Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Old May 29th 2012, 9:12 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by Scamp
So why not the same moans and groans when you travel round the UK or Europe?
Well simply there is not as much desalination as rainwater and freshwater sources are available , I think there is only one very recent plant in the UK.

Treatment is much better policed, some chemicals are not allowed and even desalinated water gets pooled with other sources so diluting it a lot. In the ME its usually 100%
Old May 29th 2012, 9:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Well simply there is not as much desalination as rainwater and freshwater sources are available , I think there is only one very recent plant in the UK.

Treatment is much better policed, some chemicals are not allowed and even desalinated water gets pooled with other sources so diluting it a lot. In the ME its usually 100%
OK. What's the crack with flouride here and brushing your teeth?
Old May 29th 2012, 9:32 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
OK. What's the crack with flouride here and brushing your teeth?
Flouride is to prevent decay.
However the logic used in the ME and where I am now is that if 1% of some chemical is good for you than 2% must be twice as good. And it seems to be applied across the board.

Anyhow you have exhausted my desalination plant knowledge all gained from wikipedia of course
Old May 29th 2012, 9:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

However the logic used in the ME and where I am now is that if 1% of some chemical is good for you than 2% must be twice as good. And it seems to be applied across the board.

Anyhow you have exhausted my desalination plant knowledge all gained from wikipedia of course
Understood.
Old May 29th 2012, 9:46 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

so , if a 4% alcohol content in beer is good, 8% must be twice as good Makes sense to me.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:44 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

My hair was shite over there. The water is way worse - Scamp just get over it. It dries it out and yes you can use conditioner, but if you have thin, softy namby pamby hair like me, it really can't handle repeated desalinated attacks.

I have noticed a massive difference on new hair growth since leaving.

Interesting about the fluoride - took the kids for their dental check up when we got back to blighty. Dentist asked if they had been brushing using the water in Dubai, knowing it had been over topped up with the fluoride. How he knew and I never bloody knew... I admit I actually never, ever thought about it although we never would drink the tap water. Duh. Anyway, he could see signs of fluorosis on my youngest's newer adult teeth. I was a bit horrified.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:56 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by popsicle
I must be the only person then whose hair comes out better in Bahrain than the UK. South East water makes my hair dry and brittle, whereas here its absolutely fine. Loads better in fact.
The first place I lived in Bahrain we had awesome water and it was only when I realised they were using sweet-water in the showers that I understood why. It was almost as good as being back in Norway...Somehow I don't think they were supposed to do it though...
Old May 30th 2012, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

Thinking about it further, it's more likely the weather that impacts on losing hair more than the desalinated water.

We moult in the summer and therefore shed quite a bit of hair and is most noticeable when showering. When the weather cools, it's not as obvious and one could tend to think it's thickening again.

We all lose hair, it's natural.
Old May 30th 2012, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desert_dwellers
Hi Guys
I am making a move to Bahrain any time soon. As age is creeping up on me my hair has now become the last remaining unspoiled asset of my physique, therefore when
I read some where that using the tap water for showering can cause hair lose for men because it contains excessive amount of chemicals I became really alarmed. The advice goes on to say, ' use bottle water for washing the hair or else watch your hair dropping off every time you take a shower', is that true or are they pulling my leg?

cheeeeers
I understood that tap water was high in chlorine. My hair did tend to look dry and frizzy compared to the UK and US.
Old May 30th 2012, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amy77
All you need to do is switch to a swimmer's shampoo instead of normal shampoo. This addresses the problem with the chlorine and other nasties from the desalination process stripping your hair. Job done.

I use Boots 'Sun, Swim & Gym' or Paul Mitchell No. 3 and my hair's been fine.
I don't live in the UAE anymore but I shampoo my hair too often and spend a lot of time in the pool, so I am going try your advice.
Old May 30th 2012, 9:23 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
in all seriousness, I think it affects different colours differently. I notice the women that moan about hair loss all have black / dark hair. The blondes seem OK. I'm not sure how it works for those that are not collar-cuff though it must be said.
I have dark hair and a full head of it too after 12 years washing it in the UAE.

Hair loss is mostly genetic, followed by lifestyle, stress etc and finally environmental...

Most of the people who claim UAE water made them bald would have gone bald anyway. It's not so great in terms of hair quality though - but a decent conditioner and the odd oil treatment, heck even a drop of baby oil now and again will do the trick.

Now we can go back to worrying about how much our maids have stolen from us...O the drama of the expat existence.

N.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Desalinated water is H2O , before it distributed it is mineralised all of the minerals are added to make drinking water. The rate of chlorine delay increases exponentially with temperature which means that in the GCC they need to add a lot more chlorine to make sure that yur water stays disinfected up to your tap. Bottled water is essential the same as tap water so no point wasting your money washing your hair in bottled water. It is the air conditioned dust laden climate that affects your hair not the tap water.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 1:49 am
V_G
Just Joined

V_G is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Desalinated water is H2O , before it distributed it is mineralised all of the minerals are added to make drinking water. The rate of chlorine delay increases exponentially with temperature which means that in the GCC they need to add a lot more chlorine to make sure that yur water stays disinfected up to your tap. Bottled water is essential the same as tap water so no point wasting your money washing your hair in bottled water. It is the air conditioned dust laden climate that affects your hair not the tap water.
Sounds about right to me, i wouldn't say the water has absolutely no effect on the hair/skin conditions;Though only if you look at the effects of being exposed to cold/hot temps a couple of times a day and the dusty weather all around you, then you realize whats really going on