British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Stuck in no mans land (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/stuck-no-mans-land-932238/)

SandyMcSand Apr 16th 2020 1:02 pm

Stuck in no mans land

Long story short.

Left my old job early April to start a new job. Start date kept being pushed back and now it’s been pushed back post-Eid and not confident that it will materialise.

The visa has been cancelled and now in the grace period which expires end of April. Do I have any recourse against the new company? Visa/health insurance etc?

fml. Tried going back to the old job but got flatly told to keep walking.

Hold out for the job or head back to the UK?

carcajou Apr 16th 2020 1:11 pm

Re: Stuck in no mans land

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand (Post 12839464)
Long story short.

Left my old job early April to start a new job. Start date kept being pushed back and now it’s been pushed back post-Eid and not confident that it will materialise.

The visa has been cancelled and now in the grace period which expires end of April. Do I have any recourse against the new company? Visa/health insurance etc?

The new company can organise your visa, before the job starts and they start paying you. This usually happens for everyone who is overseas, you enter with your visa already. So I would tell them to do that - since they are so confident the job will happen, just not until after Eid, they can organise your visa now so you don't become unlawful and don't take an unnecessary trip back to the UK. Because you're such a hot property if you go back to the UK that someone might make you a firm offer there, and you don't want to be put in that position where you are weighing a firm offer with immediate start there vs an uncertain offer that keeps getting pushed back in the UAE, when you so badly want to work for new company in the UAE.

If they dither, um and ah and come up with every imaginable excuse why they can't, I would head back to the UK.

I wouldn't risk doing anything that might make you unlawful.

What is your accommodation situation? Do you have to be out by the end of the grace period?

No, no possible recourse against the company.

I do know sometimes people get 90 days grace period instead of 30, but I am not sure the procedure, the how, or the why behind that.

Good luck.

Millhouse Apr 16th 2020 1:13 pm

Won’t you qualify for the free visa until December?

carcajou Apr 16th 2020 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12839474)
Won’t you qualify for the free visa until December?

If there are no visa ramifications, I would encourage OP to stick it out the 5-6 weeks until Eid and then see what happens - while simultaneously making plans to leave. I would execute those plans and leave if Eid comes and they push it back again.

Unfortunately the situation OP describes is not new to the Middle East and is not something that just popped up because of the current world climate. My organisation had numerous examples of this happening - people leaving for greener pastures, and then once they quit - getting their offers pulled by the new company, or realising the new company was hell in an office building after a week or two, and then trying to come back to us for their old jobs. If they had left for another organisation in the Middle East - they were universally told to scram if they came crawling back. They really hated it if people left for other Middle Eastern employment. But if they went back to their home countries instead, however, and then wanted to come back - the organisation was much more forgiving and we did have numerous ping-pong hires in that context.

welshmum Apr 16th 2020 3:34 pm

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Hopeless trying to link but just read an update on Gulf News which might allay initial concerns re visa. It is under Covid 19 Job losses. Hope things work out for you.

csdf Apr 17th 2020 5:37 am

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand (Post 12839464)
Long story short.

You can check the status of your visa here:
smartservices.ica.gov.ae
Public Services (at the top)->File Validity (at the bottom)
For instance, my maid's visa which expires next month has been extended to the end of the year.

mrkjd Apr 17th 2020 1:28 pm

If you don't have a work visa then presumably you don't have a Residency Card yet. That means you may not be covered for Medical Care if you were to need it as the first thing a Doctor / Dentist ask for is your residency card. Something to consider if you decide to hang around.

SandyMcSand Apr 17th 2020 4:45 pm

Hi Folks

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

Some goodish news. After much nagging the New employer has issued a work permit and basic health insurance.

So I’m planning on sticking around and keeping my fingers crossed. If not, I’ll head back to blighty.

All the best and stay safe.

Millhouse Apr 17th 2020 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand (Post 12840171)
Hi Folks

Some goodish news. After much nagging the New employer has issued a work permit and basic health insurance.

So I’m planning on sticking around and keeping my fingers crossed. If not, I’ll head back to blighty.

just as well - they just cancelled my flight booked on 22 May, so who knows what’s going on but we aren’t leaving any time soon.

carcajou Apr 18th 2020 1:12 am

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand (Post 12840171)
Hi Folks

That's a much better omen and yes well worth sticking around now.

Good luck.

SandyMcSand May 4th 2020 5:57 pm

Hi folks.

hope everyone is keeping well?

Luckily I wasn’t holding my breath, job offer has been withdrawn. I was told today that they will be deferring my start date Indefinitely without giving me an actual start date. Knowing that my entry permit expires a day after the previous start date I pushed them to commit to a start date and the offer was withdrawn.

I’ve been advised by peers to lodge a complaint with the MOL in the hope of covering some costs (lost income, repatriation costs etc) as I have a signed mohre contract and they would be in breach of contract.

What would be the likelihood of a Positive outcome? Worth the hassle or pack it in and head home?

sandman

carcajou May 4th 2020 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand (Post 12848229)
Hi folks.

hope everyone is keeping well?

Luckily I wasn’t holding my breath, job offer has been withdrawn. I was told today that they will be deferring my start date Indefinitely without giving me an actual start date. Knowing that my entry permit expires a day after the previous start date I pushed them to commit to a start date and the offer was withdrawn.

I’ve been advised by peers to lodge a complaint with the MOL in the hope of covering some costs (lost income, repatriation costs etc) as I have a signed mohre contract and they would be in breach of contract.

What would be the likelihood of a Positive outcome? Worth the hassle or pack it in and head home?

sandman

Not a good likelihood of success. Pack it in and head home.

This scenario happens frequently in the Middle East.

SandyMcSand May 25th 2020 2:43 pm

Hi folks, got a weird update and need some advice...

So when things went t*ts up with company A, I started applying and managed to land a new job with company B - something actually quite secure with a major IT firm (long term project) and a solid pay rise.

I accept the new offer and then out of the blue company A comes back to me with a fixed start date (next week).

Now I have two job offers...crazy world!!! I’m more inclined to join Company B, Company A is heavily reliant on KSA business and I’m not sure how stable it will be in the long run and not happy with how they’ve treated me these last few months.

Company A were in the process of completing my Visa/E-ID when they withdrew the offer initially but left it open so I could have extra time to leave the uae. They’ve now proceeded to conclude the visa process and have requested my passport for visa stamping etc (process previously stalled after the medical had been done) Can I just tell them I’m no longer interested and not start with them and ask them to cancel my visa?

Or should I join and complete the 30 day notice period?

I really don’t want to mess anyone around, even though they totally *****ed me around for months. It’s a huge multinational conglomerate and I doubt they’d pursue a labour ban. I’m more inclined to starting with them, resining and fulfilling my notice period and then join Company B once all checks clear? Im
also conscious that my visa is currently is up in the air?

Thoughts?

martinbkk May 25th 2020 3:14 pm

Is outfit A the sort you could pick up the phone to and speak to someone familiar with your situation and the history? If so it might be worth a call and lay it all out. Explain that their fumbling left you in a concerned position and you had little option but to canvass other alternatives. As it turns out you have now on the table a better offer that you feel is more secure. Tell them that you are sorry for any inconvenience but in the end its not really anyone's fault but theirs for the delay.
So long and thanks for all the fish!

SandyMcSand May 25th 2020 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 12857688)
Is outfit A the sort you could pick up the phone to and speak to someone familiar with your situation and the history? If so it might be worth a call and lay it all out. Explain that their fumbling left you in a concerned position and you had little option but to canvass other alternatives. As it turns out you have now on the table a better offer that you feel is more secure. Tell them that you are sorry for any inconvenience but in the end its not really anyone's fault but theirs for the delay.
So long and thanks for all the fish!

They’re a ‘big 4’ consultancy driven by ego and bs. I’m not expecting them to take it well - just how consulting is unfortunately. Either way they’re not going to be happy. My main concern is will it have an impact on my other option, visa issues etc?

If I refuse to start with them and Ask them to cancel the visa will it have any bearing on the new visa application for company B? Or shall I proceed with starting, resign and work my 30 day notice. Granted I won’t be popular but at least I won’t be getting daggers at the water cooler! I’m thinking this way I can avoid any issues by demonstrating that I’ve completed the notice period.