from an attack on it, shall we say...
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:52 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

The terror threat here is nothing compared to Riyadh and Jeddah in the late-90's. As a precaution, however, I always keep away from British/USA Embassy functions, including those of the British Business Group as it's just putting yourself in harm's way.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

As a salutary point regarding risk and our (human-kind's) inability to measure it properly:
After the London tube bombings, a lot of people started to drive to work rather than take the tube. As a result, significantly more additional people died from car accidents in the year after the bombing than died in the actual bombing. In other words, the chances of dying from a terrorist assault on the tube are waaay smaller than the chances of dying in a car accident. People just have difficulty processing risks properly.

One of the biggest causes of injury in oil companies (with which I have a certain familiarity) is not exploding oil rigs, but car accidents (and having things dropped on you, sadly).
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:00 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
One of the biggest causes of injury in oil companies (with which I have a certain familiarity) is not exploding oil rigs, but car accidents (and having things dropped on you, sadly).
Indeed, I have heard that for one oil services company, failure to wear a seatbelt means instant dismissal.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
The terror threat here is nothing compared to Riyadh and Jeddah in the late-90's. As a precaution, however, I always keep away from British/USA Embassy functions, including those of the British Business Group as it's just putting yourself in harm's way.
What do you make of the threat in Saudi these days? I'm working in Al Khobar (doing the border crossing from Bahrain) and made the mistake of watching "The Kingdom" last week.......
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
What do you make of the threat in Saudi these days? I'm working in Al Khobar (doing the border crossing from Bahrain) and made the mistake of watching "The Kingdom" last week.......
We don't go on any camping trips f.x. Our neighbors think, that's silly, but why risking anything. It's only three yrs. back, that a group of french guys was shot on such a trip.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by typical
Indeed, I have heard that for one oil services company, failure to wear a seatbelt means instant dismissal.
I know which company you're talking about and I can confirm that this is true!

They also get written up for walking up/down stairs whilst on a mobile
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:38 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

They are not allowed to walk & talk at the same time?
-
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
They are not allowed to walk & talk at the same time?
-
Men and multitasking.... just doesn't work

But on the other hand side, it is now scientifically proven, that men are more intelligent than women!
Where men have their brain, women have a hole.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:04 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dilmun
Men and multitasking.... just doesn't work

But on the other hand side, it is now scientifically proven, that men are more intelligent than women!
Where men have their brain, women have a hole.

Lug hole perhaps?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glynster
Lug hole perhaps?

Hahaha, and the monthly is now nosebleeding?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:34 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
As a salutary point regarding risk and our (human-kind's) inability to measure it properly:
After the London tube bombings, a lot of people started to drive to work rather than take the tube. As a result, significantly more additional people died from car accidents in the year after the bombing than died in the actual bombing. In other words, the chances of dying from a terrorist assault on the tube are waaay smaller than the chances of dying in a car accident. People just have difficulty processing risks properly.

It's about the fear more than the risk, I think. I have a completely irrational fear of flying, even though my logical brain keeps telling me it is the safest way to travel.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:04 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting question ...

When we moved out here to Dubai 5 yrs ago my DH (ok I know you all hate the abbreviation - what would you rather? Beloved Husband? No please don't answer that.) had worked in the City of London for around 35yrs so all through the "troubles" and we both lived in London during the late 70's, too. (We just missed out on being caught up in the bombing of the Ideal Home Show in, what was it, 1977?) The majority of his client base was in the USA so he travelled there on a very regular basis and when he told them that he was moving here most of them were horrified. They thought he was moving to a suburb of Baghdad!

Many of our family and friends had the same reservations but has that stopped them from coming to visit us (ie get a cheap holiday) ... no, I don't think so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.