Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Taxi: Bahrain across Causeway - easy? expensive?

Taxi: Bahrain across Causeway - easy? expensive?

Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxi: Bahrain across Causeway - easy? expensive?

Anybody got experience on getting a taxi to Dharan area after landing at Bahrain ?
Easy?
Saudi riyals = ??
Negotiable or metered?
Old Sep 12th 2014, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxi: Bahrain across Causeway - easy? expensive?

usually set up in advance and NEVER metered from what I've heard from colleagues who, like me have had to do this. Yes, Saudi riyals because it has to originate in Saudi. I don't believe Bahraini taxis can go to Saudi.

The only time I did this (before I had a car and used the parking at the airport or Movenpick Hotel near the airport) I was being taken to work and back by a local Khobar taxi guy. He said he knew a guy who did Bahrain airport runs and he'd arrange it for me. I got a phone call later that day from a guy who asked for 250 riyals. I agreed at 200 airport to Khobar. He gave me his number and I gave him mine.

I texted him from the UK a couple of days before my flight with the exact details. He texted me back an 'ok' and was there when I walked out of arrivals. He took me straight back to Saudi. But when I got out of the car he asked for 250 quite agressively. I reminded him of our 200 agreement. He wouldn't budge. I was too exhausted from travelling to argue. WHen I gave him the money, he told me that the extra 50 was for the original taxi friend who recommended him!

Ask pretty much any Dhahran taxi driver and they'll probably know someone who does these runs. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost the numbers of both those drivers
Old Sep 14th 2014, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

250 SR is standard for the single trip Bahrain-Dhahran/Khobar/Dammam. You can haggle and get it down to 200SR (ie 20BD)
Old Sep 15th 2014, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by magnification
Anybody got experience on getting a taxi to Dharan area after landing at Bahrain ?
Easy?
Saudi riyals = ??
Negotiable or metered?
Dammam airport to Bahrain and back is 250riyahls each way pre-booked. This isn't the price just for the 'great white man', I know Fili's saying the same price.

This issue now is pre-booking.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

Should be max 300 SAR but get a receipt and bill it to your company or if they are any way decent they should pick you up.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want the least hassle, the Ritz Carlton Bahrain or the Moevenpick Al Khobar (and also I assume other luxury hotels in the area) can send an expensive - circa 500 SAR - taxi in either direction, and it's normally a luxury car driven by someone who actually knows how to drive and will be there when you ask them to be.

I also used Bahrain Limo & Sabtco once, they were pretty good and about 250 SAR.

Finally, whatever you do, don't use a taxi flagged down off the street. Even if they say they can cross the causeway. Because they can't!! And you will discover this to your displeasure when they ask you to get out at the causeway midpoint (at which point they admit they can go no further, but payment now please).
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

There's a bunch of limo companies in the airport who will take you over. Once you've done the trip once, take their number and pre-arrange in future.