Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Still Want me to Come to Dubai?

Still Want me to Come to Dubai?

Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:28 pm
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Still Want me to Come to Dubai?

Hi

I have negotiated a really good package for myself to come work for a big aussie company who merged last year with a big Dubai company, you now know who I mean

Anyway, I know for a fact that they have given nearly every one in the office notice, including the guy who interviewed me and the HR girl who has done most of the negotiations, they tell me because I will be based on site this will not effect me.

I heard that some of the people paid off had only been in the country for 4weeks and given notice,

I have told them I am not going but they are continuing to chase me to go telling me that I will be ok on site etc etc. I have told them that I do not want to work for a company who treats people like that never mind their own staff.

Have I done the right thing?

Andy
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still Want me to Come to Dubai?

I think you have already answered your own question.

Trust your instincts, they are usually right.

Alternatively, tell them your concerns and ask for a years wages upfront as security. If they really want you that much..
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:47 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I would bin it. Is your job back home secure?

If so, stay for the time being.

Its a pretty good indication when the people who interviewed you have all been punted..

As admon says, demand a golden handshake. You know they are never going to give you one but hell, ask anyway

Good luck, just bad timing...
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:26 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theduke
Hi

I have negotiated a really good package for myself to come work for a big aussie company who merged last year with a big Dubai company, you now know who I mean

Anyway, I know for a fact that they have given nearly every one in the office notice, including the guy who interviewed me and the HR girl who has done most of the negotiations, they tell me because I will be based on site this will not effect me.

I heard that some of the people paid off had only been in the country for 4weeks and given notice,

I have told them I am not going but they are continuing to chase me to go telling me that I will be ok on site etc etc. I have told them that I do not want to work for a company who treats people like that never mind their own staff.

Andy
Congratulations, my friend. It's rare these days to find a person who has principles and sticks by them. You probably did the right thing as so many companies are laying off staff right now. Incidentally I have no idea who the big Aussie company who merged with a Dubai company is, but if you don't want to name them, that's okay.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Andy
I would say if your UK employment is stable stay where you are, I know companies that have rather than withdrawn the offer they have allowed people to relocate and then terminated with a weeks notice.

If they want you that bady then ask them for a 6 month notice period, that way at least you have 6 months salary.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:03 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by banter64
I would say if your UK employment is stable stay where you are, I know companies that have rather than withdrawn the offer they have allowed people to relocate and then terminated with a weeks notice.

If they want you that bady then ask them for a 6 month notice period, that way at least you have 6 months salary.
don't actually live in UL anymore, I live in New Zealand and yes my job is safe here, infact I have been offered a wage rise and a promotion if I stay!

The company is Al Habtoor Leighton(hopefully I don't get shot)
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i am sure they are 'being' affected just like the rest of the others are here in both dubai and abu dhabi. i wouldnt come.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

ketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really nice

If you have these doubts, stay were you are and look what will happen.
You are save in NZ and will be save there. so if the new company shot their people like you tell, enjoy NZ and feell good.
Trust your instincts, the best dedision you can make.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

The company is Al Habtoor Leighton(hopefully I don't get shot)
STAY WHERE YOU ARE
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

sounds like banter64 is trying to 'fill you in'...I agree completely- you'd think there would be someone qualified enough to fill the position, out of all the job losses so far....the resumes are flying all over the place at the moment- people begging for interviews....
anyway trust an aussie at your peril

STAY WHERE YOU ARE
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

STAY WHERE YOU ARE
2nd that
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

If they really want you then ask for a sign-on bonus that's equivalent to your 1 year's current salary and discuss your apprehensions......
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
If they really want you then ask for a sign-on bonus that's equivalent to your 1 year's current salary and discuss your apprehensions......
I did say exactly that way back in post 3..
Old Dec 17th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai is an amazing place to live and work, but your timing stinks.
Maybe check in again next year?

2009 is going to be a weird year.

STAY WHERE YOU ARE
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Admon - just saw your post #3..... Yeah, basically agreed and repeated what you said. But after seeing banter's post I'd now ask for 24 months wages in advance....lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.