Stopover in Dubai

Old Jun 13th 2006, 8:50 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stopover in Dubai

Hi,

I've posted this on the Australia forum and not had much response so thought I would try here.

I've booked our flights home for Christmas (woohoo! ) and we're staying in Dubai for a couple of days on the way back.

I'm only interested in shopping, not beaches etc. so could anyone reccommend a good reasonably priced hotel (4* or better) near a good shopping area? I've been looking at websites but its confusing when you don't know an area. Even those hotels close to shops seem to be still a taxi ride away.

Also, does anyone know which are the good shopping areas and which to avoid? The Movenpick Hotel seems to tick all the right boxes. Has anyone stayed there?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Jane
Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:20 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopover in Dubai

Movenpick is OK, but for my money I'd stay at the Novotel near Emirates Towers - or the Ibis is next door to it.
Don't worry about being next to a mall, there's loads and loads of them and taxi's are really cheap.
Also t the aforementioned Hotels, your on the right side of the Creek, don't even think about anything in Bur Dubai or Deira, just don't do it.

Have fun when you get here, we do, well most do apart from W10, TA5..... the list goes on.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:28 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Hi,

I've posted this on the Australia forum and not had much response so thought I would try here.

I've booked our flights home for Christmas (woohoo! ) and we're staying in Dubai for a couple of days on the way back.

I'm only interested in shopping, not beaches etc. so could anyone reccommend a good reasonably priced hotel (4* or better) near a good shopping area? I've been looking at websites but its confusing when you don't know an area. Even those hotels close to shops seem to be still a taxi ride away.

Also, does anyone know which are the good shopping areas and which to avoid? The Movenpick Hotel seems to tick all the right boxes. Has anyone stayed there?

Jane
This again depends on your budget.
I have not stayed in the Movenpick, but wasted days in the club downstairs!
MJC is correct, taxi's are cheap and plentiful and the town does tend to be a bit spread out. If you want to do the malls then using a cab is unavoidable..no-one walks.
Ibis,Novotel,Crown Plaza,Tower Rotana etc are all good choices.

personal preference prevails.

Rgds
JD
Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:51 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, there are enough bad reviews on www.tripadvisor.com to put me off your suggestions, except perhaps the Novotel!

What is wrong with Bur Dubai? That's where the Movenpick is, and, like I said, I don't know the country at all and so value your opinions and local knowledge.

Jane
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:01 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

What is wrong with Bur Dubai? That's where the Movenpick is,
Let's just say there's a thriving nightlife and you may get too much attention from men in cars if you walk the streets there.

The Moven pick is a little further away from that particular area tho, but I don't rate it or the area, getting a cab will be more difficult there too, it's a hectic area, getting around is a pain and if you want to go to the malls like Emirates Towers (Chloe, LV etc.), Ibn Battuta (decent) or MOE - Mall of the Emirates - with the largest indoor ski slope in the world and harvey nichols etc. etc., it'll take you forever from Movenpick.

Seriously take a look at Novotel, I stayed there when I first came here and had no complaints, it has a blues bar, great steak restaurant - run by an Aussie, and a decent pool/bar.

Good luck.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:14 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, there are enough bad reviews on www.tripadvisor.com to put me off your suggestions, except perhaps the Novotel!

What is wrong with Bur Dubai? That's where the Movenpick is, and, like I said, I don't know the country at all and so value your opinions and local knowledge.

Jane
Because the area is loaded with whores?......and pissed up blokes looking for whores.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:25 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Because the area is loaded with whores?......and pissed up blokes looking for whores.
You have such a fine command of the English Language Mr. Dodgers.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:23 pm
Up in the air

I was skooled proper like.

JD....telling it like it is since 1973
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:25 pm
Up in the air

and almost on 5,000 posts...sweeeet

and its only taken me a year and a half!...........
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Calgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really nice

Hi,

Jane
i have stayed at hotel "al-sham"( i think thats what its called) the room and hotel were clean, it was only 10 minutes away from main shopping plaza. hope this helps

Khan
Old Jun 13th 2006, 8:32 pm