Reload this Page >

Taking a labrador to Qatar

Taking a labrador to Qatar

Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

ShoppingJoJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking a labrador to Qatar

Hello all,

I'm sure this a common question for families that relocate, we are British but currently living in Sydney and have done for the past 6 years.

We now have a job offer in Qatar, and wouldn't dream of leaving our beloved Lab behind but I am concerned about stories that the Qatari people do not like dogs (fair enough not everyone does!), dogs get stolen, poisoned, there is nowwhere to walk them off leash plus they struggle with the heat and the boredom that comes with that! We are use to hot Summers in Sydney but I'm aware that the UAE is quite different.

We are responsible dog owners but we wouldn't take a job if not suitable for our dog as he is very uch part of our family.

Jo x
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 10:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Taking a labrador to Qatar

Originally Posted by ShoppingJoJo
Hello all,

I'm sure this a common question for families that relocate, we are British but currently living in Sydney and have done for the past 6 years.

We now have a job offer in Qatar, and wouldn't dream of leaving our beloved Lab behind but I am concerned about stories that the Qatari people do not like dogs (fair enough not everyone does!), dogs get stolen, poisoned, there is nowwhere to walk them off leash plus they struggle with the heat and the boredom that comes with that! We are use to hot Summers in Sydney but I'm aware that the UAE is quite different.

We are responsible dog owners but we wouldn't take a job if not suitable for our dog as he is very uch part of our family.

Jo x
1.l Qatar isn't in the UAE.
2. I know a family who brought their Golden Retriever out here to Dubai and he ****ing loved it.
3. Not sure about Qatar though, the main groups that didn't like the dog when we walked him were Indians and Filipinos. They ****ing shit themselves.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Jo x
Plenty dogs here and a wide range of veterinary facilities and groups , it's tough for them in the summer as you would imagine . Just make sure you have permission to have the dog in your villa .

There's a real fear of dogs here especially larger breeds . It's mostly expats that have dogs as they're frowned upon by the incumbent local morons .

check out QAWS | Qatar Animal Welfare Society HOME and you'll find plenty stuff on Facebook groups and in Time Out Doha - City Guide, Information, Events, Reviews & What's On in the City of Doha
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:08 am
Just Joined

worldtrekker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi JoJo,

It's tricky having a dog in Qatar and slightly more difficult with larger breeds, but it's not impossible. One of my first jobs in Qatar, many years ago, was house-sitting a lovely labrador-retriever for a British family, while they were on annual leave. Taking her for a walk was next to impossible, because a) it was usually too hot, b) just walking up and down the dusty road outside was pretty boring anyway, and c) people's reaction could be quite extreme -- shrieking, hiding, running away, on sight of her, even from across the road and despite her being a harmless, very friendly, floppy eared sweetie. But that was before I understood the cultural differences.

For Muslims, contact with dogs is considered 'haram' (not allowed/forbidden) according to the Koran, like other things such as eating pork, usury, etc. This and the lack of exposure, as with anything, tends to result in Muslims being quite frightened of them. Sub-continent Asians and Filipinos who aren't Muslim tend also to be scared of dogs but their fears tend to arise from having been exposed to dogs with serious diseases such as rabies, in their home countries. So the fear and aversion shown by locals is understandable. These are all things to consider then, if you were going to bring your dog with you.

You're clearly a good, responsible dog owner who absolutely has your dog's interests in mind, and most dogs don't do well without proper exercise. How happy would he (and you) be, if you're not able to walk him easily? In the heat? The villa where I dog-sat wasn't in a gated expat community, which made it especially awkward. I did know of other expats, though, who kept small dogs quite happily there; they were even allowed to let their dogs cool off in the communal pool. So you might be in a better position, if you were able to live in one of those with your dog. Once I knew Qatar better, I would've known to take my canine 'ward' to quiet beach areas, well outside Doha; however, to do that isn't simple either, as it requires being familiar enough with the place to know where to go and probably not on your own either, to be safe; lots of expats get lost and cars break down or get stuck in the sand. If you're female, as with any place, it's not wise to be out in a deserted place on your own.

Other considerations to keep in mind are: Who will look after him, if you need to leave the country suddenly or for an extended period? You might be able to find other expats or their kids willing to stop by and feed or play with him for a bit. How well would he cope with the journey out there? If you decide you don't like the country, how well would he cope with the journey home?

Finally, relocating to any unfamiliar country can be stressful; would having to consider all this just make it more so, for your dog, you and your family. I think it's fantastic that you're prepared not to take a job in a place that's not suitable for your dog; if only all dog-owners were as caring, committed and responsible as you are. And there are lots of other places to work in the world, which are much more dog-friendly. In the meantime, best of luck considering all this. I hope my reply helps a bit!

Last edited by worldtrekker; Jun 3rd 2015 at 11:13 am.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Jo x
Hi there,
I have been in Qatar for a few months, I moved from the USA. My wife and I volunteer for PAWS a local rescue organization. We adopted a dog here and foster other dogs. As a dog owner, and rescue volunteer I echo what has been said. It is NOT a dog or any other animal friendly place. Yes you can live with a pet here, but it's not easy. You should only walk your dog in your compound, or you can go to Al Wakra beach south of Doha for an off leash runaround. We also go to the mangroves-which are being slowly destroyed by developers, or purple island for a good dog adventure. I go on Friday mornings only when the local are all at the mosque.
Yes, you have to be careful when on a walk as people will poison meat and leave it out for dogs to eat and die from. A friends dog died recently when walking on Al Wakra beach.

There is a level of barbaric sub-human cruelty here i have never ever seen anywhere else. I have rescued animals that were: raped to death- a kitten that died on the operating table, puppies thrown against the wall to see how long it takes them to die, dogs with their legs tied up dragged behind a landcruiser to death, injected with pesticide so they will seize to death-calling "dancing" by those that commit this act to dogs being used as target practice or cut open for fun.

So can i honestly recommend you bring your lovely pet here, no.
Go somewhere else, or you will be worrying all the time.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
Hi there,
I have been in Qatar for a few months, I moved from the USA. My wife and I volunteer for PAWS a local rescue organization. We adopted a dog here and foster other dogs. As a dog owner, and rescue volunteer I echo what has been said. It is NOT a dog or any other animal friendly place. Yes you can live with a pet here, but it's not easy. You should only walk your dog in your compound, or you can go to Al Wakra beach south of Doha for an off leash runaround. We also go to the mangroves-which are being slowly destroyed by developers, or purple island for a good dog adventure. I go on Friday mornings only when the local are all at the mosque.
Yes, you have to be careful when on a walk as people will poison meat and leave it out for dogs to eat and die from. A friends dog died recently when walking on Al Wakra beach.

There is a level of barbaric sub-human cruelty here i have never ever seen anywhere else. I have rescued animals that were: raped to death- a kitten that died on the operating table, puppies thrown against the wall to see how long it takes them to die, dogs with their legs tied up dragged behind a landcruiser to death, injected with pesticide so they will seize to death-calling "dancing" by those that commit this act to dogs being used as target practice or cut open for fun.

So can i honestly recommend you bring your lovely pet here, no.
Go somewhere else, or you will be worrying all the time.
They do the same to humans