Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Temp accommodation and do I require my emirate ID before I can rent a property

Temp accommodation and do I require my emirate ID before I can rent a property

Old Nov 22nd 2016, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Friz38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temp accommodation and do I require my emirate ID before I can rent a property

Hi all

I have looked through the posts and haven't found the answer to my question so I apologise if this is a repeated question.

I'm moving out to Dubai with my wife plus the dog. The job and visa is all sorted.

I have been looking at accommodation and we like the look of the 2 bed apts at JVC, is this a good area?( I'm working in business bay). I'm getting mixed advice on what I will require to rent in the UAE, so can I rent while my emirate ID card is being processed ? If not can you advise on any dog friendly short term accommodation please?

Also how long can I drive on my uk or Saudi driving licence?

Lastly my wife is coming out at the same time as me. The company have said it's ok for her to come and get a 30 day tourist visa on arrival and if my residence card process takes longer than 30 days they will extend her 30 day visa to 90. Is this normal, legal and ok?

When I worked in KSA I couldn't get a phone until my Iqama had been processed, is this the same in UAE?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temp accommodation and do I require my emirate ID before I can rent a property

hi there
There is no legal requirement of documents to rent, however, landlords and agencies usually request a copy of your passport, along with visa page and a copy of your Emirates ID. I am sure if you explain that you are waiting for your Emirates ID, it should be ok.
From JVC to Business Bay is going to be a nightmare traffic wise, you sure you want live so far out from work?
Once you have your resident's visa you must get your UAE driving license, you cannot drive using your UK one
Re the visa run for your wife, I have no idea, hopefully someone else in the forum will be able to help you
you will need your Emirates ID in order to get a phone