Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Student daughter in UK - does UAE income count?

Student daughter in UK - does UAE income count?

Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

67ian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student daughter in UK - does UAE income count?

Hi,

I'm working unaccompanied in the UK for 2 to 3 years to escape the dismal economy in the UK and get some tax free earnings. My wife and daughter are still at home in the UK. My daughter starts at University in September and is just starting to look at student finance. I was wondering if my income out here is to be included in the household income calculation for assessment of grants and loans or whether it can legally be excluded? I keep very little money out here, just enough to cover my living expenses, I have an offshore savings plan in which I put in about 10% of my income, the rest goes back to the UK to cover mortgagage and other UK living expenses.

Has anyone got any advice or has already looked at this?

Thanks!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student daughter in UK - does UAE income count?

Grants ? A thing of the past - on both sides of the border ! Loans there are but I do not think parental income is a factor. Residence of student may be.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Grants ? A thing of the past - on both sides of the border ! Loans there are but I do not think parental income is a factor. Residence of student may be.
If you're a low-income family I believe you can still get grants. They would have to pretend the mum was a single parent I suppose.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahah - I should have laerned by now not to believe all that Bolshevik propaganda in the "Guardian".

Here you are -

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Senpaiman is an unknown quantity at this point

what you earn in the UK is certainly taken onto account in what your kids get in loans and tuition fee support - it is pro rata's from loads of support if you earn the average wage to as I reall nothing once I hit earning above £60k so I think it's a valid question and one I am interested to know myself, as my second kid isd off to Uni while I will hopefully be in the ME. As I see it if your not paying tax in the UK you are not earning in the UK so your earnings are excluded from household income on the forms - can't recall if the last time I filled them in for my daughter who is about to finish Uni if it asked for off shore of outside of UK earnings thou so an actual answer would be nice
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 67ian
Hi,

I'm working unaccompanied in the UK for 2 to 3 years to escape the dismal economy in the UK and get some tax free earnings. My wife and daughter are still at home in the UK. My daughter starts at University in September and is just starting to look at student finance. I was wondering if my income out here is to be included in the household income calculation for assessment of grants and loans or whether it can legally be excluded? I keep very little money out here, just enough to cover my living expenses, I have an offshore savings plan in which I put in about 10% of my income, the rest goes back to the UK to cover mortgagage and other UK living expenses.

Has anyone got any advice or has already looked at this?

Thanks!
Be very careful - if she gets assessed as an overseas student (because of where you are) the fees are much more expensive........
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

From a financial point of view the student is better off by claiming that they are on their own and get no financial support whatsoever from their parents. By doing this and persisting the student will get all their tuition fees paid for and the maximum loan. I am not advocating that she should do this but just saying how the system works.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

If she get classed as an international student then do yourself a favour and ask someone who knows their stuff about how this removes you from necessitating the UCAS procedure and allows you to apply direct to universities outside of the numbers allocation system (Although costing you more) But the payback is worth it (if your kid shares the wealth in future of course)
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

OP Looks like SPAM to me! - And that which follows!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

I'm working unaccompanied in the UK for 2 to 3 years to escape the dismal economy in the UK and get some tax free earnings...
Does that even make sense? Why doesn't the OP use the Edit facility or does he not check his own posts?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Be very careful - if she gets assessed as an overseas student (because of where you are) the fees are much more expensive........
The tuition fees aren't that much more expensive.....but you are far more limited in your student loan funding options, for cheapo loans and grants at least.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

instead of tying a breezeblock round her neck and asking her to tread water for the rest of her life (aka student loan), why don't you just loan/give her the money?
Old Mar 25th 2013, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for your replies, but still no wiser! There is no risk that she will be categorised as an overseas as she has never lived in the ME, she lives in the UK with my wife. I'm going back to UK next week and will go through the online application with her and see what guidance it provides. If my income can legally and legitimately not be counted then she should be able to get a grant for living expenses. Yes I can afford to support her, but if that's the way the system works......as a middle income family in the UK until last year when I came to the ME we have been increasingly hammered by the tax man year on year, so maybe time for something back.....
Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

OK mentalist well spotted, I meant UAE not UK in the first occurrence of my post!
Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your replies, but still no wiser! There is no risk that she will be categorised as an overseas as she has never lived in the ME, she lives in the UK with my wife. I'm going back to UK next week and will go through the online application with her and see what guidance it provides. If my income can legally and legitimately not be counted then she should be able to get a grant for living expenses. Yes I can afford to support her, but if that's the way the system works......as a middle income family in the UK until last year when I came to the ME we have been increasingly hammered by the tax man year on year, so maybe time for something back.....
So you want a grant for her living expenses even though you're getting a tax-free income yourself? Nice one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.