Suit up!

Old Jul 29th 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suit up!

I'm in need of a good extra suit, and was wondering where the best places are to get them made. I know there are lots of tailors around, but you need to know where the good ones are. (The taxi driver must also be able to find the place, preferably in "old Dubai").

I do not consider Pierre Cardin an option, as it is rubbish. But I am also not looking for another 8000Dhs suit from Brioni/Canali and the likes. I prefer a place where I come in with a picture of an example I like and he finds something suitable. Don't want to find the fabrics myself, just come in, show it to him, he goes to work, do 2 fittings and have a perfectly fitted suit a week later. Price I would be looking at would be an absolute max of 1000dhs for a good quality, good cut and fitting (!) 2 piece suit.

Also another thing, I had a small accident with a pair of trousers involving a toddler and liquid chocolate, now I was wondering if there would be any chance that same tailor would be able to make a matching pair of trousers with the jacket or would that be highly unlikely? (dark brown/grayish pinstripe)

Thanks guys

Last edited by Euc-; Jul 29th 2009 at 11:58 pm. Reason: wrong colour
Old Jul 29th 2009, 11:16 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suit up!

Originally Posted by Euc-
I'm in need of a good extra suit, and was wondering where the best places are to get them made. I know there are lots of tailors around, but you need to know where the good ones are. (The taxi driver must also be able to find the place, preferably in "old Dubai").

I do not consider Pierre Cardin an option, as it is rubbish. But I am also not looking for another 8000Dhs suit from Brioni/Canali and the likes. I prefer a place where I come in with a picture of an example I like and he finds something suitable. Don't want to find the fabrics myself, just come in, show it to him, he goes to work, do 2 fittings and have a perfectly fitted suit a week later. Price I would be looking at would be an absolute max of 1000dhs for a good quality, good cut and fitting (!) 2 piece suit.

Also another thing, I had a small accident with a pair of trousers involving a toddler and liquid chocolate, now I was wondering if there would be any chance that same tailor would be able to make a matching pair of trousers with the jacket or would that be highly unlikely? (light brown/pinstripe)

Thanks guys
That toddler has done you a favour.......bin the jacket.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
That toddler has done you a favour.......bin the jacket.
Just realised I made a mistake, it's actually dark brown/grayish. And it aint getting binned!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:03 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Just realised I made a mistake, it's actually dark brown/grayish. And it aint getting binned!
Okay, bin the toddler THEN visit an opticians.............
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Eva;7796415] Suit up!

There used to be, and I am sure there still are, a number of tailors doing suits in behind the York Hotel! I am sure you know where that is in Bur Dubai.

If you were driving towards the port on Bank St. Cross lights at Mostafawi Carpet junction and turn right at next set of lights, where an old petrol station was, and perhaps still is, and then 1st right again and there you are!!

Can't remember just what that area is called!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 5:38 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Also another thing, I had a small accident with a pair of trousers involving a toddler and liquid chocolate, now I was wondering if there would be any chance that same tailor would be able to make a matching pair of trousers with the jacket or would that be highly unlikely? (dark brown/grayish pinstripe)

Thanks guys
there is a men's tailors in Satwa called Whistle and Flute, has a good reputation. At a budget of 1000 dhs I would try Marks and Spencers.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:00 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys
You'll be lucky to get a well fitting suit for AED1000 anywhere except maybe Thailand or Hong Kong...if you want something made I can recommend Katchins in Bur Dubai (most taxi drivers know it...right in the middle of the souk off Fahidhi Street) but I think you'll be paying at least double that (more if you choose expensive fabrics - but they can make according to pictures you bring in) as that would be a bespoke option. I am not sure why you would not want to choose fabrics and have a preconcieved idea that everything must be done in two fittings (two is average but always allow for three just in case).

Am sure they could help with the toddler too.

Another option is buy something nice off the rack and then get it "tweaked" to fit you perfectly by a tailor.

N.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all
Default Brown whistles

Thanks guys

I was in Balman the other day and tried on a dk brwn / greyish whistle and to tell the truth, I couldnt do it
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:21 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brown whistles

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy
I was in Balman the other day and tried on a dk brwn / greyish whistle and to tell the truth, I couldnt do it
it was probably the wrong colour for you! getting the right colour suit makes all the difference.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:30 am