Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

To take a dog or not to take a dog that is the question......

To take a dog or not to take a dog that is the question......

Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To take a dog or not to take a dog that is the question......

Good for you Lolapops. Glad it all went well. Wouldn't move anywhere without my motley lot.

Good luck in Abu Dhabi
Nic
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Lolapops is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nic1
Good for you Lolapops. Glad it all went well. Wouldn't move anywhere without my motley lot.

Good luck in Abu Dhabi
Nic
Hi Nic1

Are you based in Abu Dhabi?

Who's in your motely lot?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately not, we are in Riyadh . . . Got 5 dogs and 4 cats, shipped them all here from Dubai about 14 months ago. One day, in the not toooooo distnat future, I hope to ship them all out again!! Some great friends of ours are in Abu Dhabi and they love it.

Cheers
Nic
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Woodyontour is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lolapops
Definitely take him!

We've just moved to Abu Dhabi and brought our dog and cat - couldn't have dreamt of leaving them - indeed we wouldn't have come if we'd had to.

Relatively easy from the UK, a few jabs and a certificate from DEFRA (all organised by your vet), then transportation and import permit are all organised by the pet transportation company such as Airpets in UK who liaise with the BVC (British Veterniary Cebntre) in AD.

Quite expensive about £2K all in but so worth it. They were so happy to see us again and are settling in well. The dog is coping with the heat by throwing himself in the nerest water feature/sea whenever possible and the cat has already landed her first Middle Eastern bird!!
Is it possible to find beaches to take him too over there so he could go in the sea? Its a nightmare decision to have to make!!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Woodyontour
Is it possible to find beaches to take him too over there so he could go in the sea? Its a nightmare decision to have to make!!
Another thing I should have mentioned is that our dog was seriously ill back in April - the vets thought he had lymphoma - fortunately that was not the case and he is slowly getting back to be like he was. Anyway he had a week in an animal hospital over here which was quite upsetting - mainly for us as they spoilt him as much as they could and he was a happy boy when I collected him, but we have to also think about whether given his health albeit getting better is it fair to bring him with us. Any thoughts on veterinary care in Dubai.

Thanks to everyone who is responding to me it is helping us enormously to understand what it would be like over there.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Lolapops is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

We've taken him to beaches off the coast road and he's had a ball chasing crabs under water!! once he'd worked out they were there!?!

It really is a personal thing. It's not as easy having a dog out here as the UK, in the summer it is hot for them and you can't take them out with you in the car, there aren't as many public places which are dog friendly as in the UK and some people are not so keen on dogs but....

We wouldn't be without our dog and he'd have struggled to adapt to a new fmaily (he's a tad neurotic) so it was the best thing for him to come with us.

We have a paddling pool for him, we made sure that we got a place with a garden (small but still enough for him) and the neighbourhood we live in has lots of ex-pats with dogs and there are lots of communal garden areas so it's actaully very pleasant for him.

We haven't any experience of the vets yet except for through using BVC to have him imported. They were very efficient and if their pet care is anything like their human healthcare it'll be brilliant. I managed to get both my pets insured from day 1 through RSA, so i should have no worries if they become ill.

Hope you make the right decision for you and your dog. Let me know if you need anymore info.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Bodach is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a dog lover, returned to work in the Middle East again and decided to re-home my three border terriers instead of taking them over here to Dubai. I know it was for the best, they would have hated the heat here, it was a hard decision.
We look after friends dogs when they go out on holiday, at the present time we are looking after an old girl of 10 years, she has settled in no problem, loads of others have, dogs are stronger than you think and can re-home easily. You could do what we do and help out with dogs over here, there are enough and more are not needed.

Just check out the web site K9 here and see loads of dogs need re-homing

But final judgement is yours, its a hard one.

Bod.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bodach
I am a dog lover, returned to work in the Middle East again and decided to re-home my three border terriers instead of taking them over here to Dubai. I know it was for the best, they would have hated the heat here, it was a hard decision.
We look after friends dogs when they go out on holiday, at the present time we are looking after an old girl of 10 years, she has settled in no problem, loads of others have, dogs are stronger than you think and can re-home easily. You could do what we do and help out with dogs over here, there are enough and more are not needed.

Just check out the web site K9 here and see loads of dogs need re-homing

But final judgement is yours, its a hard one.

Bod.
Its a nightmare decision!! The reasons for taking him and leaving him both make perfect sense. If we leave him we know he will be well looked after by my in laws and will have the freedom of running around in fields and he does love them both very much, but he is very much one for cuddles and loves to be next to me or with me all the time - I guess thats why they call them velcro dogs

Thanks to everyone for replying - We've some serious thinking to do.