Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Taking a laptop to Jeddah

Taking a laptop to Jeddah

Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:09 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taking a laptop to Jeddah

Originally Posted by Crash
Thanks for the tips, I finally got into Jeddah last night after a long flight delay. Customs did not even acknowledge or ask about my laptop. I don't usually carry CD's so that was not an issue. I did get badgered to no end by a freelance taxi driver who told me he would offer me a cut-rate 200 riyal fare to my hotel. When I finally made it outside to the white taxi's I found out that the actual rate was only 100 riyals to almost any location in Jeddah. Jeddah is also much more liberal than what has been described, I saw many women about with no head covering at all. I was also told that the ladies may also be driving soon, I'm not sure if anyone would want to drive here though! The traffic is similar to Dubai, but here they actually sometimes hit each other as they jockey through traffic.
By the way, some of the absolute best Thai restaurants are in Jeddah, dirt cheap as well. Worth the effort to search and find...
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

addyonline will become famous soon enough

Excellent so you made it.

The thing is that saudi people are very unpredictable...you never know.

Sometimes they are pain in the @$$ and sometimes heavenly creature.

Anyway take care.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Taken my laptop there many times, and never been bothered.
I've seen other travelers get "scanned" tho. It does happen.

Jeddah is a bit dumpy, but it's more chilled out than Riyadh... I like the crazy roundabout sculptures and roadside art.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Speaking about road... please drive on the middle road. These saudis are sucider !!!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by addyonline
Speaking about road... please drive on the middle road. These saudis are sucider !!!
In KSA the hard shoulder is also known as a lane.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Crash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dutchie
By the way, some of the absolute best Thai restaurants are in Jeddah, dirt cheap as well. Worth the effort to search and find...
Thanks Dutchie, I will be on the lookout as I love Thai food.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Crash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Taken my laptop there many times, and never been bothered.
I've seen other travelers get "scanned" tho. It does happen.

Jeddah is a bit dumpy, but it's more chilled out than Riyadh... I like the crazy roundabout sculptures and roadside art.
Thanks BM, tomorrow I will try to make my way to the new Corniche area where there is a lot of new development and supposed to be very nice. I am in the downtown or old town area and it is not a lot to look at.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:40 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

And don't forget the blood laws BM, you involved in an accident with Saudi kids or females involved? Then you can honestly say "I'm up shit creek, all the way..." And yes, if you don't have friends that bring at least two meals to prison per day? You're on one big mega diet... My advise? Don't drive. Only really advantage is they won't dig a hole in Saudi soil and drop your body in it Christian Dog
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks addy, I did notice that the lane dividers appear to be entirely optional even when there was none or little traffic. I have met a few local and they seem very nice, especially when they are not driving
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Errr you mean they are known as Over Taking Lane !!! :curse:
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Crash.... the problem with the arabs.... is they have attitude problem. U haven't seen how the Egyptian drive in Egypt...its madness.

I have had bad experiences and one idiot literally tried to kill me on the high way. I ended up having my rear smashed and the front fender as well

Do drive extra carefully when its foggy.
And if want you any arab to do something... then tell me DON'T do it.. they will do it. Example... NO Parking.. and they will park.

And word of tips... if a taxi says Sr 50... then divide that by 3... that is what you should pay him.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Crash.... the problem with the arabs.... is they have attitude problem. U haven't seen how the Egyptian drive in Egypt...its madness.

I have had bad experiences and one idiot literally tried to kill me on the high way. I ended up having my rear smashed and the front fender as well

Do drive extra carefully when its foggy.
And if want you any arab to do something... then tell me DON'T do it.. they will do it. Example... NO Parking.. and they will park.

And word of tips... if a taxi says Sr 50... then divide that by 3... that is what you should pay him.
Funny you say that, I was talking to a local today and he told me that he refuses to drive in Egypt, this was while he was taking me on a wild sight seeing trip around the city