British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Stung By Salik (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/stung-salik-542042/)

jvr20 Jun 10th 2008 6:36 am

Re: Stung By Salik

I :curse:ing love this thread! :rofl::p:):eek::thumbup::thumbsup::cool:

Emerald_Eyes Jun 10th 2008 6:43 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6452170)
oh my how funny is all this...remind me never to ask for sympathy on here, ever...

:rofl: I have no sympathy for pure stupidity I'm afraid.

Squabble Jun 10th 2008 9:17 am

Doesn’t anyone else find it incongruous that driving without a tag will net me a 10 grand fine but driving 60kph over the speed limit is 1000?

Or the fact that children can stand between the front seats of cars while driving WITHOUT penalty plus the mobile phone use, erratic lane changes, speeding, unbelievably close tail-gaiting and the whole list of life threatening offences that occur in on Dubai roads and go unpunished.

So the message is “Go ahead and kill yourself and some poor innocent, just don’t try and drive on the road for free.”

I am I the only who thinks this is nut bag crazy????????

I’m not after sympathy, just an idiot trying to gain some wisdom from the wise. Seems I’ll just have to go back to the idiots forum, come on Lionheart, lets go.

admon Jun 10th 2008 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Squabble (Post 6452541)
Doesn’t anyone else find it incongruous that driving without a tag will net me a 10 grand fine but driving 60kph over the speed limit is 1000?
You have been through the gate over 25 times.. drive 60kph over the limit 25 times and the bill will be a big one..

Or the fact that children can stand between the front seats of cars while driving WITHOUT penalty plus the mobile phone use, erratic lane changes, speeding, unbelievably close tail-gaiting and the whole list of life threatening offences that occur in on Dubai roads and go unpunished.
In the eyes of the law, all that stuff is illegal and can be punsihed

So the message is “Go ahead and kill yourself and some poor innocent, just don’t try and drive on the road for free.”
Drive in the Uk without car tax - you risk having your car being impounded or crushed

I am I the only who thinks this is nut bag crazy????????

I’m not after sympathy, just an idiot trying to gain some wisdom from the wise. Seems I’ll just have to go back to the idiots forum, come on Lionheart, lets go.

Yes there are some crazy things here that are fairly unbalanced, but none of those mitigate what you have been fined for.

Dubai is slowly catching up, but things take time..

Squabble Jun 10th 2008 9:45 am

"Can be punished".....obviously not enough.

Wouldn't mind so much if I knew my fine was going toward making the roads safer to drive on.

It must be my convict heritage, being from Australia the urge to steal was just too strong.

Eeyore Jun 10th 2008 10:37 am

No, that's textbook Dubai logic. But then I've been here three years.

I’m not after sympathy, just an idiot trying to gain some wisdom from the wise
Don't drive repeatedly under toll gates without a Salik account. That wise enough? ;)

It's one hell of a fine to pay alright, so I feel for you in that respect.

Squabble Jun 10th 2008 11:00 am

Where can I get this text book? There's a lot of stuff here that makes no sense, must be in this book.

That's very wise advice, just 5 weeks too late :(

MataHari Jun 10th 2008 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Squabble (Post 6452784)
Where can I get this text book? There's a lot of stuff here that makes no sense, must be in this book.

what exactly is it that you are after...people telling you that it's not your fault...people offering to pay the fine...
I just don't see what your point it...you did something wrong and you got a fine for it...and yeah, it's a hefty fine and 'they' should be looking at more urgent things perhaps...
but at the end of the day you did wrong by using a facility without paying for it...surely you don't need a textbook to explain that basic principle?

Saj786 Jun 10th 2008 11:52 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6452897)
what exactly is it that you are after...people telling you that it's not your fault...people offering to pay the fine...
I just don't see what your point it...you did something wrong and you got a fine for it...and yeah, it's a hefty fine and 'they' should be looking at more urgent things perhaps...
but at the end of the day you did wrong by using a facility without paying for it...surely you don't need a textbook to explain that basic principle?

MataHari, you have hit the nail on it's head. That's exactly my thoughts

madferrit Jun 10th 2008 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Squabble (Post 6452784)

For a small sum of 5000Dhm I will gladly send you my copy of Dubai Explorer. It might not answer all the questions you are after, but it'll give you the in's and out's of how to live in Dubai. :thumbsup:

Fairydust Jun 10th 2008 2:51 pm

Seems I’ll just have to go back to the idiots forum, come on Lionheart, lets go.

Too funny that tickled my sense of humour :D

Squabble Jun 10th 2008 3:16 pm

What the :curse:?????

Where have I asked for this?????

Call me a crack pot, but I just think detering people from having a 5 year old child catapoulting through the windscreen in an accident is more important than inforcing tolls.

MataHari Jun 10th 2008 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Squabble (Post 6453184)

Call me a crack pot, but I just think detering people from having a 5 year old child catapoulting through the windscreen in an accident is more important than inforcing tolls.

you're getting boring now...and repetitive

shakh your bootie Jun 10th 2008 3:24 pm

Call me a crack pot.......

If you insist.....

Sir, you are a crackpot.

ScotsExpat Jun 10th 2008 3:47 pm

Just as well there is not a big burglary problem in Dubai, else you'd be saying that the police should be spending their time solving those, instead of hassling poor parents who are only in a rush to get home.......