British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   teaching dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/teaching-dubai-857151/)

lazyday1234 Apr 26th 2015 5:55 pm

teaching dubai

Hi there,

I am thinking about applying for a teaching job in Dubai or the UAE. Are both these places tax free income? How does the tax free income work. Do people get offered free accommodation when they live out there or is that not so common?
My main concern is how it would be living there as a single female and if there is a social scene that I could get involved in that?

Any advice would be gratefully received

OleJanx Apr 26th 2015 8:09 pm

Re: teaching dubai

Originally Posted by lazyday1234 (Post 11629542)
Hi there,

I am thinking about applying for a teaching job in Dubai or the UAE. Are both these places tax free income? How does the tax free income work. Do people get offered free accommodation when they live out there or is that not so common?
My main concern is how it would be living there as a single female and if there is a social scene that I could get involved in that?

I would advise you to do some more research. Dubai IS one the United Arab Emirates states.

The tax free status depends on how long you stay ouy of the UK.

Plenty of single females, and as for social scene, it more or less has options to suit everyone. It is not Saudi Arabia. It's a fairly free toleramt society, but if you use the search option just to the left of where your user name is ( the top blue bar) I'm pretty sure all your answers can be found.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 27th 2015 5:07 am

Originally Posted by lazyday1234 (Post 11629542)
Hi there,

To echo OleJanxyBoy, Dubai is in the UAE. It's part of it. Dubai is a City and an Emirate (state) in the UAE which is a country.

Tax free - depends on many things.

Single female out here - easy, you'll find plenty of bars, clubs and restaurants with many many ladies night promotions where you can drink as much as you can for free.

Millhouse Apr 27th 2015 5:16 am

Good to seek that you are doing it for all the right reasons. I would have been worried if any of your questions showed any concern for teaching or the kids.

You will fit in well here and have lots of fun. 😃

Irishbeekeeper Apr 27th 2015 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11629922)
Good to seek that you are doing it for all the right reasons. I would have been worried if any of your questions showed any concern for teaching or the kids.

You will fit in well here and have lots of fun. 😃

Be nice now! LazyDay, Millhouse will be more than willing to show you around all the social scene happenings! Come to the UAE or come to Dubai, whichever place offers you a better package you know!

Millhouse Apr 28th 2015 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11629988)
Be nice now! LazyDay, Millhouse will be more than willing to show you around all the social scene happenings! Come to the UAE or come to Dubai, whichever place offers you a better package you know!

fair point. I was actually trying to be funny - not the asshole I came across as.