British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Teaching in Dubai for American company (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/teaching-dubai-american-company-593386/)

alexalexa Feb 23rd 2009 9:24 am

Teaching in Dubai for American company

Hello,

my husband (who works here in Dubai for an engineering company) is on the side an instructor in the USA. (His sponsoring company here knows that and is fine with that.) Now, the US company suggested that my husband would also hold a few classes in the UAE. They would provide materials for teaching and advertising (website, folders, posters) and since the classes are mostly for companies an office would not be needed, as the classes are either held in hotels or in the company itself. I would do the marketing, finance, organisation,...
Now I have one question: Can we just go ahead or do we need some kind of license?

Thank you.

lionheart Feb 23rd 2009 9:45 am

Re: Teaching in Dubai for American company

Originally Posted by alexalexa (Post 7313039)
Hello,

my husband (who works here in Dubai for an engineering company) is on the side an instructor in the USA. (His sponsoring company here knows that and is fine with that.) Now, the US company suggested that my husband would also hold a few classes in the UAE. They would provide materials for teaching and advertising (website, folders, posters) and since the classes are mostly for companies an office would not be needed, as the classes are either held in hotels or in the company itself. I would do the marketing, finance, organisation,...
Now I have one question: Can we just go ahead or do we need some kind of license?

Thank you.

In case you come across an Emirati client who might ask questions, it would be sensible to check with the Ministry of Economy or Labour as my gut feeling tells me that some sort of document will be required, possibly simply a Letter of No Objection from his sponsor.

Blue Cat Feb 23rd 2009 10:56 am

Originally Posted by alexalexa (Post 7313039)
Hello,

Thank you.

any business that involves money changing hands requires a Trade Licence.

Jammy_Dodgers Feb 23rd 2009 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7313243)
any business that involves money changing hands requires a Trade Licence.

I wonder what trade licence Yorks and Imperial Suites has?

Entertainment?
Corporate hospitality?

Blue Cat Feb 23rd 2009 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 7313254)
I wonder what trade licence Yorks and Imperial Suites has?

Entertainment?
Corporate hospitality?

Entertainment I would guess :eek:

alexalexa Feb 24th 2009 7:48 am

Thanks for your answers guys. If anybody has some experience with getting a trade license or doing business in any other way, I'd be thankful if you share it, the government agencies here are not too helpful