Reload this Page >

Taxation advice from Aussies in ME

Taxation advice from Aussies in ME

Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

di_hb is on a distinguished road
Default Taxation advice from Aussies in ME

Hi all
Given that I am a potential newy to the ME I am interested to find out from any Aussies how they have structured their income tax requirements in Australia.
I have documentation from authorities however its hard to understand....
can you advise on your undertsnading on how an Aust is positioned if working in the ME for an extended period of time ie over 2 yrs? Any info will be useful
Where can advice be obtained?
Thanks
D
Old Dec 19th 2007, 8:01 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxation advice from Aussies in ME

You should seek professional advice - as everyone's circumstances vary.

If you are working overseas you need to determine whether you are still an Australian resident for tax purposes. If you are unsure how to work out your residency status, check the the "Residency – overview" website as follows:
http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessiona...tent/64131.htm

Also check out examples of residency and non-residency at the following site:
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/36280.htm
Especially look at the case of "Bronlyn - an extended job overseas.

Also read the following:
Working Overseas - Overview:
http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessiona...tent/64144.htm

Hope the above may be of some help. I am a non-resident for tax purposes as I sold my property in Australia and also took my superannuation.

MacScot
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi MacScot
Thanks so much for this information.
I am now gathering that unless I can prove non resident status I will have to pay income tax in Australia. I wonder at what rate. If it means the highest tax bracket of 40% one will have to wonder why leave the country?
I suspect that my situation will be similiar to the example cited with "Bronymn"
I will take your advice and check with the ATO before making any decisions. Are you an Aussie?
Regards
D
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:05 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know if you are an Australian resident for tax purposes you pay full tax minus your overseas tax (zero in UAE?) - so you may have to pay the full amount. You need to contact some Aussies that have or are working work overseas for extended periods. However, most Aussie expat web sites are for expats living in Australia - you need to google for Aussie expats living overseas and check for taxation in the site's search window.

I was born in Edinburgh and stayed in Scotland until I was 21. Then moved to Sutton Coldfiled and then Uttoxeter, and the left England in 1983 for three years in Papua New Guinea. Finally moved to Melbourne in 1985, naturalised in 1994 and left in 2006 to Dubai. Last move will be back to Edinburgh - to complete my life cycle !

Having spent 21 years in Australia I always put down on official forms that I am Australian and also use my Aussie passport when travelling.

Hope all works out well with you.
Kind regards
MacScot.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Macscot
Sounds abit scary with the taxation, will investigate further...
Was once married to a scot....21 yrs which is a long time. I hope to see the country one day....I have heard its beautiful
Have a wonderful and happy Xmas.
Thanks for the help.
Regards
D