Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Old May 29th 2012, 8:08 am
  #31  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 56
amy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

All you need to do is switch to a swimmer's shampoo instead of normal shampoo. This addresses the problem with the chlorine and other nasties from the desalination process stripping your hair. Job done.

I use Boots 'Sun, Swim & Gym' or Paul Mitchell No. 3 and my hair's been fine.
amy77 is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 8:47 am
  #32  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 64
popsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to all
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

I must be the only person then whose hair comes out better in Bahrain than the UK. South East water makes my hair dry and brittle, whereas here its absolutely fine. Loads better in fact.
popsicle is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 8:58 am
  #33  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by popsicle
I must be the only person then whose hair comes out better in Bahrain than the UK. South East water makes my hair dry and brittle, whereas here its absolutely fine. Loads better in fact.
It is because everyone that says there is an issue with it is making it up because the other bird they spoke to at Park N Shop said they had bad hair because of all the nasty chemicals.

Utter bollocks.
scrubbedexpat141 is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 9:04 am
  #34  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,713
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by Scamp
It is because everyone that says there is an issue with it is making it up because the other bird they spoke to at Park N Shop said they had bad hair because of all the nasty chemicals.

Utter bollocks.

You are wrong Scamp. Plenty of people have issues in the short term. The hair doesn't all fall out, but it can be affected. Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others.
Meow is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 9:07 am
  #35  
Joined on April fools day
 
Beaverstate's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: 30 miles from a decent grocery store.
Posts: 10,642
Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by Meow
You are wrong Scamp. Plenty of people have issues in the short term. The hair doesn't all fall out, but it can be affected. Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others.
How did that gulf water get all the way over here? I've been losing my hair for years.
Beaverstate is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 9:13 am
  #36  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,713
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
How did that gulf water get all the way over here? I've been losing my hair for years.
That's globalisation for you...
Meow is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 9:14 am
  #37  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by Meow
You are wrong Scamp. Plenty of people have issues in the short term. The hair doesn't all fall out, but it can be affected. Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others.
But it's water.

Fundamentally it's water that's on your hair for moments. Then is dried.

You don't hear of the same happening in the UK. My Dad hasn't lost his hair travelling between the CAnaries and Greece where he now lives.
scrubbedexpat141 is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 9:17 am
  #38  
Joined on April fools day
 
Beaverstate's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: 30 miles from a decent grocery store.
Posts: 10,642
Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by Meow
That's globalisation for you...
Thanks. I'll use that from time to time as the situation arises. Quoting you of course.
Beaverstate is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 9:28 am
  #39  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,713
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by Scamp
But it's water.

Fundamentally it's water that's on your hair for moments. Then is dried.

You don't hear of the same happening in the UK. My Dad hasn't lost his hair travelling between the CAnaries and Greece where he now lives.
This isn't the UK and the tap water here is desalinated. Look, it does affect some people, but if you weren't affected then why do you care?
Meow is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 9:46 am
  #40  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by Meow
This isn't the UK and the tap water here is desalinated. Look, it does affect some people, but if you weren't affected then why do you care?
Because stuff like this annoys me. It's nothing more than hypochondria
scrubbedexpat141 is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 9:49 am
  #41  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,887
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by Scamp
Because stuff like this annoys me. It's nothing more than hypochondria
It's OK to admit to being wrong Scamp.
Millhouse is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 9:51 am
  #42  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It's OK to admit to being wrong Scamp.
I did once. August 8th 1997.

It was to do with Brian Lara.

But on this one, it's just fair to shut up.
scrubbedexpat141 is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 9:53 am
  #43  
Knee deep and rising
 
weasel decentral's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,007
weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by Scamp
Because stuff like this annoys me. It's nothing more than hypochondria
Speaking as someone who has lashed up the odd desalination plant here and there, I can assure you there is a huge difference in the final chemical composition of the water that comes out of your tap and similar from fresh or rainwater sources.
Also the good old ME also over fluoridates its water, for certain reasons.

Surely a Pepsi style taste test between a bottle of still water and what exits your tap will easily show this.
weasel decentral is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 9:57 am
  #44  
Joined on April fools day
 
Beaverstate's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: 30 miles from a decent grocery store.
Posts: 10,642
Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Speaking as someone who has lashed up the odd desalination plant here and there, I can assure you there is a huge difference in the final chemical composition of the water that comes out of your tap and similar from fresh or rainwater sources.
Also the good old ME also over fluoridates its water, for certain reasons.

Surely a Pepsi style taste test between a bottle of still water and what exits your tap will easily show this.
Oh hell yes! A little out of area but tap water in Los Angeles is undrinkable, whereas in my neck of the woods bottled water seems a waste of money. Huge differences.
Beaverstate is offline  
Old May 29th 2012, 10:04 am
  #45  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Is the tap water in the Gulf hair friendly?

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Speaking as someone who has lashed up the odd desalination plant here and there, I can assure you there is a huge difference in the final chemical composition of the water that comes out of your tap and similar from fresh or rainwater sources.
Also the good old ME also over fluoridates its water, for certain reasons.

Surely a Pepsi style taste test between a bottle of still water and what exits your tap will easily show this.
So why not the same moans and groans when you travel round the UK or Europe?
scrubbedexpat141 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.