Tax free shopping

Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax free shopping

Hi all,

I'm currently in the UK for work and a bit of a holday, I've had to buy a load of stuff for work, so trying to do the tax free thing where you claim it back at the airport the very up her own arse lady in Selfridges told me you have to have been out of the UK for a full tax year beore you can claim this back. Does anyone know if this is true?

Cheers

Kittycat
x

PS its bloomin cold here!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:06 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax free shopping

It sounds logical because you have to be a recognised UK non-resident.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:05 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you're non-resident, i.e. can show a residence visa from out here and have declared yourself as non-resident to the HMRC and had that accepted, you should be able to take advantage.

You have to be out of the UK for a full tax year to be non-resident, but HMRC don't make you serve that time first, as long as you convince them it's going to be the case. See also "split-year treatment".

I am not a financial advisor, please value my advice as what you paid for it
Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:42 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You do not have to be out of the UK for a year to be classed as non-resident for tax purposes, but have to remain out for the full tax year to retain it.

Here is the info you need (it's the last letter)

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...ate=columnists

By the way, the scheme does not apply to online purchases.

-
Old Jan 30th 2010, 7:11 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
You do not have to be out of the UK for a year to be classed as non-resident for tax purposes, but have to remain out for the full tax year to retain it.
I thought the HMRC wouldn't allow you to be classified as non-resident unless they were satisfied that you would be gone for at least a full tax year?

In other words you don't have to have notched up a full tax year outside to be non-resident, but you do have to demonstrate to them that you're going to?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
I thought the HMRC wouldn't allow you to be classified as non-resident unless they were satisfied that you would be gone for at least a full tax year?

In other words you don't have to have notched up a full tax year outside to be non-resident, but you do have to demonstrate to them that you're going to?
Do read what I said. You ca treated as non-resident from the day you leave, but that can be rescinded if you return before a full tax year (less 90 days) has passed.

Feel free to argue with me on tax issues if you wish....

-
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:49 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Do read what I said. You ca treated as non-resident from the day you leave, but that can be rescinded if you return before a full tax year (less 90 days) has passed.

Feel free to argue with me on tax issues if you wish....
[Edit because it's not worth it]

Oh blah.

To talk about "retaining" non-res status I disagree with. If we're talking the first year, that makes it sound like you could be non-res for a period of less than a year, which - as you say in your later response - is not the case.

To say it will be rescinded in these circumstances, I agree with.

The only additional thing I said was that if the Revenue don't believe you'll be out for a full tax year, they won't treat you as non-res. Disagree with that if you wish.

Last edited by typical; Jan 30th 2010 at 8:58 am.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:00 am
Bored liberal

Sory you didn't understand what I wrote, but it is quite clear and perfectly correct.

Disagree as much as you like, but you have clearly misunderstood and are wrong.

-
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:10 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Sory you didn't understand what I wrote, but it is quite clear and perfectly correct.

Disagree as much as you like, but you have clearly misunderstood and are wrong.

-
I agree with you, once you've chosen your language a little more carefully, and you still say I'm wrong.