Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Staying in Dubai- Buying vs Renting

Staying in Dubai- Buying vs Renting

Old Apr 13th 2016, 4:20 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staying in Dubai- Buying vs Renting

I think I am aright in saying that another consideration is that you are not allowed to do a final exit from Dubai unless all loans and debts are paid.

This would mean that you would have to sell your property before you leave.

This would be compounded and made worse if the value of your property had gone down below the value of the mortgage/loan (as it did around 2007) and you would have to pay off the difference in the loan.

A work colleague bought a villa for around £250,000 in 2007. By 2009 it was worth half that. Luckily she was able to stay working in Dubai until it recovered back to it's original value.

Another colleague has paid the deposit for a property in 2007 using a loan. The property has never been built. They are currently fighting to have the loan wiped as the building is unlikely to happen.

Rent, Rent, Rent, Rent every time
Old Apr 13th 2016, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a big boat and live in a harbour...actually a friend of a friend did this an AUH in the silly times of 2007.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 10:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Oooohhh. High praise from the all-knowing one..

If O&G's love affair with me ever cools, I might head for the finance world..!!!
Do I make you feel good?
Old Apr 13th 2016, 10:43 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WowEyes
The thought of all that rent money is just making me cry.....

DH's company offers an all in cash package - no housing there.

Maybe I can search for a job with one of these lovely companies that offer HA and allow rent to buy..... How do I find them?
You also need a deposit of 25%, plus other fees which are in the region of 5-8%.

Buying here has to be a long term option taken on with your eyes open. Don't believe the hype, property is not immune from risk, and pay attention to what everyone is saying on here. We might know a thing or two about what goes on...
Old Apr 14th 2016, 11:41 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Well - whose buying all these properties here then?? I think for expats it's mostly Indians, Pakistanis and Brits. in that order. Lots of people buy and sell property here all the time. I bought a property in 2007. If I sold it now for even less than I paid for it I would make money on the currency if converting to Sterling.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 1:27 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

No doubt people do make money on it. The point is there are far more risks than buying property in other countries. There are investment professionals in these forums.

I'm glad to hear you could still make money on yours. I know people who have lost a lot on property because speculation and short term gains nature of the region overrides all other considerations.

N.
Quite. Just because one person has done alright, over a period of nine years I note, it doesn't mean everyone else would be okay. Could "logic" be more flawed?
Old Apr 17th 2016, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Quite. Just because one person has done alright, over a period of nine years I note, it doesn't mean everyone else would be okay. Could "logic" be more flawed?
They were also saved by a 30%+ drop in the value of the GBP. In local currency it's probably break even of negative.

The 30% GBP drop won't be repeated for a while - unless of course BREXIT totally destroys the currency.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 11:20 am
Bored liberal

Most people use emotion rather than logic to invest.

N.
Which is why so many are so bad at it...
Old Apr 17th 2016, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

WowEyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm..... property prices in central London are becoming un-affordable. Maybe time to buy a cottage on the southern coast of France or Italy.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

No one knows what BREXIT will do.

But I think totally destruction of the currency of the world's 5th largest economy is a rather silly.

There will be short term movements based entirely on sentiment then when people realise the crops haven't failed and babies aren't being born with two heads they will carry on as usual.

Long term it could be very interesting. The UK's trade deficit with Europe is shocking. Being able to trade freely with anyone could close the deficit gap and put the UK on a stronger footing.

N.
I do not disagree with you. (Which is why I said there will not be a currency saviour for the UAE housing investments by Brits).

But do not forget September 16th, 1992.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:06 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Do I make you feel good?
Im purring with pleasure...!!!