Summer in Dubai

Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

_jon_ will become famous soon enough_jon_ will become famous soon enough
Default Summer in Dubai

When the kids finish school who stays and who goes?

Can you stay?

Some friends were in Dubai in the 90's and they regale in tales of beach club weekends most of the year but getting out of Dodge for July and August.

Is leaving a must, or are things not THAT bad?

The reason I ask is that the wife will be the worker, she won't want me out the country for weeks with the kids whilst she has to work, she'd miss them too much.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer in Dubai

just don't go outside!

It is bloody hot to be honest. Before I arrived people said it was like being in an oven. Its not that bad. Its like standing next to an oven with the door open and wearing a jumper. Depending how old the kids are they might get bored- or you could ship them off to the grandparents for thr worst of it and you and the missus can have some quality time.

Not everyone buggers off for the whole summer so its obviously doable.

Ramadan is a whole other story however!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:48 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of things to do with the kids in summer - the malls are full of entertaiment like playzones, aquariums, ice rinks, a snowy mountain etc etc. There's plenty to do, albeit a big drain on the finances. Also there are loads of summer camps to send the kids to.

Ramadan can be a strain. Some people like it for the quiet - although the roads can be mental. Personally, by the time July came I was desperate for fresh air and rain. Going out in full summer heat here gave me massive headaches - even just walking across the road.

I was the worker in the family and I was going to save up holiday for the summer and be away for 3 weeks and use the other weeks for Xmas and Easter time.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

The heat is bearable in short doses but your kids will get bored out their minds.

2 months summer holidays is too long to keep them entertained with malls and whatever else is on indoors during the summer.

Summer camps are available but they are very expensive (vary between approx 100 & 200 AED /day / child)
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

There's always cardboard boxes.

Kids love cardboard boxes.

And if you use the silver gaffer tape it takes them a couple of days to break out.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

I think Dubai in the 90's is very different to today(well in 9 months time when you have to worry about the heat)

Everywhere indoors is air-conditioned and I am sure the cars are much better at cooling now.

Give a go and do not worry about it too much
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:20 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Have to admit we don't have children but we've just spent our 7th summer here. The first was really hard to cope with, especially as we were moving into a new villa and had to find our way around Dubai, find furnishing shops etc. But we have to say that each summer gets easier to manage.

Our neighbours who have young children (6 and 8 yrs) do tend to go back to UK, especially during the summer Ramadan weeks. They just organise their holidays accordingly.

We did find, however, this summer that there were many more families around (we're at Arabian Ranches). During the first couple of summers the place was deserted but, especially this last summer - and even during August/Ramadan - there were many more families who had for whatever reason decided to stay.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I love Ramadan - I really don't see what the big deal is all about.

But, as others have said, the first summer is a tough one. Now, for me, life just carries on - we restructure the day a bit but it's no big deal. Swimming in the mornings, long lunch with some games / cooking inside, then late afternoon in the garden / on the bikes.

That said, mini-millhouse does go home for 4-5 weeks of it - just so he can stretch his legs, get some clean air and see the grandparents etc. He is young enough not to be bored of going to the pool everyday - but it must send older kids insane.

All in I like the summers - generally the place is a bit quieter as all the bloody XC90 drivers leave for 9 weeks.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

My 12 year old would happily spend 4 weeks inside playing Battlefield 3, he moans if I try and take him out in the holidays now....

Whats the deal with Ramadam, what goes on or not.
I always thought it was the Muslim Rock and Roll festival, Ramadamadingdong.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _jon_
My 12 year old would happily spend 4 weeks inside playing Battlefield 3, he moans if I try and take him out in the holidays now....

Whats the deal with Ramadam, what goes on or not.
I always thought it was the Muslim Rock and Roll festival, Ramadamadingdong.
No eating or drinking in public between sunrise and sunset. No smoking, chewing gum or playing loud music.
No live music in the bars. Nightclubs closed. No booze until about 8pm at night ( depending on the month)
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
No eating or drinking in public between sunrise and sunset. No smoking, chewing gum or playing loud music.
No live music in the bars. Nightclubs closed. No booze until about 8pm at night ( depending on the month)
You forgot to mention the "no sex" part.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

mentalist thats just what your wife tells you
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:00 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
mentalist thats just what your wife tells you
*high five*
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 5:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Summers are fine, be organised, hit the malls for movies etc, Wild Wadi, we were here all summer and has no issues at all. Swam most mornings, and evenings, had friends over etc, did a few sleep overs for the child. The summer is what you make it.