British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   tenancy contracts (again) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/tenancy-contracts-again-618532/)

sg800 Jul 6th 2009 5:51 am

tenancy contracts (again)

HI all

Has anyone had experience of this;

(source: http://www.bhomes.com/UAE/dubai-law.xhtml

Other highlights: In the event of premature termination by tenant, the tenant can claim for remainder rent amount by mutual agreement between landlord and tenant OR the rent committee can grant some amount of compensation to landlord and refund the remainder amount to tenant.

?

Just wondering as I am unsure if I will be about until the end of my tenancy and wanted to see where I stood....

Thanks a lot :thumbup:

Blue Cat Jul 6th 2009 6:39 am

Re: tenancy contracts (again)

how long you got remaining on your lease? and what does your contract say about terminating?

sg800 Jul 6th 2009 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7727016)
how long you got remaining on your lease? and what does your contract say about terminating?

Hi Blue Cat

We have 6 months left on the lease. The contract is an older one from before new regs apparently, so it says if we leave we have to pay until someone else is found. Which doesnt really help us, particularly as the value of our apartment has come down by 100k since we took out the lease.

I emailed better homes;

"xxxx, I am hoping you can offer some advice on the legalities of breaking the tenancy early. I have heard from numerous sources that for a penalty of 2 months rent it is possible for a tenant to leave the property/tenancy and have the remainder of the rent refunded to them. Can you confirm whether this is in fact the case? Its seems it may well be, or in fact having read on your website it appears there is now no penalty for breaking a tenancy early;

"Other highlights: In the event of premature termination by tenant, the tenant can claim for remainder rent amount by mutual agreement between landlord and tenant OR the rent committee can grant some amount of compensation to landlord and refund the remainder amount to tenant."

Can you please let me know where we stand on this from your point of view before I go to RERA seeking advice?

The reason this has come up is due to a change in personal circumstances since agreeing the tenancy in January. Having been made redundant in March and having accepted a job with a much lower salary, it is actually very difficult for me to continue to pay back the loan I took from my prior company. 1 option I have is actually leave Dubai (hence wondering about the refund), the other option is to move into a more competitively priced accomodation given the huge decrease in rental values since our tenancy started in January"

Bhomes said that there have been some cases of people with pay decreases going to rera, showing them the documentation (redundancy notice, new employment contract etc) and RERA saying the landlord has to lower the rent....

I want to stay in the apartment but for less money than we have already paid. Big ask I know, but Bhomes said to email the landlord something similar to the above to see if he will negotiate something with us.....

Any advice most welcome :fingerscrossed:

rowell Jul 6th 2009 9:19 am

Originally Posted by sg800 (Post 7727049)
Hi Blue Cat

We have 6 months left on the lease. The contract is an older one from before new regs apparently, so it says if we leave we have to pay until someone else is found. Which doesnt really help us, particularly as the value of our apartment has come down by 100k since we took out the lease.

I emailed better homes;

"xxxx, I am hoping you can offer some advice on the legalities of breaking the tenancy early. I have heard from numerous sources that for a penalty of 2 months rent it is possible for a tenant to leave the property/tenancy and have the remainder of the rent refunded to them. Can you confirm whether this is in fact the case? Its seems it may well be, or in fact having read on your website it appears there is now no penalty for breaking a tenancy early;

"Other highlights: In the event of premature termination by tenant, the tenant can claim for remainder rent amount by mutual agreement between landlord and tenant OR the rent committee can grant some amount of compensation to landlord and refund the remainder amount to tenant."

Can you please let me know where we stand on this from your point of view before I go to RERA seeking advice?

The reason this has come up is due to a change in personal circumstances since agreeing the tenancy in January. Having been made redundant in March and having accepted a job with a much lower salary, it is actually very difficult for me to continue to pay back the loan I took from my prior company. 1 option I have is actually leave Dubai (hence wondering about the refund), the other option is to move into a more competitively priced accomodation given the huge decrease in rental values since our tenancy started in January"

Bhomes said that there have been some cases of people with pay decreases going to rera, showing them the documentation (redundancy notice, new employment contract etc) and RERA saying the landlord has to lower the rent....

I want to stay in the apartment but for less money than we have already paid. Big ask I know, but Bhomes said to email the landlord something similar to the above to see if he will negotiate something with us.....

Any advice most welcome :fingerscrossed:

I am on JBR in Amwaj and DP who are the management are accepting 1 month with proof of redundancy and plane ticket home, however if just changing in order to get better rent deals they want 3 months monies penalties plus 2 months notice.

sg800 Jul 6th 2009 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 7727330)
I am on JBR in Amwaj and DP who are the management are accepting 1 month with proof of redundancy and plane ticket home, however if just changing in order to get better rent deals they want 3 months monies penalties plus 2 months notice.

Thanks a lot for your advice, cheers :thumbup:

Blue Cat Jul 6th 2009 12:43 pm

does your landlord have other properties? have you tried contacting him yourself?

sg800 Jul 6th 2009 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7728001)
does your landlord have other properties? have you tried contacting him yourself?

I am not sure, I know when he let the place to us he was looking to rent somewhere else with his wife and daughter....

Ref contacting him - waiting for better homes to send me his email address so I can drop him a note and see what he says...

Have you come across this before Blue Cat?

Blue Cat Jul 6th 2009 1:01 pm

yes the same happened to us. We were paid up until the end of June - we got an agreement from the LL that they would cancel our contract, we then moved out the beginning of June. We then got an e mail to say that they wouldn't return the cheque dated 1st of July as they had re rented the property. They presented the cheque last week which bounced and we haven't heard from them since. They did after alot of arguing agree to get the cheque back to us. There is a thread about it in the sandpit.

Blue Cat Jul 6th 2009 1:02 pm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=jail

sg800 Jul 6th 2009 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7728046)

Thanks Blue Cat :thumbup: