Reload this Page >

Terminated in Qatar with Loan

Terminated in Qatar with Loan

Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Advice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Terminated in Qatar with Loan

Hi,

In need of some real advice, recently terminated by my employer due to office politics and have a considerable loan with them. Just so happens my ex-employer is a bank.

I have requested my account not to be frozen to which they agreed they wouldnt VERBALLY, so far so good as need rent to be paid.

Due to the termination they are insisting on full repayment of the loan or the threat of jail. There is no way I can make full payment and have offered close to half - basically whats already in my account.

They want full payment ASAP so they can cancel my work visa in essence, they have also verbally promised to provide a NOC but will only consider discussing further if I pay off the loan.

Can the bank behave in such a manner? Demand full payment now or jail? I have not defaulted on any payments, my account holds enough funds to keep ticking over for 4-6 months comfortably on agreed loan repayments.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terminated in Qatar with Loan

if the rules are the same all over gcc then when you change your circumstances ie your job etc you need to pay up the loan in full. can you not use gratituty etc to pay it off. i think you need to read the small print as i think its the same for all banks in this region.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Appreciate the response, 50+ views and only 1 response

Gratuity is not enough to pay it off.

I'm surprised they are not willing to agree to re-structuring in the slightest, pay up or else. Obviously acting unprofessional due to the office politics, just trying to confirm if this can be done?

Only need 3-4 months but they're not having it.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Advice
Hi,

In need of some real advice, recently terminated by my employer due to office politics and have a considerable loan with them. Just so happens my ex-employer is a bank.

I have requested my account not to be frozen to which they agreed they wouldnt VERBALLY, so far so good as need rent to be paid.

Due to the termination they are insisting on full repayment of the loan or the threat of jail. There is no way I can make full payment and have offered close to half - basically whats already in my account.

They want full payment ASAP so they can cancel my work visa in essence, they have also verbally promised to provide a NOC but will only consider discussing further if I pay off the loan.

Can the bank behave in such a manner? Demand full payment now or jail? I have not defaulted on any payments, my account holds enough funds to keep ticking over for 4-6 months comfortably on agreed loan repayments.
If you have a multi exit permit then book a flight and leave , if you haven't then you will have to try and negotiate .

They will have to submit the case to the police first and then await response , they can't impose any restriction on you whatsoever and they're trying it on . It will be difficult if your relationship with the ex employer has broken down , they'll just see it as another control mechanism that they can use against you .

Unfortunately for you it looks like they hold all the cards , they could sit there and make you go skint then file for a case . You need a NOC or an exit permit .

Good Luck
Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:12 am
Just Joined

No multi-exit alas but to be honest I want to pay my debt because if I need to come back in the future then at least I haven't closed this door. In addition, Interpol seem to be their lackeys for chasing up debts globally.

That's what I'm trying to ascertain, if they call the police based on what grounds?

I am paying my debt, I haven't defaulted and wont because I have sufficient funds. Its the demand of 80% instant payment I cant cope with. If they grant me 3-4 months, it will be paid in full but then they cant cancel my work permit and that's what its all about right now. Pay up and get out.

This is what I'm struggling to identify no1 I've spoken to can confirm, can they call in the police and have me imprisoned? Everyone says, they always get their way regardless of whats right and wrong has me concerned.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:08 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Get family to clear your loan and leave asap.
You can't work without an NOC, so staying longer doesn't help and just gets you further into debt.
If you tell them you can't pay, they can and will call the police as you have defaulted on a loan.
This is exactly why I have always recommended multi exit permits - imho there is no shame in doing a runner in situations like these.
Why do you need 3-4 months?
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:11 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Get family to clear your loan and leave asap.
You can't work without an NOC, so staying longer doesn't help and just gets you further into debt.
If you tell them you can't pay, they can and will call the police as you have defaulted on a loan.
This is exactly why I have always recommended multi exit permits - imho there is no shame in doing a runner in situations like these.
Why do you need 3-4 months?
Old Dec 30th 2014, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

That's just it I can pay according to the signed and agreed term conditions.

But they are insisting on 80% NOW and that's the problem. Can they actually do this?

3-4 months is needed cos family are helping but can only do in monthly contributions. NOC has been offered but verbally but not really giving me the time to search.

Multi exit isn't always a given and if unemployed you're not going to refuse a post based on this.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

No multi-exit alas but to be honest I want to pay my debt because if I need to come back in the future then at least I haven't closed this door. In addition, Interpol seem to be their lackeys for chasing up debts globally.

That's what I'm trying to ascertain, if they call the police based on what grounds?

I am paying my debt, I haven't defaulted and wont because I have sufficient funds. Its the demand of 80% instant payment I cant cope with. If they grant me 3-4 months, it will be paid in full but then they cant cancel my work permit and that's what its all about right now. Pay up and get out.

This is what I'm struggling to identify no1 I've spoken to can confirm, can they call in the police and have me imprisoned? Everyone says, they always get their way regardless of whats right and wrong has me concerned.
unfortunately those are the rules... if you have a loan you need to pay it off before they give you clearance.... you need to go in person and try and talk to the right person and do a deal... or pay it off. they can call the police etc
Old Dec 30th 2014, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

but you are not paying your debt if they ask for it back and you dont have the money.. unfortunately they have gotten much tighter since all the jumpers in dxb etc.. so there really isnt much you can do.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

That's just it I can pay according to the signed and agreed term conditions.

But they are insisting on 80% NOW and that's the problem. Can they actually do this?

3-4 months is needed cos family are helping but can only do in monthly contributions. NOC has been offered but verbally but not really giving me the time to search.

Multi exit isn't always a given and if unemployed you're not going to refuse a post based on this.
Borrow the money from home , pay it and get out of Dodge mate . Never ever put your liberty at stake in a shit hole like Doha . It's doubtful they'll give you a NOC in any case .

Yes they can file a police case at anytime and then shit gets complicated . Your first and only pointer is getting out of this country. The people you're dealing with will be taking pleasure from controling you and shafting you.

Get the cash pay it off and don't return.

Also , don't believe that crap about Interpol chasing expats over unsecured bank loans in the Gulf , it's pure shite man . These guys have zero powers once you're back on home soil . Just bullshit scaremongering .

Last edited by co durham boy; Dec 31st 2014 at 6:40 am.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 7:03 am
womble

They can ask for 100% repayment if they want.

Re argument about being unemployed and taking any job with any visa: I stll say refuse a job without multi exits. I've had friends unable to attend their child's birth, their mother's funeral, their child's funeral (particularly awful) because they have not been able to sort out the exit visa in time.

And people like yourself who cannot pay the loan off after being made redundant and spending 6 months in jail, during Ramadan, over the summer, whilst asthmatic, and only getting out once the family back home scrape together the cash to pay off the loans, the court fees, the legal fees, the medical bills, the interest that has all accrued; return to hate UK lives in tatters and financially worse off.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Appreciate the time and effort in responding guys and not just doing a drive by. Surprised how many people viewed and responded in comparison. You always know someone that knows someone that will know someone or something that can help.

Of course no one can fathom the trouble and problems you are facing unless they experience it themselves. Just another person/statistic in Qatar/Middle East that got messed about. Read it and move on not thinking twice abt it until one day the same will happen to you.

Working on securing the amount as we speak.

I guess it doesn't matter if its allowed or legal to act in this fashion in Qatar/Middle East.

They really are heartless people at essence. I've spent enough time here in the Middle East to acknowledge and accept that. Just wondering what ever happened to the teachings of Islam. Zero compassion and tolerance out here...
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Appreciate the time and effort in responding guys and not just doing a drive by. Surprised how many people viewed and responded in comparison. You always know someone that knows someone that will know someone or something that can help.

Of course no one can fathom the trouble and problems you are facing unless they experience it themselves. Just another person/statistic in Qatar/Middle East that got messed about. Read it and move on not thinking twice abt it until one day the same will happen to you.

Working on securing the amount as we speak.

I guess it doesn't matter if its allowed or legal to act in this fashion in Qatar/Middle East.

They really are heartless people at essence. I've spent enough time here in the Middle East to acknowledge and accept that. Just wondering what ever happened to the teachings of Islam. Zero compassion and tolerance out here...
Mate , the whole region is a charade to be honest , there's not much compassion in The Gulf and less in Qatar . The only thing that matters to these people is control , power and money , just like the rest of the world but served in a more brutal manner.

Morals and legality are not represented too much in the Doha business forum and people are always queuing up to take a chunk out of you if the proverbial hits the fan . You're always in the shit of some kind in this part of the world and it just depends on the depth .

Get your cash and get out mate , there's better places to earn a few quid and just put it down to experience .

Best of luck !
Old Dec 31st 2014, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

You know, looking at views and responses to this thread..I believe not everybody who saw it responded because they saw somebody else had already said what could be done. There really is not that much choice to be honest.
I saw it and read the responses. I could not have given further advise.
Well...maybe one thing...DO NOT TAKE LOANS you can't pay off out here.
That's about it.
wishing you the best. xoxo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.