Stung By Salik

Old Jun 11th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stung By Salik

Originally Posted by Squabble

"Toll evasion should not draw a greater penalty than risking a child's life."

I can't believe anyone can possibly disagree with this.
Of course the authorities will enforce the law on matters where it takes less effort. And it takes minimal effort to catch people who willingly and obviously flout the law, know they are flouting it, and are counting on being able to afford the penalty.

About the 'greater penalty' thng, yes it's all rather arbitrary, especially w.r.t. road deaths due to careless/reckless driving being, if not ignored, then taken somewhat lightly.

Even with corporate crime such as duty of care over employees, illegal withholding of papers from workers etc, the law is just not enforced. It doesn't usually affect those who can make a difference, so it is ignored.

OTOH, there is also the element of personal responsibility (or parental responsibility in your example of kids in cars). I can well imagine some people being up in arms if the boys in green stopped cars for the driver not looking after his kids properly - "nanny state" they'd all cry!

Of course it's a tragedy should the worst happen - but we have a duty of care to ourselves and those around us that cannot be enforced from outside - witness the mixed reactions w.r.t. Madeline McCann in the early days.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Squabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really nice

When children are concerned it must be enforced from outside in the cases where carers are obviously negligent.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

When children are concerned it must be enforced from outside in the cases where carers are obviously negligent.
that's murky territory. I'm sure the case isn't far off where some American teenager will sue his parents for not getting him the latest PS game citing negligence.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:45 am
W10

Rowell, accepted, and it's an acurate anaology, my issue all along is the disparity between the fine for this offence and the fines, and diligence in enforcing them, for offences that risk lives.

Having 2 young children, I have a particular gripe over the amount of times I see small children unrestrained in the front seat of cars, I saw this again this morning. To get some parity, this surely should rank a car impoundable, license revoking offence, not to mention a huge monetary fine.

I was stupid, I said that first post, no argument there. What my argument in a nutshell is:

"Toll evasion should not draw a greater penalty than risking a child's life."

I can't believe anyone can possibly disagree with this.
Of course we agree, but its like comparing apples and oranges.

You were CAUGHT 25 times. If someone was CAUGHT by the police 25 times for the offence you mentioned they'd be in a hell of a lot more trouble. They'd have no licence for a start

Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:46 am
W10

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Yes but how do they find you unless they pull you there and then, most people only have a PO box as an address and the residential address used to open one has most probably changed??
When you register your car you are supposed to give you actual address

Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Squabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really niceSquabble is just really nice

Sure, it has the potential to be, especially in litigation happy countries.

But in clear cut cases, there should be intervention.

Basic rights of an individual should be negated in the cases where a child's wellbeing in is obvious jeopardy.

Such as in Australia, there is the reverse onus of proof in cases of child abuse. That is, when a carer is accused of child abuse they must prove their innocence, not the prosecution prove guilt. This is a case where a basic right is negated to preserve the safety of a child, should be enforced more often.

If someone cries "nanny state", tough, as long as the child who can't decide for themselves is safe.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

W10, that relates to when I mentioned "diligence to enforce", this is just not apparent by the number of people that do it.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

And I don't think it's an inequitable comparison

Offence = Effort to enforce + Fine

That is, the greater the offence, not only should the fine increase, but also the effort to enforce it.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - I think we finally have a poster that might beat Eeyore in a relentless tenacity competition....
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, then why make it optional, increase rego by 100 and hand 'em out.
because I live in Abu Dhabi and don't want to go to Dubai or anywhere Salik?
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:28 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never heard so much whining and excuses from somebody who is quite clearly in the wrong due to sheer laziness and ignorance. Why compare your crime to any another? You got caught, so just pay up, don't do it again and quit moaning. Sorry, had to be said
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Never said I wasn't wrong, and I think an argument and whining are different, arguments can be constructive. But yours is typical of the frivolous acceptance of the carnage on Dubai’s roads and the lack disquiet that would prompt any action to rectify it.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:50 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Never said I wasn't wrong, and I think an argument and whining are different, arguments can be constructive. But yours is typical of the frivolous acceptance of the carnage on Dubai’s roads and the lack disquiet that would prompt any action to rectify it.
Lol you're calling me frivolous when you were quite happy to flout the Salik thinking it was going to be a small fine for being a naughty boy which ended up being 10,000 AED! Who's frivolous now?

The debate is not about the accident rate and risk level on Dubai's roads, it's about your complete stupidity and laziness to actually find out what the cost of your "urge to steal" would be. Your argument is rediculous, as is your ability to do a some research before committing a crime clearly.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

What's stupid is not being able to distinguish between what costs money and what costs lives.

You just don't get it.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

What's stupid is not being able to distinguish between what costs money and what costs lives.

You just don't get it.
oh FFS would you be so het up about the plight of unrestrained kids in 4x4s had it not been for your mega fine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.