Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Student daughter in UK - does UAE income count?

Student daughter in UK - does UAE income count?

Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student daughter in UK - does UAE income count?

Originally Posted by 67ian
Thanks all for your replies, but still no wiser! There is no risk that she will be categorised as an overseas as she has never lived in the ME, she lives in the UK with my wife. I'm going back to UK next week and will go through the online application with her and see what guidance it provides. If my income can legally and legitimately not be counted then she should be able to get a grant for living expenses. Yes I can afford to support her, but if that's the way the system works......as a middle income family in the UK until last year when I came to the ME we have been increasingly hammered by the tax man year on year, so maybe time for something back.....
I might be missing something here, but - are you saying that even though your money goes back to the UK and supports your family, you want to pretend it doesn't, and let the State support her instead?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And then pontificate about benefit scroungers ?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It reminds me of the 'Auf Wiedersehen Pet' episode where Jimmy Nail takes another wife and sees no problem as he's 'not married in Germany'.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Savvydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi 67ian,
I am very interested to know the outcome of your question.
Did your income count when you filled the online application form?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
So you want a grant for her living expenses even though you're getting a tax-free income yourself? Nice one.
Exactly what I was thinking.

yet the new rules for claiming JSA are..if your caught claiming falsely you are jailed.

Must be different rules for middle class overseas workers who's daughters want to go to Uni, yet dont want to pay.

So by obtaining a grant, the none tax payer is asking the tax payer to fund his Daughters education.

Get your off shore account cracked into and pay for your daughter to attend Uni.

When we came home to the UK my son attended college, we could have lied and said we had been home more than 3 years but we didn't, we paid the £2,000 course fees.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arcadia
Exactly what I was thinking.

yet the new rules for claiming JSA are..if your caught claiming falsely you are jailed.

Must be different rules for middle class overseas workers who's daughters want to go to Uni, yet dont want to pay.

So by obtaining a grant, the none tax payer is asking the tax payer to fund his Daughters education.

Get your off shore account cracked into and pay for your daughter to attend Uni.

When we came home to the UK my son attended college, we could have lied and said we had been home more than 3 years but we didn't, we paid the £2,000 course fees.
They should crack down on all cheats equally.

OP seems to feel aggrieved that he has to use any of his income to pay his mortgage and living expenses for family
Old Sep 17th 2013, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Reasons To Love This Forum - No. 437: An argument/discussion can peter out in March and be resumed again in September without any interruption to the flow of the posts, and without anyone thinking it unusual..........
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Savvydog is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, Arcadia, you obviously haven't got the real gist of the question. What you paid was peanuts and if you had to pay 24,000, you would have thought differently. It gets me how the ones on this forum who have a 'reputation beyond repute' are the ones that rant on presuming that expats are cheaters. If you have no good advice get off the site - especially if you are not an expat anymore!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Savvydog
OK, Arcadia, you obviously haven't got the real gist of the question. What you paid was peanuts and if you had to pay 24,000, you would have thought differently. It gets me how the ones on this forum who have a 'reputation beyond repute' are the ones that rant on presuming that expats are cheaters. If you have no good advice get off the site - especially if you are not an expat anymore!
I think you missed the gist of the answer matey, how can you expect to be earning your tax free salary abroad, but then still expect to get the benefit of a grant in the UK for your daughter?

I hope you try it and get caught!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really?

Prior to us moving to Abu Dhabi in 1999, my Husband did a 4 year stint for ARAMCO.

During this time I stayed at home in the UK and worked my part time job whilst the littlest of our children was at school, we chose not to take him from the UK because at the time he was allergic to everything inc water, and was severely asthmatic and also had a nut allergy.

During this time we had 3 older children in quick succession attend Uni, for the first year they stayed in the halls of residence, then they all took weekend jobs, Daughter worked in a petrol station at Durham, son worked in a bar at Liverpool, other son worked in a McColls corner shop.

We could have easily told the Uni that I was a single mam who worked part time but we didnt, they were our kids, he was on £60.000 a year tax free..so we paid!!

Now, Im all for the "each to their own" attitude, and Im not really bothered what you decide to do, just dont post a question and then not expect an answer that you dont want to hear.

As for not being an expat anymore..I work for someone who lives in AD, I am on the phone to this person daily, and will be visiting four times a year for work.

I like to stay in touch with BE because the people on here tell it how it is and dont sprinkle fairy dust on everything, my answer to the original question was given as a UK tax payer, not as an expat.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

she still has ties with ad, as she is working for a family here and has knowledge that can be useful to some people of course, i say, take what information is relevant to you and ignore the rest.....
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There is no reason for someone to leave the site just because they appear not to be an expat anymore. Everyone is welcome on BE as long as they stay within the rules, expat or not. Maybe when you have been around the site a little longer you will realise that

'reputation beyond repute' is a tag-line set by the site and is naturally not a comment based on anyone's real-life status or reputation. BE does not make judgements like that and equally we do not expect our posters to judge other contributors.
Please stick to commenting on the subject matter and don't get personal.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:49 am
Just Joined

as0056 will become famous soon enoughas0056 will become famous soon enough

With family in the UK and most earnings being sent back, are HMRC really going to consider your UAE income as tax free.....?

I'm not an expert on this by any means but I'd have thought that under the existing rules that would be an unlikely approach for them to take, and that the new rules would make that even less likely
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by as0056
With family in the UK and most earnings being sent back, are HMRC really going to consider your UAE income as tax free.....?

I'm not an expert on this by any means but I'd have thought that under the existing rules that would be an unlikely approach for them to take, and that the new rules would make that even less likely
In fact, that is quite common, and the taxman fully accepts it. He knows I'm here and Deanetta (UK resident for tax purposes, but not in employment) does not pay tax on money I send home for her to live on.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
In fact, that is quite common, and the taxman fully accepts it. He knows I'm here and Deanetta (UK resident for tax purposes, but not in employment) does not pay tax on money I send home for her to live on.
Likewise (although, obviously, not sending it to Deanetta--she said its ok), but I totted up how much of what is spent in the UK of my income-tax-free salary is tax, and its frigging huge. Council tax, VAT, fuel duty, insurance tax and so on. Make me realise that if I was paying income tax as well, the amount of what I would spend that wasn't actually tax would be tiny.