Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Stupid Friggin' Landlords

Stupid Friggin' Landlords

Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:49 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stupid Friggin' Landlords

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

Ok, that's better.

Our landlord has given us notice saying he is selling his property at the end of our tenancy (end Sept). As far as I am concerned he can come and lift me out of the place. I am fed up of landlords taking us for a ride.

He told me via email a few days ago and then said in the next breath that he has a serious buyer that wanted to view it on Friday. Quick work!

Later that day his 'serious buyer' (same nationality, what a coincidence) called me on my mobile to firm up an appointment for tomorrow. I sent an email to the landlord and advised him not to give out my number to strange men (unless of course they are well fit!!) - cheeky beggar. He lives in Cape Town and thinks he can use me to act as his agent.

So where do we stand with respect to how much notice he should give us? I have friends in the same boat and they have been told that just because the landlord has the intention of selling it, it does not mean that he can kick them out. I know the rent committee has been really good with such cases of late. I am sure he is well aware that as we incepted the tenancy in 2006 that he cannot increase the rent and therefore just wants us to move out.

Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:18 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Friggin' Landlords

http://www.expatwoman.com/vbulletin/...threadid=28824

personally I wouldn't like to get into a situation with a landlord where he wanted us out, but on the same count why should they push us around as well. He has to give 1 years notice, from the end of your contract I think. Our resident expert on here is Shiva I think, PM him. Sorry to hear this as I love your place and was planning on spending a long weekend with you when the mouse goes home!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:23 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
http://www.expatwoman.com/vbulletin/...threadid=28824

personally I wouldn't like to get into a situation with a landlord where he wanted us out, but on the same count why should they push us around as well. He has to give 1 years notice, from the end of your contract I think. Our resident expert on here is Shiva I think, PM him. Sorry to hear this as I love your place and was planning on spending a long weekend with you when the mouse goes home!
Thanks for this. Will look at the link shortly. I had heard that he has to give a years notice but thought that seemed excessive.

Same thing happened to me last year so I am very annoyed!

When does the mouse go home?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:31 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Thanks for this. Will look at the link shortly. I had heard that he has to give a years notice but thought that seemed excessive.

Same thing happened to me last year so I am very annoyed!

When does the mouse go home?
he hibernates in August
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:34 pm
Pog mo thoin

he hibernates in August
That's alright ... I'll still be here in August!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:35 pm
Concierge

That's alright ... I'll still be here in August!
will you be able to get a pool put in by then????
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:41 pm
Pog mo thoin

will you be able to get a pool put in by then????
Ha, ha .. of course, and I'll take it off next years rent!!!!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:25 pm
Pog mo thoin

Just looked through the link BC and that is a very interesting post by Jane. Never heard of that.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked through the link BC and that is a very interesting post by Jane. Never heard of that.
Would be interested to know if anyone finds out more about this. I live in a apartment in Bur Dubai and have been given notice that they want to turn it into hotel apartments so have to leave at the end of my contract next march.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:52 am
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Would be interested to know if anyone finds out more about this. I live in a apartment in Bur Dubai and have been given notice that they want to turn it into hotel apartments so have to leave at the end of my contract next march.
I did see something on EW about someone in the same situation and just because the landlord wants to demolish the building does not mean that he can kick you out. If you follow that link BC put up you will get the detials of the rent committee. Also do a search on the rent committee and you will find lots of info and various cases.

Good luck.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:54 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
he has to give you a years notice, if not take him to the rent committee, there is a huge section on our property apocolypse thing about this where diablo and Shiva are getting a bit fisty but it is excellent information
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to the rent committee you will win. If you have only had the tenancy for 12 months they will give you up to 2 years extension. What will probably happen is they will say "How much longer do you want?" I would say you are very happy in the property but have not been there very long and would like to stay for another 3 years. You will probably get 2. It might also be worth saying you have no objection to the sale of the property provided you are allowed to stay on as a tenant at the same rent. After all, you don't really care who your landlord is, do you?

And finally, I suggest you bring a case before the rent committee before he does as whoever actually brings the case is in a stronger position, it appears.

Let us know how you get on.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:05 am
Concierge

I agree with BR - get a case registered ASAP. I personally wouldn't like to be in a conflict situation with a landlord but if you get the result you want then so be it. Twinkle's place is empty soon though
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:06 am
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
If you go to the rent committee you will win. If you have only had the tenancy for 12 months they will give you up to 2 years extension. What will probably happen is they will say "How much longer do you want?" I would say you are very happy in the property but have not been there very long and would like to stay for another 3 years. You will probably get 2. It might also be worth saying you have no objection to the sale of the property provided you are allowed to stay on as a tenant at the same rent. After all, you don't really care who your landlord is, do you?

And finally, I suggest you bring a case before the rent committee before he does as whoever actually brings the case is in a stronger position, it appears.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for that. Should I advise me landlord first of my intention to contact the rent committee? It seems some people do and sometimes that is enough to scare the landlord.

I have someone coming to view it this evening and I will give him a good grilling. The landlord inferred that the guy was here for a flying visit but the person told me they live in the Greens and are looking for something bigger. DH will just drop in that we will look to him for a new contract should he purchase it! We will see if we can trip him up cos I am pretty sure it is just a friend of the landlords.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:08 am
Pog mo thoin

I agree with BR - get a case registered ASAP. I personally wouldn't like to be in a conflict situation with a landlord but if you get the result you want then so be it. Twinkle's place is empty soon though
I am not relishing the prospect but not scared of some landlord. I will happily fight my case.

Twinkle's place will be put on the market at a much higher rate though. The property I am in has gone up 50,000 in the last year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.