Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Taking a Year Out to Work in Dubai for One Year...

Taking a Year Out to Work in Dubai for One Year...

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking a Year Out to Work in Dubai for One Year...

Hi

Need some input...

I'm originally from UK but have lived in Canada for the past 3 years. I'm getting married in January to a Canadian. We're both in our mid 30's and would like to travel a little before we have kids in a couple of years. My fiancee is a French Immersion teacher (Grade School) with 10 years expereince and 2 Degrees. I am a Microsoft Consultant with 10 years experience and worked in Kuwait a few years ago for nearly a year. I kinda liked Dubai and thought it might be fun to come back and work there some time.

How difficult is it to get a teacing job in Dubai? What are the normal packages consisting of? Presumably this would be Agency based for both of us, as we would llike to do it for a year and see how it goes.

I'd really appreciate any input on what the best agencies are (Teaching + IT) to deal with and some comments on the cost of living etc etc

Cheers!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a Year Out to Work in Dubai for One Year...

Originally Posted by stuabroad
Hi

Need some input...

I'm originally from UK but have lived in Canada for the past 3 years. I'm getting married in January to a Canadian. We're both in our mid 30's and would like to travel a little before we have kids in a couple of years. My fiancee is a French Immersion teacher (Grade School) with 10 years expereince and 2 Degrees. I am a Microsoft Consultant with 10 years experience and worked in Kuwait a few years ago for nearly a year. I kinda liked Dubai and thought it might be fun to come back and work there some time.

How difficult is it to get a teacing job in Dubai? What are the normal packages consisting of? Presumably this would be Agency based for both of us, as we would llike to do it for a year and see how it goes.

I'd really appreciate any input on what the best agencies are (Teaching + IT) to deal with and some comments on the cost of living etc etc

Cheers!
use the search button to find the many threads on cost of living here.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...f+living+dubai

Your wife will need to apply for a visa because she is Canadian and they have been taken off the list of countries who automatically get a visa on entry.
I know nothing about teaching agencies but there are lots of people who will be able to help.
Welcome to the 'bored'
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:10 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's rare for teachers to work for only one year. Most schools require 2-3 year contracts.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:57 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Need some input...

Cheers!
I think that's cool. It would be a bit tough Taking a Month Out to Work in Dubai for One Year...

Are you into capital teaching?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
I think that's cool. It would be a bit tough Taking a Month Out to Work in Dubai for One Year...

Are you into capital teaching?
No idea what Capital teaching is, my other half is the teacher brains. But yeah i would think a month would present problems. However from above post it seems a year is also a short time. It may be that she teaches only part time anyway and i provide the main income stream. We're there for the experience as opposed to pure career enhancement.

What about cost of living. Expensive or manageable?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

What about cost of living. Expensive or manageable?
Errr...see my post above
this link.....
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...living+d ubai
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Errr...see my post above
this link.....
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...living+d ubai
That is helpful, thank you. I'm wondering based on this if a year is really 'doable'. When i worked out in Kuwait all was provided. I think agency based positions (satisfying a one-year only requirement like mine) are not going to include a house/car. If i was moving as a permanent position different story.

I'll continue to research. Thanks.