British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Taxis in Dubai???? Where have they gone!?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/taxis-dubai-where-have-they-gone-778830/)

hell its hot Nov 26th 2012 4:17 pm

Taxis in Dubai???? Where have they gone!?!

Can any one give any insight as to why there seems to be a drought of cab in the Greens/DMC/Dubai Marina at pretty much anytime of the day for the last 4 months? My wife and I share a car so one of us has to cab it every morning, which has never been a problem until August time where there seems to have been a mass exodus of taxi's from the Greens. Resulting in at least half an hours wait every morning even if you book one the night before.

Any good reason why this is happening? Speaking to the RTA they have been zero help and we are a bit stuck as to what to do!!

Considering a car share option to work, so if you are wondering the same let me know and we can organise something (not sure what but we can try).

Any helpful suggestions welcome!

Thanks

HIH

auzdafluff Nov 26th 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Taxis in Dubai???? Where have they gone!?!

Originally Posted by hell its hot (Post 10402106)
Can any one give any insight as to why there seems to be a drought of cab in the Greens/DMC/Dubai Marina at pretty much anytime of the day for the last 4 months? My wife and I share a car so one of us has to cab it every morning, which has never been a problem until August time where there seems to have been a mass exodus of taxi's from the Greens. Resulting in at least half an hours wait every morning even if you book one the night before.

Any good reason why this is happening? Speaking to the RTA they have been zero help and we are a bit stuck as to what to do!!

Considering a car share option to work, so if you are wondering the same let me know and we can organise something (not sure what but we can try).

Any helpful suggestions welcome!

Thanks

HIH

I think it's a combination of it genuinely getting a bit busier, cabbies not liking the greens (I've heard many complain "to many only want to go to Metro"), and possibly (but this is only a theory), the RTA trying to drive up their booking ratings, and with it the higher fare.

BurpusMe Nov 27th 2012 4:15 am

If the cabs are indeed missing - I hope they are getting washed and deodorised!

Millhouse Nov 27th 2012 4:18 am

too much busy, sir

auzdafluff Nov 27th 2012 4:55 am

Originally Posted by BurpusMe (Post 10402985)
If the cabs are indeed missing - I hope they are getting washed and deodorised!

Haha. I think you've got more chance of them replacing all the cabbies with ones who know exactly where they are going down to the number on the street.

LaLaLayla Nov 27th 2012 5:15 am

I am going from The Greens to Media City at 7.30am, if that helps. Oh, and back again at 6pm.

Ditzy Nov 27th 2012 10:59 am

Try this company. little more expensive than taxis, but excellent!

www.careem.com

hell its hot Nov 27th 2012 11:52 am

@ Lalalaya thanks so much for the offer. Will PM you.

@ Ditzy, I have signed up and waiting for the response. Not quite sure what they do exactly but keen to find out if they can help!

Thanks for all the banter too!

HIH

mikewot Nov 28th 2012 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Ditzy (Post 10403401)
Try this company. little more expensive than taxis, but excellent!www.careem.com

I'm registered and will give them a try because getting a taxi in from the desert on a Thurs/Fri night is impossible!

Meow Nov 28th 2012 9:00 am

According to the taxi driver I had last night there is yet another new system in their cabs (the tird this year) but it doesn't work properly. If they even get the request they no longer have a working map/GPS type thing so often cannot find addresses. The drivers are fed up too.

Ronnie Biggs Nov 28th 2012 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10405347)
According to the taxi driver I had last night there is yet another new system in their cabs (the tird this year) but it doesn't work properly. If they even get the request they no longer have a working map/GPS type thing so often cannot find addresses. The drivers are fed up too.

That would make sense. We have taken to walking to a hotel now as the taxis have suddenly become completely unreliable. We live in Al Barsha 1....

rowell Nov 28th 2012 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10405347)

Was told the exact same thing when they didnt turn up last Friday, seems the system has moved from Etisalat to Du

hell its hot Nov 28th 2012 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ditzy (Post 10403401)
Try this company. little more expensive than taxis, but excellent!

www.careem.com

Great shout! Registered with them yesterday. Fantastic service! The wife used them today to get to work and said she is never going back.

Register on their website and they contact you within hours.

They have some good rates going on at the moment so nearly the same as a cab (if your journey is AED40>)

Good guys too!

Patsy Stoned Nov 28th 2012 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by hell its hot (Post 10405685)
Great shout! Registered with them yesterday. Fantastic service! The wife used them today to get to work and said she is never going back.

Register on their website and they contact you within hours.

They have some good rates going on at the moment so nearly the same as a cab (if your journey is AED40>)

Good guys too!

Is this a private car hire? Do they work days and nights? I have just registered so will see when they call me.

Ditzy Nov 28th 2012 2:52 pm

They are great aren't they ;)

It's a private service and you can do it all online. Bookings/cancellations etc. You get an Sms informing you of driver name/number/car type. Bit more expensive but if it is an important journey or person then sometimes it is worth paying more! :thumbsup: