Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Suitable dress in Abu Dhabi?

Suitable dress in Abu Dhabi?

Old May 27th 2009, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

belle02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suitable dress in Abu Dhabi?

I've read mixed review on what is suitable/ not suitable to wear in ABu Dhabi. Is it suitable for women to wear vest tops etc which do not cover the shoulders?
Old May 28th 2009, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

MrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud of
Default Re: Suitable dress in Abu Dhabi?

Originally Posted by belle02
I've read mixed review on what is suitable/ not suitable to wear in ABu Dhabi. Is it suitable for women to wear vest tops etc which do not cover the shoulders?
well Belle i would say thats debatable. But i do know that i wouldn't go to a mall in Dubs with a strapy top and i would say Abu is stricter. Honestly though it's not that big a deal.

I went to the mall today and the majority don't seem to care. Which i have to say is quite annoying, i'm not sure why.... maybe i'm getting used to this place.
Old May 28th 2009, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

MrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud of

BTW where are you from in Scotland?
Old May 28th 2009, 6:28 am
Just Joined

I'm from South Lanarkshire wee place called Blantyre.
Old May 28th 2009, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

General rule in malls, etc is knees and shoulders covered. Just get a pashmina (sp) or thin cardy and throw it on when leaving car!

I have seen women dressed in little tops and shorts etc get really dirty looks from other women and quite honestly its easier just not to offend.

Also, depending on the mall, you may be asked to cover up.

Also, the air con is usually set to freeze tits off anyway, so you would be cold without a cardy!
Old May 28th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Is it suitable for women to wear vest tops etc which do not cover the shoulders?
Depends on what you mean by suitable. You won't get arrested, but it's not really the done thing. You will see women wearing all kinds of outrageous clothing but it really is not giving the local customs any respect whatsoever.
Old May 28th 2009, 8:34 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from South Lanarkshire wee place called Blantyre.
nice place byraway, i love High Blantyre..
Old May 28th 2009, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by commander
nice place byraway, i love High Blantyre..
Is that sarcasm?
Old May 28th 2009, 10:14 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Is that sarcasm?
Oh Commander will probably want you to call it wit....

Please read Hawkhead's post about acceptable dress code.
Lots of women have an unbelievable disregard for what's
acceptable-annoys me greatly.Only common decency to
observe country's stipulation re dress.
Old May 28th 2009, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

girloftheworld is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Suitable dress in Abu Dhabi?

I say do the decent thing and respect the area you are living/visiting - cover up. As requested in most malls, cover your shoulders - it's not that hard Sometimes more is less, girls. Long sleeve, light weight kaftans are the 'it' fashion thing right now - go with it and enjoy!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

rachel.butlerfly is an unknown quantity at this point

Im really stuck for ideas of what on earth I could wear in abu dhabi. I've no problem respecting the country but Im such a dress girl! I cant wear trousers..i never do...so uncomfortable in them...most of my dresses are just above the knee...and i wear them usually with colourful tights. would it be ok to wear dresses that length if wearing tights or leggings to cover the legs?? Or will i have to get used to maxi dresses instead? A lot of maxi dresses would be strappy up top and not cover the shoulders. Do the shops only sell clothing that is considered suitable or do they sell all kinds of western clothing too?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:37 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachel.butlerfly
Im really stuck for ideas of what on earth I could wear in abu dhabi. I've no problem respecting the country but Im such a dress girl! I cant wear trousers..i never do...so uncomfortable in them...most of my dresses are just above the knee...and i wear them usually with colourful tights. would it be ok to wear dresses that length if wearing tights or leggings to cover the legs?? Or will i have to get used to maxi dresses instead? A lot of maxi dresses would be strappy up top and not cover the shoulders. Do the shops only sell clothing that is considered suitable or do they sell all kinds of western clothing too?
Yes...or no... perhaps maybe.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with tights in 50 degree heat!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

rachel.butlerfly is an unknown quantity at this point

well everyone does keep saying its really cold in air con! and its not 50 degrees all year! i'd wear tights in winter
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:18 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

well everyone does keep saying its really cold in air con! and its not 50 degrees all year! i'd wear tights in winter
No I honestly don't think you would wear tights in winter in UAE....
I'm not sure where you are from but a big attraction to the UAE is their shopping malls.You will find most labels and chainstores herein so it shouldn't be a major challenge
As I said,I'm not sure where you are from, but what I do in terms of suitable attire is take a few of my fav.summer pieces(Florida&UK climes) and have them copied in AD.Usually always on the knee and with at least a cap sleeve.Cheap, quick and well sewn.Result.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.