Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on Dubai?

Suggestions on Dubai?

Old May 14th 2005, 11:25 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suggestions on Dubai?

I have a client (I'm a US travel agent) whose husband is currently serving in Iraq. For the Christmas holiday she wants to meet him in either Thailand or Dubai. Thailand I have plenty of stuff on but Dubai is not normally a big tourist draw for the average USC. Any suggestions from you folks?
Thanks in advance.
Old May 14th 2005, 11:37 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Suggestions on Dubai?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I have a client (I'm a US travel agent) whose husband is currently serving in Iraq. For the Christmas holiday she wants to meet him in either Thailand or Dubai. Thailand I have plenty of stuff on but Dubai is not normally a big tourist draw for the average USC. Any suggestions from you folks?
Thanks in advance.
Emirates has direct flights into DXB from JFK...... might be worth looking into that.

As for making it seem attractive to the average USC, try looking at some of the weblinks in the FAQ threads on dubai or you may even want to look at:
www.dubai.ae

What sort of suggestions are u looking for anyway?
Old May 14th 2005, 12:20 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
Emirates has direct flights into DXB from JFK...... might be worth looking into that.

As for making it seem attractive to the average USC, try looking at some of the weblinks in the FAQ threads on dubai or you may even want to look at:
www.dubai.ae

What sort of suggestions are u looking for anyway?

Well, a nice but not outrageous place to stay for starters. This would be a second honeymoon type of excursion, . Good places to go for dining etc.
Old May 14th 2005, 12:34 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, a nice but not outrageous place to stay for starters. This would be a second honeymoon type of excursion, . Good places to go for dining etc.
Cindy, i would think depend what she likes to do for her xmas hols? If she like beaches type of thing, Dubai's beach farrrrr away behind Thailand.

Dubai is nice place ... but i still prefer thailand for my honeymoon.
Old May 14th 2005, 12:58 pm
W10

Most of the hotels along the coast are five star and reasonably priced. Just steer clear of the Mirage as it is next door to a huge building project.

Loads of posh restaurants. Everywhere you look in fact. Very few of them are actually that nice though.

Old May 14th 2005, 4:41 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

for that sort of thing u could look at:

www.dubaicityguide.com
Old May 15th 2005, 11:46 am
Sursum corda

Thank you one and all for your insight and tips! I figured since you live there you were the best folks to ask.
I went to that website Face and checked out the hotels and all. Lots of info.
My personal choice would be go to Thailand for a more tropical atmosphere, but of course the customer is always right, so we shall see. In any event you've helped me give her a more balanced picture.
Thanks again
Old May 15th 2005, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Thank you one and all for your insight and tips! I figured since you live there you were the best folks to ask.
My personal choice would be go to Thailand for a more tropical atmosphere, but of course the customer is always right, so we shall see. In any event you've helped me give her a more balanced picture.
Thanks again
Does the husband have a say in it all? Maybe he doesn't fancy spending his prescious holiday in the Middle East and could do with a scenery and climate change!
Old May 15th 2005, 11:54 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
Does the husband have a say in it all? Maybe he doesn't fancy spending his prescious holiday in the Middle East and could do with a scenery and climate change!

I agree wholeheartedly!! Just had another couple (he was in Iraq also but as a contractor, not military) that went off to the Dominican Republic for a week at a resort there. He wanted tropical and she speaks Spanish and the DR is a cheap place to go in the Caribbean-so good fit. However, as I said the customer is always right, so we'll see what or who wins out on this one.
Old May 15th 2005, 12:52 pm
The Oracle

Thanks again
No worries Cindy Abs.....

That was the best website I could think of that would help give u some feedback on what Dubai is like. If u have any more q's, feel free to ask us and we will do our best to help u out.
Old May 16th 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Thanks in advance.
It might be nice for the husband to actually get away from the Middle East for a change?
Old May 16th 2005, 5:47 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Majj
It might be nice for the husband to actually get away from the Middle East for a change?

Indeed, you're preaching to the choir on this one,.