Tax Return query

Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:17 am
Just Joined

doha123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Return query

Just filling out my tax return for 12-13 and i had a query.
I left the UK August 2012 for the middle east, and am still out here now, and have not been back home since coming out here. Will i need to tick the box requesting for split year treatment in the residency pages for the 2012-13 year? I did have income in the UK during the April 2012- August 2012 period prior to coming out here.
Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:22 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return query

Did you complete an R85?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:34 am
Just Joined

doha123 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you mean a P85, yes i did, however i didnt send it off until November 2013.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:40 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

The Split Year Concession doesn't apply until you've become UK Non-Resident for Income Tax purposes, which from your post will be 6th April 2014 at the earliest.

Why are you filling a Tax Return - Were you Self Employed in the UK or did HMRC ask you to?

Read HMRC6 Section 8.5 on how to become and remain UK Non Resident, or better still search for 'UK Residency Test Flowchart' for new HMRC guidance that kicked in in April 2013, but you'd already left the UK by then.

Welcome to Doha by the way!
Old Jan 10th 2014, 4:44 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by doha123
Just filling out my tax return for 12-13 and i had a query.
I left the UK August 2012 for the middle east, and am still out here now, and have not been back home since coming out here. Will i need to tick the box requesting for split year treatment in the residency pages for the 2012-13 year? I did have income in the UK during the April 2012- August 2012 period prior to coming out here.
Thanks
Hello doha123,

The answer to your question is yes as split-year treatment will apply to you for 2012/13 if:

• you have left the UK during the tax year ended 5 April 2013 to become permanently resident abroad, or
• you have left the UK for full-time service under a contract of employment and your absence will continue to at least 6 April 2014