British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Tax Advisor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/tax-advisor-877191/)

cookiedad May 9th 2016 8:27 am

Tax Advisor

Hello,
I am currently based in Qatar. Due to my family circumstances and work requirements, I may be visiting the UK quite often this tax year.

I am concerned that I may trip the UK tax residency rules as a result. While I understand them (as much as a lay person could) I am no tax expert. I wanted to reach out to a tax advisor/consultant to figure our my options and the tax implications.

Would any of you be able to suggest/recommend a Tax advisor/consultant?

Thank you

Brains1983 May 9th 2016 8:35 am

Re: Tax Advisor

Originally Posted by cookiedad (Post 11943173)
Hello,
I am currently based in Qatar. Due to my family circumstances and work requirements, I may be visiting the UK quite often this tax year.

I am concerned that I may trip the UK tax residency rules as a result. While I understand them (as much as a lay person could) I am no tax expert. I wanted to reach out to a tax advisor/consultant to figure our my options and the tax implications.

Thank you

Norm and Meow will likely be able to assist with this.

Meow May 9th 2016 10:58 am

Hello,

Thank you

You can take a look at this article (which is still correct) for some assistance but please be aware that professional advice (as opposed by guesses from people on the internet) carries a fee.

https://financialuae.me/2013/02/12/i...esidency-test/

cookiedad May 9th 2016 11:10 am

Meow,
Thanks for the link. I am willing to pay a fee for the advice. I am trying to speak to somebody who is recommended by people (rather than by google search) and hopefully charges a reasonable fee :-)

Sabi Star May 9th 2016 2:40 pm

Hello,

Thank you

Only use tax advisers that are resident in the UK. Anyone here is not really accountable for the advise they give you.

Johnnyboy11 May 9th 2016 3:26 pm

Meantime, here's a useful flowchart on the Statutory Residence Test which will let you calculate the number of days you can visit/ work in the UK. Best pay for professional advice if you are in any doubt or your circumstances are unusual.

As a minimum you need to work full-time overseas for a full tax year to be confirmed UK non-resident (status backdated to when you left the UK).

I read somewhere that you can enter the UK from Dublin via ferry without a passport check, so no-one would know you were in the UK... You'd still need to be able to evidence you were working in Qatar, if asked by HMRC.

cookiedad May 9th 2016 4:06 pm

Thanks Johnnyboy for the flowchart. I would still like to take professional advice. If you or anybody in the forum can recommend any tax advisors, I am grateful.

Sabi Star May 9th 2016 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by cookiedad (Post 11943559)
Thanks Johnnyboy for the flowchart. I would still like to take professional advice. If you or anybody in the forum can recommend any tax advisors, I am grateful.

PWC London but ask what your fees will be first.

Meow May 10th 2016 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Sabi Star (Post 11943469)
Only use tax advisers that are resident in the UK. Anyone here is not really accountable for the advise they give you.

Be aware that not everyone in the UK understands how the rules apply to expats. Time and again I have to correct UK based accountants as they are not familiar with the non-residency rules.

There are people here who fully understand and give professional advice. It's just that some of us get a bit tired of requests for free advice with no thanks.

cookiedad May 10th 2016 10:37 am

Meow,
Understand that frustration. I am willing to pay a fee for the advice. I want some references. In case you have the experience and/or are qualified to provide advise, I am willing to take the conversation offline.

Else would appreciate any references.

Thanks

TopNik May 12th 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Sabi Star (Post 11943469)

Not correct, everyone is accountable.

TopNik May 12th 2016 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11944105)
Be aware that not everyone in the UK understands how the rules apply to expats. Time and again I have to correct UK based accountants as they are not familiar with the non-residency rules.

There are people here who fully understand and give professional advice. It's just that some of us get a bit tired of requests for free advice with no thanks.

I totally agree, well said :thumbsup:

TopNik May 12th 2016 7:44 am

:welcome:

Sabi Star May 12th 2016 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by TopNik (Post 11945964)
Not correct, everyone is accountable.

Oh really? - Well an accountant from Yorkshire at KPMG, Dubai told me no one in Dubai could be "accountable" for UK tax advice because at the end of the day they could not be sued in Dubai by their clients - which seemed to make sense. I expect you could get very general tax advice in Dubai though.