Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Tax - returning to UK for several weeks

Tax - returning to UK for several weeks

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough
Default Tax - returning to UK for several weeks

Some tax advice please...

I came here to work on a sebaticle with an option to go back to my UK employer. UK have now asked me to return. Been here nearly 2 years.

I'm not sure what I want in the long run but my employer here is giving me a break to go back and tie up loose ends and return here. I will get no salary from here whilst away.

I will get a UK salary and they will just consider I have returned to work. I will immediatly go onto a PAYE scheme. How long can I be back in the UK before I would be liable for tax? (Is it 90 days total inc. entry days?).

At this stage I am planning to return to UAE around July for 'the foreseeable future' but would like to make further trips to the UK to see parents in this same tax year etc.

A further question. Whilst I am drawing a UK salary (even if only for a month or three), is there anything advantageous I could start in terms of savings/pension that I could continue when I come back out here? I mean there are some things that cannot be opened or started when you are employed abroad. Here may be a chance to start something.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:32 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax - returning to UK for several weeks

To you final questions the answer is yes. You can start a UK pension if you are employed in the UK and also resident. If you are already paying into a plan you can continue to contribute to it to a maximum of £3,600 per annum even if no longer a UK resident for tax purposes. (You may wish to email me about this)

Regarding your first question, I suggest you have a chat with HMRC, specifically the section for non-residents as I think the 90 day rule comes into play here.