Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Stay in DXB or Move back to London

Stay in DXB or Move back to London

Old Nov 18th 2020, 11:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay in DXB or Move back to London

Originally Posted by Scamp
I had a sailing club at my school, was my absolute fave.
I'm pretty sure that the highlight at my school was chess club, I certainly never got to do even a quarter of the stuff my kids get to do! Times have certainly changed, that's for sure.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 18th 2020 at 12:06 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm pretty sure that the highlight at my school was chess club, I certainly never got to do even a quarter of the stuff my kids get to do! Times have certainly changed, that's for sure.
It was fight club at my school.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

There's probably a different sort of bullying and trouble here but the nature of the environment would make me think you'd end up with a kid who's at least far more aware and accepting of different nationalities / cultures.
Master Millhouse represents one of the 25% of kids in his school that is not BAME. COVID is running rife.

It'll toughen him up. He tells me he is the smartest non Asian in the school. I have a feeling that means he is in the bottom 25%.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It was fight club at my school.
Did you not get the memo? You're not supposed to talk about it.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Master Millhouse represents one of the 25% of kids in his school that is not BAME. COVID is running rife.
Is there any attempt to control covid, or does the school carry on regardless? I'd heard that Dubai schools were pretty relaxed by comparison to AD.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 5:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It'll toughen him up. He tells me he is the smartest non Asian in the school. I have a feeling that means he is in the bottom 25%.
My Mrs did her post-grad teacher training at a school which I had family go to years before, it was an all-girls Catholic school with nuns and all sorts.
When she did her training it was the same as you describe but the 75% was split between Indian/Pakistani and Polish. Fascinating shift in only about 15 years.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by csdf
Is there any attempt to control covid, or does the school carry on regardless? I'd heard that Dubai schools were pretty relaxed by comparison to AD.
masks between classes and self isolation for contacts. He is currently on a self isolation period.

Old Nov 19th 2020, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

My Mrs did her post-grad teacher training at a school which I had family go to years before, it was an all-girls Catholic school with nuns and all sorts.
When she did her training it was the same as you describe but the 75% was split between Indian/Pakistani and Polish. Fascinating shift in only about 15 years.
I've been whiling away the lockdown by binge watching old BBC programmes from the 70s - 90s. I remember the late 80s as I was born in 1980. It really is startling how "white" Britain was in those days. And that's within my lifetime. Having said that, there were minority populations and judging from the television of the time, I can see why they felt ignored and marginalised. Even into the mid 2000s, up till about 2005ish, it was perfectly normal to have all white productions and nary a BAME character. But there still has been a huge explosion in BAME populations (thank you Tony Blair) since the late 1990s. I think most younger people today really don't realise how heavily white Britain was prior to 2000, especially outside London and a few key areas like Bradford. Even London was much, much whiter in those days.

Equally fascinating is how the dominant cultural war topic has shifted from class to race in the same time frame. The angry left of the 1980s and 1990s were obsessed with class and the oppression of the working classes. It was the great British disease. A tremendous amount of Labour's efforts were devoted to trying to improve the lot of the working classes by throwing endless amounts of free money at them. Now, suddenly, class has almost disappeared literally overnight. Labour no longer cares about class. They old white working class? They're just oppressors in the system of institutional racism, the fashionable pet cause of today's sanctimonious left wing intelligentsia.

Of course, in those days Labour were only enabling the failures of large segments of working class Britain by allowing them to blame all their problems on an institutional class divide that was against them at every turn rather than their own actions and decisions, and today's Labour is also enabling the failures of large segments of BAME by allowing them to blame all their problems on an institutional racism rather than their own actions and decisions. Labour never learns in their hunt for the next perpetual victims.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Nov 19th 2020 at 1:55 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I've been whiling away the lockdown by binge watching old BBC programmes from the 70s - 90s. I remember the late 80s as I was born in 1980. It really is startling how "white" Britain was in those days. And that's within my lifetime. Having said that, there were minority populations and judging from the television of the time, I can see why they felt ignored and marginalised. Even into the mid 2000s, up till about 2005ish, it was perfectly normal to have all white productions and nary a BAME character. But there still has been a huge explosion in BAME populations (thank you Tony Blair) since the late 1990s. I think most younger people today really don't realise how heavily white Britain was prior to 2000, especially outside London and a few key areas like Bradford. Even London was much, much whiter in those days.

Equally fascinating is how the dominant cultural war topic has shifted from class to race in the same time frame. The angry left of the 1980s and 1990s were obsessed with class and the oppression of the working classes. It was the great British disease. A tremendous amount of Labour's efforts were devoted to trying to improve the lot of the working classes by throwing endless amounts of free money at them. Now, suddenly, class has almost disappeared literally overnight. Labour no longer cares about class. They old white working class? They're just oppressors in the system of institutional racism, the fashionable pet cause of today's sanctimonious left wing intelligentsia.

Of course, in those days Labour were only enabling the failures of large segments of working class Britain by allowing them to blame all their problems on an institutional class divide that was against them at every turn rather than their own actions and decisions, and today's Labour is also enabling the failures of large segments of BAME by allowing them to blame all their problems on an institutional racism rather than their own actions and decisions. Labour never learns in their hunt for the next perpetual victims.
so stay or go? we specifically chose his current school.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

so stay or go? we specifically chose his current school.
If he's happy and parents think he's getting a good education, then why move him?

Don't misread my post. People running away from a diverse student body are just as bad as those who see an all white student body and say we have a problem.

Just make sure he doesn't get suckered into the emperor's new clothes world of self-righteous Guardian progressives.
Old Nov 21st 2020, 4:30 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not send the wife and kids back to the UK and you stay working in Dubai? They visit you during the UK school hols. and you visit them using your annual leave. You'll get a surprising amount of time together as a family. See it as a sort of phased repatriation, with you joining them in the UK a few years time.

If your wife chooses to work in the UK, then you can put all her earnings into a pension for her and you both live off of your Dubai earnings. That way you can both live tax-free, quickly clear any mortgage or debts and salt away what's left for an early retirement somewhere warm.

Definately put the kids through private school in the UK, it will be the best investment you ever make.
Old Nov 21st 2020, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Why not send the wife and kids back to the UK and you stay working in Dubai? They visit you during the UK school hols. and you visit them using your annual leave. You'll get a surprising amount of time together as a family. See it as a sort of phased repatriation, with you joining them in the UK a few years time.

If your wife chooses to work in the UK, then you can put all her earnings into a pension for her and you both live off of your Dubai earnings. That way you can both live tax-free, quickly clear any mortgage or debts and salt away what's left for an early retirement somewhere warm.

Definately put the kids through private school in the UK, it will be the best investment you ever make.
As above - but i would recommend boarding schools. Cold showers and buggery before breakfast makes a man (perhaps a horse thrashing) - but those were the golden days (now a days its all touchy feely hogwash or as i am led to believe from my newphews)
Old Nov 21st 2020, 12:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Again, depends on the area and how good the schools are there. We looked at private schools for my two but couldn't see any advantage over our local secondary, there are many areas in the country though where I wouldn't have contemplated anything other than private education.
Old Nov 21st 2020, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Again, depends on the area and how good the schools are there. We looked at private schools for my two but couldn't see any advantage over our local secondary, there are many areas in the country though where I wouldn't have contemplated anything other than private education.
I agree. We looked at two private and one select Ed. The private ones had some issues:
1. all boys and zero diversity. The fat headmaster was literally proud of that fact.
2. the other was full of Chinese students that kept themselves to themselves. The other kids did not seem to produce anything special academically.

We put in him a very academically focused school with a huge diversity component. It seems to be better than the others in the area although by how much is debatable.
Old Nov 21st 2020, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Only you know the dynamics at home. The money will never make her happy.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the education is somewhat better in the UK, it isn't.
LMFAO tell me mo secrets ill tell you no lies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.