Reload this Page >

Teaching Jobs in Muscat?

Teaching Jobs in Muscat?

Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:23 am
Just Joined

uk_teacher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching Jobs in Muscat?

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and intend to move to Muscat - joining my husband who has a very good offer there. I intend to move with my children (13 and 6) in July. Currently in the UK - a bit anxious about the big move....

I am a secondary science teacher and am clueless about the jobmarket in Muscat. Is it easy to get into a British school or its likes? I have registered my kids at the British School of Muscat but there is supposedly a waiting list there - so fingers crossed for that as well....

Any teacher here on the forum? or anyone who can be of help please.

Many Thanks
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

stuart6078 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching Jobs in Muscat?

Don't know of anyone but try TES forum, always a good source.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:03 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_teacher
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and intend to move to Muscat - joining my husband who has a very good offer there. I intend to move with my children (13 and 6) in July. Currently in the UK - a bit anxious about the big move....

I am a secondary science teacher and am clueless about the jobmarket in Muscat. Is it easy to get into a British school or its likes? I have registered my kids at the British School of Muscat but there is supposedly a waiting list there - so fingers crossed for that as well....

Any teacher here on the forum? or anyone who can be of help please.

Many Thanks
welcome to BE, you will love Muscat! good luck with your job search
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:10 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

You might find this forum interesting/helpful, too:

http://www.omanforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot Stuart - yes TES is one of my fav sites...so fingers crossed. Bluecat - thanks for the positive message...I'm sure the sunshine would keep everyone in a more cheerful mood there....and thanks for the link hnd..I did look it up and found it very useful..

So far I have only heard all good things about the British School but would like to know some frank opinions as well - if at all there are any areas I need to watch out for.. My kids would be going to primary and secondary school there - IF they get through the waiting list.

Nice to be on BE - esp when it comes to a country we have never been to before.
Cheers...
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

What happens if your kids don't get off the waiting list?

Thanks a lot Stuart - yes TES is one of my fav sites...so fingers crossed. Bluecat - thanks for the positive message...I'm sure the sunshine would keep everyone in a more cheerful mood there....and thanks for the link hnd..I did look it up and found it very useful..

So far I have only heard all good things about the British School but would like to know some frank opinions as well - if at all there are any areas I need to watch out for.. My kids would be going to primary and secondary school there - IF they get through the waiting list.

Nice to be on BE - esp when it comes to a country we have never been to before.
Cheers...
Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:12 am
Just Joined

This is definitely a possibility Ethos and I am in the process of sending applications to other international schools too. However, if the scenario is so bad, I might not move until they get off the waiting list since as of now they are quite happy in the schools here in the UK.. It's just that we might join my husband a little later. I have no idea about the local public schools there but am sure the transition would be difficult for them.
Do you happen to know anymore on this? any suggestions? It would be nice to know. Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2011, 1:35 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

BSM is an excellent school, well run and very popular. OFSTED put it as 'outstanding' . They are now striving got 'beyond outstanding'.

The Principal has created an excellent school, and has high expectations of his staff, but is leaving this year.

They have good sports there and a very comprehensive competitive swim programme.

It would be worth waiting until your kids get places as the alternatives don't really match up to it.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much Victor Meldrew!! (one of the things we shall miss about England!).

As for the school, yes I did go through the ofsted reports and the school year book - all very satisfying and interesting. This is what our thoughts are as well - to make a move once the admissions have been taken care of. Also, I hear it is located in one of the good areas of Muscat, which makes the decision even easier for us.

I believe for further education, students normally prefer to come back to the UK (?)

Thanks again..once this is sorted, my next goal is to sort out a teaching career for myself too..
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:08 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't done already, send your CV into the school and tell them you would be available for supply. This may also help your situation regards child places.

I know BSM have just been advertising their jobs for next year, so again a speculative application may not go amiss.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:03 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
If you haven't done already, send your CV into the school and tell them you would be available for supply. This may also help your situation regards child places.

I know BSM have just been advertising their jobs for next year, so again a speculative application may not go amiss.
BSM is excellent, particularly for Primary. Secondary has a mixed reputation. There have been concerns about bullying (some quite rough kids have gone there in the past, but from what I've heard, the rougher crowd now go to Royal Flight School). Some kids who are less academically oriented prefer going to the ABA. Some kids prefer going back to the UK for boarding, especially teenagers, because Muscat is really sleepy dull for teenagers (but a parents dream in that respect - lol).

It's good you have your kids on the waiting list now. I'd also put them on the ABA waiting list just in case. I wouldnt bother with TASIM or any of the other schools. They're ok, but they're not British if you are certain you want to stay in that system. ABA isnt fully British either though. But it is an excellent school as well.

To disagree with Victor slightly, the senior mgmt of BSM is dysfunctional and I know many teachers who have resigned after a year or so. I personally think it is good that a new head teacher is arriving, because whilst the dysfunction isnt due to the current head, sometimes personalities clash, and having a new broom in can sweep the floor clean.

Fees here are big though! Look up on the BSM website, and remember there is also a 2000+ OMR one off registration fee. All schools here have this rip-off charge. Make sure your husband's package has the school fees included or compensated for. Mine doesn't so we end up paying about 7,000 OMR per year out of salary for both kids. 7,000 OMR is about GBP 11,500 and that is for two kids in primary. Senior gets way more expensive.

Muscat is a fabulous place to live. If you get a choice in housing, look up taif.me.uk website. If your kids do go to BSM then the three areas you will need to look at for housing are:\
(a) Medinat Sultan Qaboos (MSQ or MQ)
(b) Medinat Al Alam / Al Ilam
(c) Al Khuwair
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the information 'OriginalSunshine' - I should register them with ABA too just to play safe, you're right. As for the fees, yes they are all included in the package which was a massive burden off our head. A fully furnished house + a 4x4 is on the offer too and mostly should be in the MQ area...

Appreciate your comment on what is positive for parents and dull for teenagers we feel that during these years of growth it is better to expose them to a slightly conservative environment where there is a different sort of a learning curve - rather than put them in a more stable system where everything comes on a platter - as in a lot of systems here in the UK.. This means hard work and in turn, preparing for life, which is for their own good. Eventually they can always go back to a Uni in UK.

Thanks again...I can carry on with my job hunt now as my next target area.
Cheers..
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:19 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the information 'OriginalSunshine' - I should register them with ABA too just to play safe, you're right. As for the fees, yes they are all included in the package which was a massive burden off our head. A fully furnished house + a 4x4 is on the offer too and mostly should be in the MQ area...

Appreciate your comment on what is positive for parents and dull for teenagers we feel that during these years of growth it is better to expose them to a slightly conservative environment where there is a different sort of a learning curve - rather than put them in a more stable system where everything comes on a platter - as in a lot of systems here in the UK.. This means hard work and in turn, preparing for life, which is for their own good. Eventually they can always go back to a Uni in UK.

Thanks again...I can carry on with my job hunt now as my next target area.
Cheers..
oops - dont post here that often... if you are still looking for a job, then the sensible obvious thing to do is go to the school websites & see if there are vacancies. I did hear there was a 2e science vacancy but they may have been filled.

Dont rely on people replying to emails - no-one does here in Oman. Call or visit in person if you can.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 5:36 am
Just Joined

OmanMan is an unknown quantity at this point

I have some friends who picked up Muscat jobs through a career fair in San Fran for international teachers.