Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Tax & UK residence for me?? Shortly to go to KSA

Tax & UK residence for me?? Shortly to go to KSA

Old May 22nd 2013, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax & UK residence for me?? Shortly to go to KSA

I end my 5 year Belgian residence in july, then stay a few weeks in UK then off to Saudi for 2 + years.
I don't want too many UK complications so what is best to do to show UK residency again??
As a non-house owner, I will stay at my brother's place in UK so no rent etc.
Is it best to restart NI (which ones?) contributions from his address, then my KSA address.
Thanks
Old May 22nd 2013, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax & UK residence for me?? Shortly to go to KSA

Best way to establish residence is to get on the Voters' Roll (aka Electoral Register). If your brother is getting a reduced council tax becasue he lives alone, he may object to your use of his address !
Old May 23rd 2013, 12:55 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnification
I end my 5 year Belgian residence in july, then stay a few weeks in UK then off to Saudi for 2 + years.
I don't want too many UK complications so what is best to do to show UK residency again??
As a non-house owner, I will stay at my brother's place in UK so no rent etc.
Is it best to restart NI (which ones?) contributions from his address, then my KSA address.
Thanks
Why do you want to show UK residency? Surely you want to be UK non-resident for tax purposes as long as possible?

If you are planning to pay voluntary UK NI contributions as a non-resident then you should be using an overseas address anyway.
Old May 23rd 2013, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

If you are planning to pay voluntary UK NI contributions as a non-resident then you should be using an overseas address anyway.[/QUOTE]

Up ,to meeting the limt on contributions I always paid voluntary NI from my UK address.
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

So you are saying pay NI from Saudi when I arrive there, shortly.
I then say it is my country of residence (till end of contract(s).
What if I then want my daughter to attend UK uni (at the cheap!! rate) in 5 years time when I will be close to retirement age. ?
What if I require social housing, NHS, housing benefit if I return to UK?
Comments please.
Old May 24th 2013, 9:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnification
So you are saying pay NI from Saudi when I arrive there, shortly.
I then say it is my country of residence (till end of contract(s).
What if I then want my daughter to attend UK uni (at the cheap!! rate) in 5 years time when I will be close to retirement age. ?
What if I require social housing, NHS, housing benefit if I return to UK?
Comments please.
Having a UK address doesn't make you resident and if you aren't living in the UK (and paying taxes there) you are not eligible for any benefits or home education rates. You cannot have it both ways.

Edited today that voluntary NI contributions are only relevant to building up eligibility to UK State pension and nothing else. Paying it whilst non-resident does not entitle you to any benefits.
Old May 24th 2013, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

as there are no jobs in UK some of us try to work anywhere even if not making any money rather than being on the dole.
So we are punished for showing initiative.
Where should I open a bank account and in what currency, US $ ?.
Where to retire cheaply?
Old May 24th 2013, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.islamic-bank.com/personal-banking/
Old May 26th 2013, 6:05 am
Northerner - Obhur

Spurss is on a distinguished road

Belgian

UK

Off to KSA

Old May 26th 2013, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Meow is wrong on the benefit question. Paying NI while resident overseas can contribute to entitlement to State Retirement Pension. I get full SRP based on about 10 tears working in the UK - the other years based on contributions made while in the Magic Kingdom.

The OP here is a British national who has been working in Belgium who is now going to work in KSA. What is so weird about that ?
Old May 26th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scot47
Meow is wrong on the benefit question. Paying NI while resident overseas can contribute to entitlement to State Retirement Pension. I get full SRP based on about 10 tears working in the UK - the other years based on contributions made while in the Magic Kingdom.
Paying voluntary NI only gives entitlement to State pension. Now that the the government is proposing a flat rate pension the voluntary NI contributions may prove to have been a waste of money !

You lose entitlement to NHS treatment if you are non resident for more than 5 years. (You must also have lived in UK for 10 years continuously at some time)
Old May 26th 2013, 12:46 pm
Northerner - Obhur

Spurss is on a distinguished road

The OP here is a British national who has been working in Belgium who is now going to work in KSA. What is so weird about that ?
Old May 27th 2013, 10:27 am
Bored liberal

No I'm not. Try reading my post properly. I said "voluntary NI contributions are only relevant to building up eligibility to UK State pension"

Tsk.
Old May 27th 2013, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

After editing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 27th 2013, 12:10 pm
Bored liberal

After editing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Childish.

Edited for clarity about one minute after posting as the OP didn't seem clear about any of it. The fact it doesn't register as edited proves I did it very quickly. You can only edit for two hours anyway, as you don't seem to know. Why are you arguing when I have explained the same thing numerous times on this forum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.