Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Switching Employers....

Switching Employers....

Old Oct 12th 2004, 1:05 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 136
MCA27 will become famous soon enoughMCA27 will become famous soon enough
Default Switching Employers....

I understand that when starting at a company in Dubai, the employer applies for the relevant work permits etc........which mean that you are entitled to work for that employer only.

Is it common, when you wish to move between employers that they throw a spanner in the works and refuse to allow you to move. Are there many instances where people have been a victim of this?

Also in such a situation, what happens? Do you have to leave dubai for 6 months or can you stay, but just not work for another employer for that duration?

(I am not in this sitaution, but it will help me decide when chosing an employer....)

Cheers
Martin
MCA27 is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2004, 3:33 am
  #2  
Simply Brilliant
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: UK/Dubai
Posts: 1,064
Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Switching Employers....

Originally Posted by MCA27
I understand that when starting at a company in Dubai, the employer applies for the relevant work permits etc........which mean that you are entitled to work for that employer only.

Is it common, when you wish to move between employers that they throw a spanner in the works and refuse to allow you to move. Are there many instances where people have been a victim of this?

Also in such a situation, what happens? Do you have to leave dubai for 6 months or can you stay, but just not work for another employer for that duration?

(I am not in this sitaution, but it will help me decide when chosing an employer....)

Cheers
Martin
Hi Martin

Changing employers can be difficult if you are working for someone in the private sector (not including the exempt categories). We were looking to hire a web designer, who was nearing the end of his 3 year contract with another employer, thinking that because he'd completed the terms of his contract, he would then be free to work for us. However, his old employer absolutely refused to let him go(!) and insisted he renew his contract, which he didn't want to. To cut a long story short, his employer managed to get him banned from the UAE for I think 6 months...even though his contract had expired!! We're currently employing him freelance, overseas, until he can re-enter later this month. It's quite a grey really and the laws have a habit of changing quite regularly..

Also, a no objection letter often does not really stand for much, you still risk a ban if you try to leave an employer mid-contract, even if they have no objection to your leaving, though I understand there are now ways around this, if you have worked there at least a year.

This topic is discussed on page 3/4 under a thread posted by Brenster, called Local Law. Also, the Zappy Explorer book is brilliant at explaining a lot of the ins and outs of various govt. depts and their rules and laws. Well worth getting, along with the Dubai Explorer.
Cherrypie is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2004, 3:55 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 136
MCA27 will become famous soon enoughMCA27 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Switching Employers....

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
Hi Martin

Changing employers can be difficult if you are working for someone in the private sector (not including the exempt categories). We were looking to hire a web designer, who was nearing the end of his 3 year contract with another employer, thinking that because he'd completed the terms of his contract, he would then be free to work for us. However, his old employer absolutely refused to let him go(!) and insisted he renew his contract, which he didn't want to. To cut a long story short, his employer managed to get him banned from the UAE for I think 6 months...even though his contract had expired!! We're currently employing him freelance, overseas, until he can re-enter later this month. It's quite a grey really and the laws have a habit of changing quite regularly..

Also, a no objection letter often does not really stand for much, you still risk a ban if you try to leave an employer mid-contract, even if they have no objection to your leaving, though I understand there are now ways around this, if you have worked there at least a year.

This topic is discussed on page 3/4 under a thread posted by Brenster, called Local Law. Also, the Zappy Explorer book is brilliant at explaining a lot of the ins and outs of various govt. depts and their rules and laws. Well worth getting, along with the Dubai Explorer.
many thanks......sounds like a stupid law to me.......
MCA27 is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2004, 4:07 am
  #4  
The 5th Amendment
 
joseph.creative's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Dubai City
Posts: 3,142
joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice
Default Re: Switching Employers....

Originally Posted by MCA27
many thanks......sounds like a stupid law to me.......
we will have a chat about this as well as I have talked to my guys about this as well....
joseph.creative is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2004, 4:22 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 136
MCA27 will become famous soon enoughMCA27 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Switching Employers....

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
we will have a chat about this as well as I have talked to my guys about this as well....
cool.

I understand how it can be applied for low skilled workers from the sub continent......but to apply it to the skilled work force is a bit s$%£
MCA27 is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2004, 4:47 am
  #6  
Beduoin_Boy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Switching Employers....

Originally Posted by MCA27
I understand that when starting at a company in Dubai, the employer applies for the relevant work permits etc........which mean that you are entitled to work for that employer only.

Is it common, when you wish to move between employers that they throw a spanner in the works and refuse to allow you to move. Are there many instances where people have been a victim of this?

Also in such a situation, what happens? Do you have to leave dubai for 6 months or can you stay, but just not work for another employer for that duration?

(I am not in this sitaution, but it will help me decide when chosing an employer....)

Cheers
Martin

A lot depends on your status, eg: are you an engineer, a doctor, or a plumber?

Also it depends on your contract.

Also where will you be based? In Freezone or outside the Freezone.
 
Old Oct 12th 2004, 4:49 am
  #7  
The 5th Amendment
 
joseph.creative's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Dubai City
Posts: 3,142
joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice
Default Re: Switching Employers....

Originally Posted by Beduoin_Boy
A lot depends on your status, eg: are you an engineer, a doctor, or a plumber?

Also it depends on your contract.

Also where will you be based? In Freezone or outside the Freezone.
Be interested to hesr ur POV. I am based out of the freezone's. For an LLC so what would be your comments here....
joseph.creative is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2004, 4:49 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 136
MCA27 will become famous soon enoughMCA27 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Switching Employers....

Originally Posted by Beduoin_Boy
A lot depends on your status, eg: are you an engineer, a doctor, or a plumber?

Also it depends on your contract.

Also where will you be based? In Freezone or outside the Freezone.
don't know yet......just wanted to know the situation before i sign my employment death.
MCA27 is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2004, 4:58 am
  #9  
Beduoin_Boy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Switching Employers....

Originally Posted by MCA27
don't know yet......just wanted to know the situation before i sign my employment death.

You have to be carefull, Bcoz their are stories between sentences.

Your Intial Contract will be for stamping your Visa after you complete and PASS the compulsory medical test and this Contract will be only considered in the Court or in any dispute. The employment offer letter is Void legally.
 
Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:40 am
  #10  
The 5th Amendment
 
joseph.creative's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Dubai City
Posts: 3,142
joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice
Default Re: Switching Employers....

Originally Posted by Beduoin_Boy
You have to be carefull, Bcoz their are stories between sentences.

Your Intial Contract will be for stamping your Visa after you complete and PASS the compulsory medical test and this Contract will be only considered in the Court or in any dispute. The employment offer letter is Void legally.
also i heard the Englsih contratc means shit and only the arabic is considered....

unless u have AIDS or TB then you should be fine with the medical.

Only contracts a re legal as in any country....
joseph.creative is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2004, 5:57 pm
  #11  
Beduoin_Boy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Switching Employers....

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
also i heard the Englsih contratc means shit and only the arabic is considered....

unless u have AIDS or TB then you should be fine with the medical.

Only contracts a re legal as in any country....

In all the government departments the english letters and contracts are not accepted in any given situation.

In this country you always have to know the system, the culture and way of life of the people! as the system in this country is by the people, for the people and of the people! Once you get all of this then you will never face any difficulty but rather you will love everything.


and in many instances the expatriates tend to mix the Tradition with the Religion! - Which are Two different entities.
 
Old Oct 12th 2004, 8:48 pm
  #12  
The 5th Amendment
 
joseph.creative's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Dubai City
Posts: 3,142
joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice
Default Re: Switching Employers....

Originally Posted by Beduoin_Boy
In all the government departments the english letters and contracts are not accepted in any given situation.

In this country you always have to know the system, the culture and way of life of the people! as the system in this country is by the people, for the people and of the people! Once you get all of this then you will never face any difficulty but rather you will love everything.


and in many instances the expatriates tend to mix the Tradition with the Religion! - Which are Two different entities.
more eloquent way of saying the same!
joseph.creative is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:43 am
  #13  
Simply Brilliant
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: UK/Dubai
Posts: 1,064
Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Switching Employers....

Originally Posted by MCA27
many thanks......sounds like a stupid law to me.......
You have to remember, taking on an employee is an expensive business in Dubai. Trying to prevent someone from leaving after the contract has expired is madness but otherwise, I can see the point of this law.

In general, I have found Dubai's employment contracts to be very fair to both employer and employee, though devious behaviour and problems will occur wherever there are humans involved.
Cherrypie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.