Stay in DXB or Move back to London

Stay in DXB or Move back to London

Old Nov 24th 2020, 7:27 pm
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stay in DXB or Move back to London

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
As above - but i would recommend boarding schools. Cold showers and buggery before breakfast makes a man (perhaps a horse thrashing) - but those were the golden days (now a days its all touchy feely hogwash or as i am led to believe from my newphews)
The joke in the 90's was whether the schools had a booze and drugs problem. The view was that there was no problem, everything was readily available.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fth
The joke in the 90's was whether the schools had a booze and drugs problem. The view was that there was no problem, everything was readily available.
Our school was progressive we had the full compliment - booze readily available, drugs was a minor select people, fraud was a big event (even the school master got involved (allegedly to protect my self !) with running off with a dinner lady and taking the fees and he was a JP !!)

Thanks
Old Nov 25th 2020, 8:40 am
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Our school was progressive we had the full compliment - booze readily available, drugs was a minor select people, fraud was a big event (even the school master got involved (allegedly to protect my self !) with running off with a dinner lady and taking the fees and he was a JP !!)

Thanks
Were we at the same school? I had my maths teacher run off with the Senior prefect.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I was privately educated, including at public school, and I can't fault the quality of the education I received. Now watching my nephews go through the private sector I do have more mixed feelings. The schools can inspire self-confidence but it can also lead to a misplaced sense of arrogance. If you're from a stable family and have access to a good state school then your long term outcome isn't going to be different - especially if you know what to do and what to look for. The advantages often attributed to a private education is really because of the pupils' families rather than the school (which is also why the mantra among some to abolish private schools is such a massive pointless red herring, it won't make a single difference). Private schools remain wonderful places for many kids and there are too many bog standard schools who care more about imposing a one size fits all education on all kids, but there's also an advantage to tossing the kids into the rough and tumble of state schooling and let them fight for survival. End of the day, it really comes down to each child's needs.

Also agree the schools aren't what they were 20-30 years ago. Much more touchy feeling, for better or worse. Ironically, in the old days there was higher tolerance for jinxes and boys being boys that's not quite accepted any more.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 5:23 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
...there's also an advantage to tossing the kids into the rough and tumble of state schooling and let them fight for survival.'
You make is sound like something out of Gladiator.
I went to state then private school, academically I don't think the investment in the private school was worth it (I got crap results). I did have some good nights out in the Coach and Eight and Klute before crawling back though.
Since moving back we were planning to send our daughter to a private school, but the standard of state schools where we live is very high. The teachers aren't young and fit, but they have the teaching experience that we thought was lacking when paying 70,000 dh a year.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
You make is sound like something out of Gladiator.
I went to state then private school, academically I don't think the investment in the private school was worth it (I got crap results). I did have some good nights out in the Coach and Eight and Klute before crawling back though.
Since moving back we were planning to send our daughter to a private school, but the standard of state schools where we live is very high. The teachers aren't young and fit, but they have the teaching experience that we thought was lacking when paying 70,000 dh a year.
The Coach & Eight and Klute , blast from the blast those gaffs . Klute was still going a while ago as well .
Old Nov 26th 2020, 8:04 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
The Coach & Eight and Klute , blast from the blast those gaffs . Klute was still going a while ago as well .
Last time I tried to get in, they were only allowing students in...no great loss though:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8qbz...club-in-europe
Old Dec 13th 2020, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by omair85
Lol! Brexit did just that! I was set for a position to manage EMEA and UK out of London but thanks to Brexit, the bank moved it’s operations to Dublin and Luxembourg.
There are commercial bankers living in Dublin and Luxembourg? People actually invest real money with them?