British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Swimming Pools: Use of (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/swimming-pools-use-536956/)

busybee2 May 16th 2008 9:41 am

Swimming Pools: Use of

please be aware overheard conversation today at AD Golf club, you are not allowed to just 'turn up and pay' for use of the swim pool etc (as some guy did today) without either joining the health club or coming in as a members guest, because another member there was getting rather uptight at this because WHY pay a LOAD of money for membership of this club when people try to walk in off the street, so to speak, perhaps because they dont have a pool in their compound yet, so DONT try it.

arbroath_abroad May 16th 2008 9:52 am

Re: Swimming Pools: Use of

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 6357643)
please be aware overheard conversation today at AD Golf club, you are not allowed to just 'turn up and pay' for use of the swim pool etc (as some guy did today) without either joining the health club or coming in as a members guest, because another member there was getting rather uptight at this because WHY pay a LOAD of money for membership of this club when people try to walk in off the street, so to speak, perhaps because they dont have a pool in their compound yet, so DONT try it.

Are you advising or telling people not to do it. What difference does it make to you? unless you are the one complaining...:D

Ill go where i wish thanks, and going into a golf club gym/pool area without paying/membership is just plain stupid...

edit...are you sure you cant pay for the day for the pool facilities? I thought all troon golf rules would be the same...
Ps it happens all over...last year i was a member of TMD and the same happened...

busybee2 May 16th 2008 10:06 am

no you cant just turn up, you have to come with a member, always been the rules both with sheraton and troon now. Just advising as may be a wasted journey. I know it happens, but I can see this members point as you pay SHED LOADS of money to be members there and then for somebody to come along say every weekend and not pay the joining fee etc.

arbroath_abroad May 16th 2008 10:37 am

totally agree with the sentiment. how much is a social membership there? i know that the montys fees rose dramatically this year

unless it has changed recently, you could arrive and pay 100AED (approx) for the use of the pool and gym.. I assumed the ADGC would be the same being Troon.

Anyway golf clubs are for boring old people. in short they suck and have a distinct lack of atmosphere.....:D

busybee2 May 16th 2008 11:52 am

well they have demolished most of the green things called the golf course to build the Golf Gardens, which if you have seen them, they cant see any golf or any gardens! and so the atmosphere that was there has gone. They spend 10 years maturing the course, not letting anybody play or become members etc and then a big wig comes along and says Can I please build some houses and bobs your uncle down comes the green stuff.

arbroath_abroad May 16th 2008 11:56 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 6358117)
well they have demolished most of the green things called the golf course to build the Golf Gardens, which if you have seen them, they cant see any golf or any gardens! and so the atmosphere that was there has gone. They spend 10 years maturing the course, not letting anybody play or become members etc and then a big wig comes along and says Can I please build some houses and bobs your uncle down comes the green stuff.

I have seen those..pardon the pun but its par for the course in the middle east...

Ill use the rumoured closing of the EGC in order to develop houses as a casing point...

busybee2 May 16th 2008 12:27 pm

very good! but think it may be double bogey!

raneshi May 16th 2008 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 6358214)
very good! but think it may be double bogey!

DITTO

Blue Cat May 17th 2008 4:42 am

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 6358132)
I have seen those..pardon the pun but its par for the course in the middle east...

Ill use the rumoured closing of the EGC in order to develop houses as a casing point...

apparently it has been announced that EGC is for the chop, however I haven't seen anything in any of the papers. I am no surprised though.

Border Reiver May 17th 2008 11:40 am

Doesn't surprise me either- when it opened it was in the middle of nowhere but now that area is prime real estate. I suppose that is the price of progress.