British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Tenancy agreement in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/tenancy-agreement-dubai-872291/)

Poppytt Feb 11th 2016 8:01 pm

Tenancy agreement in Dubai

Hi
Can anyone assist with letting me know what legislation exists around someone living in a property in Dubai without a tenancy agreement and not paying rent?
Thanks

mikewot Feb 12th 2016 3:17 am

Re: Tenancy agreement in Dubai

You must have a tenancy contract. It is the law. See the sticky about the laws of renting in Dubai.

mikewot Feb 12th 2016 4:25 am

https://www.dubailand.gov.ae/English...legislation#/0

See law number 26 of 2007 Article 4. If you are squatting there is no legislation.

Poppytt Feb 12th 2016 6:42 pm

Thank you for your reply. Someone is squatting in our property and we need to work out how to get them removed ASAP!

scot47 Feb 12th 2016 6:53 pm

Get the cops ?

co durham boy Feb 13th 2016 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Poppytt (Post 11865815)
Thank you for your reply. Someone is squatting in our property and we need to work out how to get them removed ASAP!

I know someone who'll remove them quite quickly and robustly for a few bob.

norsk Feb 13th 2016 4:09 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11865823)
Get the cops ?

+1

However, you need to make sure you are in the clear first. If they ever had a lease and you as the landlord 'forgot' to terminate/renew the law states that the lease renews automatically on the same terms. If this is the case then the question becomes whether they have paid or even attempted to pay. If the answer is yes they are not squatters according to the law..

mikewot Feb 13th 2016 4:29 am

Norsk is correct and I suspect this is the case. These people were tenants but somehow the tenancy agreement was not formally renewed. However it does roll over according to the law.
What I think we have here is Poppytt is the aggrieved LL who does not know the law. Next step would be to go to RERA and check if the tenants have deposited the rent cheque with them. If not then you raise a case, under the law, to evict them for non payment. It is all clearly written down in the law on renting. If your case for eviction is successful then the police can evict. Otherwise you may not interfere with their continued occupation of the property, you are not allowed to switch off DEWA etc.

If I have got this wrong and these people were never tenants but somehow gained access to your property while you were away then the police will take action.

mission Feb 14th 2016 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11866121)
Norsk is correct and I suspect this is the case. These people were tenants but somehow the tenancy agreement was not formally renewed. However it does roll over according to the law.
What I think we have here is Poppytt is the aggrieved LL who does not know the law. Next step would be to go to RERA and check if the tenants have deposited the rent cheque with them. If not then you raise a case, under the law, to evict them for non payment. It is all clearly written down in the law on renting. If your case for eviction is successful then the police can evict. Otherwise you may not interfere with their continued occupation of the property, you are not allowed to switch off DEWA etc.

If I have got this wrong and these people were never tenants but somehow gained access to your property while you were away then the police will take action.

RERA will only be able to confirm if the 'tenants' have actually registered their Ejari - otherwise, as far as i know, RERA won't touch you with a barge pole.

Poppytt Feb 14th 2016 4:48 pm

Ok thanks.... What a mess ;(

mikewot Feb 15th 2016 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Poppytt (Post 11867481)
Ok thanks.... What a mess ;(

In what way a mess? We still do not know if you are/were a LL.