British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   TEACHING QUALIFICATION REQUIRED?? BIG DECISION HELP NEEDED! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/teaching-qualification-required-big-decision-help-needed-542639/)

hinasal Jun 12th 2008 10:28 am

TEACHING QUALIFICATION REQUIRED?? BIG DECISION HELP NEEDED!

Hi,
We're moving to the middle east in the next year and I have three young children. I've got
- a degree in Business Management and
- a Masters degree in Systems Design (IT).

I want to become a teacher, as I hear there are very few corporate opportunities for ladies in the middle east,(am I right?) and this would also suit life around the kids.

My questions are:
Should I do the PGCE (does this hold value in the middle east or can I teach without it? If so, what age groups/subjects can I teach?)
- This would take me a year of full time education (and mean not being able to move the family till I'm done).

Should I do an English as a Second Language teaching course instead?
- This would only take me a few months. (and we could move as soon as things are sorted.)

Any advice would be appreciated, as I don't know whether the PGCE is worth the time and effort if I can get the same work as a teacher without it.

Thanks a mill in advance!:thumbsup:
xx
H

admon Jun 12th 2008 11:09 am

Re: TEACHING QUALIFICATION REQUIRED?? BIG DECISION HELP NEEDED!

Firstly, you have to do a teacher training course (PGCE or equivalent, depending on what you are to teach) to be a qualified teacher.

As with all 'International' schools, the UAE is no different in requiring these qualifications. Have a look at www.teach.gov.uk that will help you with options.

The teaching english qualification is a very very poor choice in comparison, restricting you to basically teaching that, usually on a part time basis, with rubbish wages - as that qualification is so easy to get.

However, you may be surprised with your career options with your present skills. In Dubai being a woman isn't a barrier to most jobs and the opportunities here in IT are massive.

As with everyone, I always say get yourself out here for a week or two, look around, explore options, get yourself in front of people.
Then you can make an informed decision.

By the way, I accept payment in most world currencies...

lionheart Jun 12th 2008 11:37 am

You only need to consider teaching as the sole option if you are moving to Saudi Arabia. Elsewhere and particularly in Dubai, there are plenty of job opportunities for women. Please don't go into teaching as a last resort, only if you are dedicated to helping children learn.

Salimsmum Jun 12th 2008 5:21 pm

One of my daughters has just been accepted for teacher training in Bristol, I doubt very much you'd get a place on any PGCE course this year so you'd be looking to apply through UCAS for a 2009 entry. In order to do the PGCE you have to have a 2.1 and places are very hard to get even if you have it.

Someone mentioned only becoming a teacher if you're dedicated to teaching and I couldn't agree more, it really isn't something you should go into because it suits domestic arrangements. :)

If you really do want to go ahead with it you might also want to consider the Open University, they are now doing a PGCE course and you'll need it to teach in the middle east unless you have the other qulaifications.

hth :)

madferrit Jun 12th 2008 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Salimsmum (Post 6460814)
In order to do the PGCE you have to have a 2.1 and places are very hard to get even if you have it.

Thats not true. I know two people who recently got 2.2 and ended up doing their PGCE. I guess it shows the UK govt's desperation to find teachers for the forthcoming generation.

Salimsmum Jun 13th 2008 2:09 am

I guess it does.

admon Jun 13th 2008 3:07 am

The whole 2.1 thing is irrelevent.

I know teachers with 3's.. Although obviously they don't like to admit it..

Salimsmum Jun 16th 2008 3:16 am

Take it from someone who's just been through this procedure with their daughter, the 2.1 is certainly not irrelevent, the quality universities still insist on it. No-one on the course my daughter is doing has anything less than a 2.1 and people who tried to apply with anything less didn't even get to interview.

Bijilo123 Jun 16th 2008 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Salimsmum (Post 6470407)
Take it from someone who's just been through this procedure with their daughter, the 2.1 is certainly not irrelevent, the quality universities still insist on it. No-one on the course my daughter is doing has anything less than a 2.1 and people who tried to apply with anything less didn't even get to interview.

So? Does it matter to the employer if the qualification came from Cambridge or Sierra Leonne if it is a real one?

Salimsmum Jun 16th 2008 3:36 pm

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean.

shakh your bootie Jun 16th 2008 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 6471120)
So? Does it matter to the employer if the qualification came from Cambridge or Sierra Leonne if it is a real one?

Yes, it matters a great deal.

For the OP - with your masters in IT you can get a job teaching in the tertiary sector, either as an adjunct or as a full-time faculty member.

You can also take a PGCE out here via distance learning from certain UK universities (can't remember which ones)....

Bijilo123 Jun 16th 2008 4:48 pm

Exactly my point - it is the underlying qualification and level of demand that counts - not the PGCE.

admon Jun 17th 2008 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Salimsmum (Post 6470407)

You have made the very point yourself demonstrating that the 2.1 is completely irrelevent UNLESS, you want to go to a 'quality university' as you say..

Also certain areas of teaching are woefully in dire need of teachers, so they will take any old degree to fill those spaces...

Some of the teachers at the best schools got 2.2's or 3's. It's not a barrier.
But no, you are unlikely to go to Oxbridge...

hinasal Jun 17th 2008 1:01 pm

Thank you all so much for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

Just to clarify - I should have done this in the first posting really....so sorry about that...!

I've applied for a PGCE for the third year....(first year I had to cancel my application as we needed the extra cash and I was the main earner, and the second year I was due to deliver our third in October so had to cancel my application again as the course starts in September). This really is something I want to do, I put up some basic reasons as most people don't understand why I'd want to go into a lower paying career than what I am currently in, and its truly because I love it. My mother had a school and I have grown up watching and helping her teach Montessori children. I love teaching my kids and have volunteered in schools and it's always something i've wanted to do, so I'm finally doing it! It's just a bonus that timings (i think) will be more family friendly, but I've got no problem working 9-5 as I've done all these years. :)

Next, I've been accepted to do my PGCE from London University, the Institute of Education. (My Masters is also from London University, London School of Economics). I got into Cambridge as well but had to defer as I couldn't commute this year till the baby is at least 2 years (sept 2009).

The reason I'd rather do it now (Sept 2008) is because I dont want the family to be separated from my husband for too long, if he is going out to the middle east for his job.

I now feel more sure about doing this course, although it's great to know that career options are also open should I want to ever go back to IT consulting after teaching. It provides an extra comfort zone to know that, incase we ever hit a financial crisis. (I'm assuming teaching pays less than IT consulting..?)

Thank you all so much,
perhaps I should stick to consulting if I'm to clear my debt to admon.....:D

xx
hina