British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Stay At Home Dad Moving to Dubai... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/stay-home-dad-moving-dubai-798805/)

Enzed Jun 1st 2013 9:13 pm

Stay At Home Dad Moving to Dubai...

First post, so go easy on me....

My wife and i are being posted to Dubai for 18-24months in a few weeks and unusually, or so it seems, its for her job, not mine!

We're just finishing our maternity leave in New Zealand so i'll be looking after our little boy when we get there.

Thats exciting, if not a little daunting. Given this is the first time i've lived in an Islamic country, it also throws up a few questions i'm hoping you can help with!

- If i'm at home with the baby, is this going to cause problems being alone in the house with a housemaid or nanny?

- if I host "coffee morning" (a regular thing here in NZ) will I get in trouble if there is only one other female and another baby?!?

It would be good to hear from any other Stay at home dads or partners of to see how they've got on.

All we need to do now is find a house and a car....

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bob Jun 1st 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Stay At Home Dad Moving to Dubai...

You're moving to DXB, not the KSA...

Welcome to BE and good luck though!

Enzed Jun 1st 2013 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10736047)
You're moving to DXB, not the KSA...

Welcome to BE and good luck though!

So it's not THAT bad then?!? As a newbie to the region, it seems a lot of the feedback you get is highlighting the 'issues'.

My assumption would be that others more familiar provide a guideline. It's always good to test assumptions though....

Bob Jun 1st 2013 10:52 pm

Well there's plenty of info in previous threads on SAHM's, but similar thing really and lot in the wiki for stuff to do.

The big issues tend to revolve around cost of housing followed by cost of schooling and ability to get kids in school and everything else is fluff.

Eva Jun 1st 2013 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Enzed (Post 10735983)

My wife and i are being posted to Dubai for 18-24months in a few weeks and unusually, or so it seems, its for her job, not mine!

We're just finishing our maternity leave in New Zealand so i'll be looking after our little boy when we get there.

Thats exciting, if not a little daunting. Given this is the first time i've lived in an Islamic country, it also throws up a few questions i'm hoping you can help with!

- If i'm at home with the baby, is this going to cause problems being alone in the house with a housemaid or nanny?

- if I host "coffee morning" (a regular thing here in NZ) will I get in trouble if there is only one other female and another baby?!?

It would be good to hear from any other Stay at home dads or partners of to see how they've got on.

Why would you need a nanny if you are at home with the bebe ?
I don t think you can ask these questions and assume '..all you need to
do is find a house and car'
Let your wife do the recon,you stay @ home with the bebe and family and
friends.No,you won t be the first hands on Dad when you arrive in UAE but
at least you will have given your wife the distance to decide if it will work
out for you as a growing family.
Keep your options open back home for a few months as it can all go pear shaped
thru' no fault of those brought out on the promise of Nirvana.
Good,luck.

Millhouse Jun 2nd 2013 4:45 am

You will have no issues what-so-ever with what you have said. I know a couple of stay at home dads and they seem to have it figured out.

That said, my experience is that the bitch-head-up-arse school mums here shun the stay at home fathers almost as much as they do the washing up. It'll be fine - you just need to work on it a bit.

No touching the maid when you are alone with her all day. That's not what they are there for.

flares Jun 2nd 2013 4:52 am

daytime milf ogling yoga classes!!

Millhouse Jun 2nd 2013 5:12 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10736317)
daytime milf ogling yoga classes!!

Let us also not forget the back line of a spinning class.

Quackers Jun 2nd 2013 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10736308)
You will have no issues what-so-ever with what you have said. I know a couple of stay at home dads and they seem to have it figured out.

That said, my experience is that the bitch-head-up-arse school mums here shun the stay at home fathers almost as much as they do the washing up. It'll be fine - you just need to work on it a bit.

No touching the maid when you are alone with her all day. That's not what they are there for.

I know a Filipina maid who has friends that are 'touched up' all the time but that's by their Arab boss. My maid friend has worked for 2 Western families where the guy is at home working and has had no problems.

Get a playstation/Xbox and good internet connection. Don't have coffee mornings...have parties :p

Dubai feels more western that muslim so you will have fun :thumbup:

Blue Cat Jun 2nd 2013 6:28 am

Why do you need a housemaid or a Nanny, that's your job :) enjoy it I did :)

Quackers Jun 2nd 2013 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10736389)
Why do you need a housemaid or a Nanny, that's your job :) enjoy it I did :)

The guys who need a housemaid are the bachelors and the're the ones who are not allowed :thumbdown:

Obviously bachelors will 'fiddle' but married men won't :D

I think it's a bargain at 2K/month

Ronnie Biggs Jun 3rd 2013 4:08 am

Whoever you have been speaking with knows **** all about Dubai, that's for sure. Not sure you'll want to host any coffee mornings after the first batch of horrendous Jumeirah Janes have left your gaff with their noses in the air.

This post was brought to you by bobbymcferrin.com

Enzed Jun 3rd 2013 4:38 am

you guys crack me up!!!

Thanks for the reassurances. They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, so imagine what **** all does?!

I can imagine what its like with some of the expat wives - I've seen a few in action in London & Auckland.

I'll be working freelance/remotely from home and will also be training a fair bit for international competitions, so it will be necessary to have a housemaid/nanny a few days a week. It'll be sweet as.

If you know of any stay at home dads with 10-14 months olds, ask them to PM me. They can let me know the best spin classes...

Victor Meldrew Jun 4th 2013 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 10737856)
Whoever you have been speaking with knows **** all about Dubai, that's for sure. Not sure you'll want to host any coffee mornings after the first batch of horrendous Jumeirah Janes have left your gaff with their noses in the air.

This post was brought to you by bobbymcferrin.com

Ditto the JJ comment. There are some not very nice JJ's out there who love to stir trouble and cause problems. The worst ones are the 'nouveau riche' types who don't have the culture to go with the money.

andrewmorris2 Jun 4th 2013 6:13 pm

It was the same for my wife & I before moving to Al Ain, Abu Dhabi.
We researched the net, bought tonnes of books and emailed friends. Nothing can prepare you other than living here and gaining the experience first hand. I would honestly say 98% of the things you here, you can totally ignore!
It isn't as strict as they said, other wise we wouldn't be here. Dubai is more a holiday destination anyways, so more is forgiven there. Al Ain is where the locals live and should be more strict. It's totally fine though. I haven't had one problem whilst living here. It'll be 2 years this September. Good Luck!