Syriana

Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:12 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Syriana

Just watched this, and for once I can understand the governments decision to hold the release and cut it...doesn't paint a particulary good picture of the Middle East.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:32 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Syriana

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Just watched this, and for once I can understand the governments decision to hold the release and cut it...doesn't paint a particulary good picture of the Middle East.
I can't. Censorship is not justified just becuase something says something you don't agree with.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:47 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

I watched it ... bought pirate DVD in Jordan. But IMHO it was no only pictured how bad the government in ME but also how bad the US government if it comes into oil. They will do anything for it.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:12 am
Mamma said knock you out

Air Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really nice

Originally Posted by novita77
I watched it ... bought pirate DVD in Jordan. But IMHO it was no only pictured how bad the government in ME but also how bad the US government if it comes into oil. They will do anything for it.
The Pb is that we just do not know how far can govts go to protect their interests. We are the naives held in the dark....
I "liked" the part where some says something like : " A safer M/E is bad for business". Maybe it's true, didn't Randolph Bourne (1886-1918)say: "War is the health of the state"?
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I can't. Censorship is not justified just because something says something you don't agree with.
Personally i'm a bit tired of hearing about free speech and we can say what we please, watch what we want - draw anything we like in cartoons. It's utopia but not reality.
Censorship is necessary in many facets of life....i can't go around calling minorities by their racist names....that's censorship. By your argument I could if I wanted.
Personally I don't blame them from censoring it either.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:22 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
i can't go around calling minorities by their racist names....that's censorship. By your argument I could if I wanted.
You are incapable of moral self-censorship then. You need some one to tell you what to do and what to think.

Why you would want to call some one by a term that is likely to upset, anger or humilate them is your choice I guess.

Some of us are a bit more educated and have a bit more free thought and consider ourselves mature enough to handle ideas and concepts that may question our preceived values.

I don't mind what you prefer, but I like to have the opportunity to make my own judgements and exercise my own censorship as I feel is required.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:56 am
Mamma said knock you out

Air Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really nice

You are incapable of moral self-censorship then. You need some one to tell you what to do and what to think.

Why you would want to call some one by a term that is likely to upset, anger or humilate them is your choice I guess.

Some of us are a bit more educated and have a bit more free thought and consider ourselves mature enough to handle ideas and concepts that may question our preceived values.

I don't mind what you prefer, but I like to have the opportunity to make my own judgements and exercise my own censorship as I feel is required.

Not to mention that censoring facts is hiding the truth and insulting somebody
is a lack of education.
We all have dear things to our hearts. How would one feel if some other person insults it?
"Let's say" you love your father and I come along and tell you, without any apparent reason : " You know what? I have a joke: Your father is lousy bastard and he's the scum of mankind"... Pardon my nasty language ladies and gentlemen...
What would your reaction be? "Ok, you have the freedom of speech and I accept it because your need to insult a dear person to me reflects the values of our society" ... ?
I know I wouldn't....

Last edited by Air Polygamy; Mar 28th 2006 at 9:05 am.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:34 am
W10

Regardless of whether it is about moral self-censorship, we live in their country and have to live by their laws.

We may not like it. To us it 'may be wrong', but who are we to preach over what is right and what is wrong? Who made the West the arbiters of morality, decency and judgement.

Seems a bit arrogant to be self-appointed doesn't it?

If they want to censor the film then they can.

Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:55 am