Tax info please

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Bagshot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax info please

Hi all, a little help if possible please.I have been offered a 6 month contract in qatar starting this march, maybe extended, maybe not. What is the tax implications of the contract only running for 6 months and me having to return to the uk, I'm guessing I will be taxed heavily on the money I have made in the qatar, anyway around this ? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Default Tax question

Hi there, a little help please if possible. I have been offered a 6 month contract in qatar starting this march, may be extended beyond 6 months, maybe not. What would the pretax implications be if I had to return home after 6 months, I'm guessing I would be heavily taxed back in the uk on the money I have earned in qatar ? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:29 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax question

Welcome to the forums!

You are liable to full UK tax and NI on your worldwide earnings until you become UK Non-Resident for UK tax purposes. Easiest way to do this is to leave the UK to work overseas on a full-time employment contract for a full tax year, and limit your visits to the UK. Your non-residency gets backdated to the day after you left the UK and there is a split year concession available from HMRC for the year(s) you leave and return. Search online for 'uk statutory residency flowchart' and take your pick. See also HMRC 6 guide, section 8.5.

Ask your prospective employer to issue you with an open ended contract. You've no employment rights out here anyway, so they'll just sack you when they don't need you anymore. Assume you will be paying UK tax and NI, so set funds aside, until you complete a full tax year - 6th April 2015 at the earliest.

Qatar is booming just now, so you'll have no problems finding work opportunities. But Qataris/employers operate a Sponsorship system, so you'll have difficulty changing employer, without a 2 year ban. Choose your employer carefully (Ideally UK or US Company, and not one from the Middle East).

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Jan 23rd 2014 at 1:35 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Tax question

Thanks for that, pretty much as I thought really. One final thing, what proof of earnings will I be asked for on my return, could that be fudged slightly in my favour ? Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax info please

i know the rules have just changed but before you had to be out of the year for a whole tax year otherwise you will be taxed on it all. meow etc is the one to tell you.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

mabusharikh is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought you're only liable to pay tax on UK earnings only!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mabusharikh
Oh dear...
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:33 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mabusharikh
Hello mabusharikh,

If you are classed as UK resident for tax purposes then you are liable for UK tax on your worldwide earnings.