tax free?

Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:40 am
Just Joined

uk-guy-in-dubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tax free?

In April I will have completed 3 full UK tax years in Dubai, in full employment, with an average of 40 days visits each year to the UK.

My UK accountant says that is not enough to be able to return to the UK. If I return before 5 full tax years I will be taxed on everything I earnt out here!!!!

There must be thousands of guys like me in Dubai.

I would really like to hear from anybody that works for big companies in Dubai, to see what your personnel people are saying to you. Has anybody else hit this brick wall?

Is 3 years really not enough?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:41 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax free?

I am no expert but I thought you could return any time? most people try to return at the beginning of the tax year though
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:45 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Meow will sort you out. My understanding is that you need 5 years to be completely tax free but I may be wrong.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Blue Cat; that used to be the case but HMRC are squeezing every penny, so I'm told you have to do 5 full tax years away else you will be taxed on your worldwide income, irrespective if it was earnt outside the uk.

Lionheart; can you give me the contact details and I'll make contact.

Thanks.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk-guy-in-dubai
In April I will have completed 3 full UK tax years in Dubai, in full employment, with an average of 40 days visits each year to the UK.

My UK accountant says that is not enough to be able to return to the UK. If I return before 5 full tax years I will be taxed on everything I earnt out here!!!!

There must be thousands of guys like me in Dubai.

I would really like to hear from anybody that works for big companies in Dubai, to see what your personnel people are saying to you. Has anybody else hit this brick wall?

Is 3 years really not enough?
Oh dear. Your accountant is wrong. Most UK accountants are not very familiar with the rules relating to expats/non-residency as they rarely deal with such issues.

The magic five years relates to capital gains. For the three full tax years you will have no liability to UK income tax provided this was all overseas earnings, as you have spent little time in the UK. You could potentially have a tax liability for partial years either side, but that will depend on actual dates of departure and return.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Thank you Meow. Can you pm me your contact details as would like to meet and discuss. I must say I find the HMRC6 document horribly complicated so your guidance would be extremely helpful.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:30 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Meow. Can you pm me your contact details as would like to meet and discuss. I must say I find the HMRC6 document horribly complicated so your guidance would be extremely helpful.
You can't PM until you have made five posts, but you can find my contact details, and further info, on my blog/website - see link below.

Edit - seem I was wrong as I should be able to PM you, but as I try and send I keep getting the usual server error message. Something wrong with the site as no issues anywhere else...

Last edited by Meow; Jan 24th 2011 at 7:34 am.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Aha.......... the old 'ask-Meow-for-advice-then-arrange-to-meet-her-ostensibly-to-discuss-your-personal-tax-liability-but-in-fact-you-want-to-get-her-knickers-off' trick........... that old chestnut..........
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Aha.......... the old 'ask-Meow-for-advice-then-arrange-to-meet-her-ostensibly-to-discuss-your-personal-tax-liability-but-in-fact-you-want-to-get-her-knickers-off' trick........... that old chestnut..........
what knickers ....
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:30 am
Bored liberal

*gasps*

Outrgageous. I am the very model of professionalism. I can't help it if my dulcet tones droning on about tax and pensions does things to some people...

BC - you're dead.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Avarice is on a distinguished road

Hi mate, I can definatley offer you some help on this. Call me on 0552545112 As far as im aware you will NOT be taxed on your earnings simply because you have only been here three years however my company specializes in offering ways around these kinds of problems.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avarice
Hi mate, I can definatley offer you some help on this. Call me on 0552545112 As far as im aware you will NOT be taxed on your earnings simply because you have only been here three years however my company specializes in offering ways around these kinds of problems.
You may find this website helpful:

www.dontinvademeowsterritory.com
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:56 am
Bored liberal

You may find this website helpful:

www.dontinvademeowsterritory.com
Thanks, but not required. I hardly think a post like his is going to sound reassuring to anyone wanting serious advice. Does he work for VD?? *shudder* If so they wouldn't know about tax issues if they jumped up and slapped them in the face....