teaching in dubai

Old Dec 28th 2008, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

cookiegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking teaching in dubai

Hi im currently in london but looking for teaching job to start Sep 2009. I have around 10 yrs primary experience and not looking for a management position, just plain school teacher! What salary is good where I can live comfortably and save? Know of any good jobs? Ive checked out times ed and gulf news. Ive read return flights, med cover and accomodation is a standard package.
*Any thoughts on DIS and horizon?
*But which areas in dubai are good and not good to live in?
*Also do some schools offer transport to and from school, and if not how much does an automatic car cost to hire short and long term?
Im also a qualified Pilates teacher, anyone know of possible work and rates of pay? If im gonna make a big move, its gotta be worth my while

Any advice/comments much appreciated
Old Dec 28th 2008, 1:19 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: teaching in dubai

financially you won't make that much money, in the region of 12,000 dhs a month. But they do provide accomodation and airfares, medical etc. You don't have a choice of where to live they just give you one of their available apartments. You have to get your own way to and from school etc. I live in a building with lots of school teachers who all work fro GEMS education. They seem happy enough. They are here for the middle east experience more than anything else.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 1:35 pm
Just Luvin it!!!

PuRe is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go with horizon rather than DIS - just by what I have heard. search TES for further info, look up the league table it is old but still relevant.

You can earn more than 12kDhs I do and I have only 8yrs. You can hire a car around 2200dhs all in, or you could share with another teacher and cut the costs.

Saving depends on how much you need to send back ... if its none then its much easier
Old Dec 28th 2008, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiegirl
Hi im currently in london but looking for teaching job to start Sep 2009. I have around 10 yrs primary experience and not looking for a management position, just plain school teacher! What salary is good where I can live comfortably and save? Know of any good jobs? Ive checked out times ed and gulf news. Ive read return flights, med cover and accomodation is a standard package.
*Any thoughts on DIS and horizon?
*But which areas in dubai are good and not good to live in?
*Also do some schools offer transport to and from school, and if not how much does an automatic car cost to hire short and long term?
Im also a qualified Pilates teacher, anyone know of possible work and rates of pay? If im gonna make a big move, its gotta be worth my while

Any advice/comments much appreciated
horizon is a fantastic school...staff are all great, and a progressive head teacher, who is scottish...

MM, xx
Old Dec 28th 2008, 1:53 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

I should imagine Repton are recruiting as they are opening more classes next year I think i read somewhere that they pay a bit more than most??
Old Dec 28th 2008, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

UmJammerLeilani is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd second the advice to try check out the GEMS schools. A cousin of a friend of mine works as a teacher over there and recommended I tried them if I was interested in going down that route.

http://www.gemseducation.com/server....ConWebDoc.6412
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
financially you won't make that much money, in the region of 12,000 dhs a month. But they do provide accomodation and airfares, medical etc. You don't have a choice of where to live they just give you one of their available apartments. You have to get your own way to and from school etc. I live in a building with lots of school teachers who all work fro GEMS education. They seem happy enough. They are here for the middle east experience more than anything else.
Ok thanks-but some areas and flats must be nicer than others right? Ive heard some areas are seedy/noisy (or is that all dubai due to construction sites?!)..so which areas are good and not so good to live in?
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PuRe
I would go with horizon rather than DIS - just by what I have heard. search TES for further info, look up the league table it is old but still relevant.

You can earn more than 12kDhs I do and I have only 8yrs. You can hire a car around 2200dhs all in, or you could share with another teacher and cut the costs.

Saving depends on how much you need to send back ... if its none then its much easier
Is that for car hire per month? And saving..I have no financial ties here in england but would really like to save to have something to go back with at the end! I know it depends on where you go out, prices..but on average with a say 12,000d salary how much would you save? I read somewhere £1,000..is that overly unrealistic?!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by UmJammerLeilani
I'd second the advice to try check out the GEMS schools. A cousin of a friend of mine works as a teacher over there and recommended I tried them if I was interested in going down that route.

http://www.gemseducation.com/server....ConWebDoc.6412
Thanks very much will check it out
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
horizon is a fantastic school...staff are all great, and a progressive head teacher, who is scottish...

MM, xx
Thanks for advice and your time
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fairydust
I should imagine Repton are recruiting as they are opening more classes next year I think i read somewhere that they pay a bit more than most??
Ok will check it out
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
Thanks for swift reply..much appreciated.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for swift reply..much appreciated.
Sorry to ask so many questions but you're the ones who live there and know the score! What about saving?? How much is cost of living-food,car,social events, meals and do most schools pay utility bills? Trying to get an idea of how much I could save..Say if i wanted to go diving at weekend, do a dance class and eat out average restaurant..how much would that be in local money? I guess westerner prices are much higher!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

Sorry to ask so many questions but you're the ones who live there and know the score! What about saving?? How much is cost of living-food,car,social events, meals and do most schools pay utility bills? Trying to get an idea of how much I could save..Say if i wanted to go diving at weekend, do a dance class and eat out average restaurant..how much would that be in local money? I guess westerner prices are much higher!

I'm sure there are others better placed to answer this since I am in AD with a family BUT since it seems a bit quiet here goes:

Cost of living here is not much different to the UK - some areas you will save on (running a car, taxi's, manis/pedis) others you will spend more on (many household items, most "western" food items) some average out about the same (eating out, dance/yoga classes).

Only you know how much you need to "live" on but, rent aside, I'd calculate it at about the same as you need in the UK.

IMHO a "good deal" here is that you earn the same as at home but also get housing, car, medical, flights etc.

HTH

The o
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:08 am
Just Luvin it!!!

PuRe is an unknown quantity at this point

as a teacher its rare that you get utilities paid but it does happen - EIS & DESS & DESC I know pay this unsure on the others.

You could save 1kgbp per month it just depends on what you do. Best sending it home just as you get paid so you will find it easier to cope without it.

2200dhs is per month for car rental inc - you could find cheaper options.

You could manage reasonably ok on 12kdhs and sending 6kdhs(1000gbp) althought it could be as much as 7400dhs - depending on exchange rate.

you work out the maths.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.